Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

So which was the best of the 4 away games?

Smiley

Which was the best overall?  

95 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Site Supporter

only did 2 games, plovdiv and guimares...

both were superb in totally different ways, as already mentioned...

plovdiv just edges it coz it was the 1st uefa away game in the clubs history, and i was there! :D/

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

to sum up.

as a bolton fan plovdiv wins

for the piss up portugal

for the adventure turkey

for a proper european football experience marseille.

i am sorry to have missed besiktas and portugal, enjoyed marseille till the game.

But I would have hated to miss Plovdiv, just the idea of watching Bolton in a proper european competition, the journey there, the happy duck, the meat skewers, the coach to the game, the own goal, nolans goal, the price of beer. Was an incredible experience when you consider how bad the team has been in living memory.

Other games will have things that make them 'better' only plovdiv will be the first.

In 20 yars time be interesting how many people claim to have been there......

Guest shropshirebwfc

Shrops did all homes and half aways. Guimaraes was fantastic but regret going with travel club as experience over all too quickly. Stood out cos it was a lifetimes dream to support BWFC abroad. Marseille was brilliant for different reasons. Four of us went and had 2 nights in France (Cannes/Marseille) and all for ??180 incl spends!!! The ground was appalling mind and the policing a throwback to footie in 70's Britain. That makes Portugal best experience but Marseille best trip. Go independently -it's the only way. We MUST do it again next season!

But I would have hated to miss Plovdiv, just the idea of watching Bolton in a proper european competition, the journey there, the happy duck, the meat skewers, the coach to the game, the own goal, nolans goal, the price of beer.

I'd forgotten about the meat skewers! :D

Plovdiv was amazing for being the first away european match. Its sad, but I loved seeing the flares, that really made me feel like I was in europe.

Guim was fantastic for meeting so many w-wayers, spending 3 days in a really nice country and having a great time.

didnt really enjoy marseilles that much because I was so tired, and didnt like the ground.

Dont suppose I can judge fairly because I did the day trip for bulgaria and marseille, and 3 days for Guim.

Went to Plovdiv and Guimaraes.

Plovdiv - Happy Duck Wednesday night fantastic. Liverpool-Chelsea on the tele. No-one cared about it (apart from one scouser). Non-stop singing for hours and hours. Match day - too hungover for words. Meeting the team on the prom before the match provided the perfect cure. Sat on some grass outside the ground with a few Kamenitzas, just watching the coaches coming in was a great way to spend a hour prior to the match. Nolan goal was great. Watched channel 5 when I got home - 5am Friday morning. Saw myself singing like I've never before!

Guimaraes - despite all the above, walking onto the square at 3pm will live with me forever. I must have stood there for about 10 mins before moving. This, in addition to the friendly folk, superbock, getting lost, seeing a bloke, who said he was doing the 'cultural' tour of the town, not able to even walk, and finally vaz te's goal and trying to scramble up the perspex fence mean its Guimaraes for me.

PLOVDIV- First game in europe, smiley's mithering on the coach journey that felt like it would never end O:) , the Horwich freeloaders on the coach :D ,In the Happy Duck watching the floor vibrate to ten german bombers, Damper Dez naked in the Happy Ducks rafters, our mini bus up to the game turning the wrong way dodgy!!, just seeing so many lads who i had grown up with at Burnden buzzing for this one...Nolans goal...corner bar...cs gas...doormen...gypo's..not eating for two days...the team on the prom...

GUIMARAES-It was exactly how i expected... the night before on the square there couldn't of been more than 40 of us, the next day brilliant sun and the place rocked, super bock, Brixton..., Vaz Te...falling pissed when we scored...Priceless...

MARSEILLE-Again as I expected...but not quite as dodgy having experienced it in 98...was the poorest trip personally...but what a atmosphere...that's how football should be watched...and it can be done safely!!!! that square again....sharing a werthers with Biff on the Wednesday night in the Exit bar....but didn't really live up to Guimareas and certainly noy Plovdiv...

So Plovdiv for me...looking forward to another set of trips next year to far flung places with lads who i would happily share a beer with...

LIVE THE DREAM

The best atmosphere inside the stadium by far was Besiktas. Passionate is an understatement for them lads.

The big fat conductor went on to the pitch before the match and as he was walking across to the centre circle you could sense the crowd getting excited. As he pointed to one side of the ground absolutely everyone along that side (lower tier and upper) was stood up and singing and I mean EVERYONE. It wasn't just a gentle sing song there was a lot of anger and pointing across the pitch (I'm sure I heard the word Fenerbache when they were at their most aggressive but I could have been mistaken). Then it all went quiet at that side and the other side of the pitch sung and shouted back even more aggressively than the first lot, and of course the flares were lit, it was an amazing spectacle and one that will stay with me for a long time.

They eat, drink and sleep Besiktas F.C.

The protest at the end of the match against the club and board was an amazing sight. Seats in different parts of the ground were being set on fire and the fans refused to leave the ground. The fans were demanding success as if their lives depended on it. The stewards were powerless to move them so the riot police arrived in numbers with the helmets on and batons.

The best atmosphere inside the stadium by far was Besiktas. Passionate is an understatement for them lads.  

The big fat conductor went on to the pitch before the match and as he was walking across to the centre circle you could sense the crowd getting excited. As he pointed to one side of the ground absolutely everyone along that side (lower tier and upper) was stood up and singing and I mean EVERYONE.  It wasn't just a gentle sing song there was a lot of anger and pointing across the pitch (I'm sure I heard the word Fenerbache when they were at their most aggressive but I could have been mistaken). Then it all went quiet at that side and the other side of the pitch sung and shouted back even more aggressively than the first lot, and of course the flares were lit, it was an amazing spectacle and one that will stay with me for a long time.

when did all of this take place? its news to me.

The big fat conductor went on to the pitch before the match and as he was walking across to the centre circle you could sense the crowd getting excited. As he pointed to one side of the ground absolutely everyone along that side (lower tier and upper) was stood up and singing and I mean EVERYONE.  It wasn't just a gentle sing song there was a lot of anger and pointing across the pitch (I'm sure I heard the word Fenerbache when they were at their most aggressive but I could have been mistaken). Then it all went quiet at that side and the other side of the pitch sung and shouted back even more aggressively than the first lot, and of course the flares were lit, it was an amazing spectacle and one that will stay with me for a long time.

when did all of this take place? its news to me.

Hhhmm, that's what I thought? :-k He must have been p1ssed and dreamt it all :D

thought marseille was good but for me plovdiv wins hands down everytime. cheap, the happy duck, nolans winner etc etc. wen i watch that goal go in again and again it makes the hairs on my neck stand on end. the atmoshere of that trip was superb and it was our very first trip

roll on next year =D> =D> =D> =D>

The protest at the end of the match against the club and board was an amazing sight. Seats in different parts of the ground were being set on fire and the fans refused to leave the ground. The fans were demanding success as if their lives depended on it.  The stewards were powerless to move them so the riot police arrived in numbers with the helmets on and batons.

I actually feel sorry for those of you who made this trip :^o

Most of you missed this due to drink, the rest of you caught some of it.

As you can imagine Channel 5 perfectly captured the atmosphere, the tension the sense of occaision it was the ultimate live broadcast. :^o

much better than being there :D

• Moderators

didn't go to turkey

might regret it one day, but not yet

marseille would have been the best if we'd won - by a mile

guimaraes, all day in that square - fookksake, i've been on burnden with less bolton fans than were there that day

and bulgaria...because we were out in disgrace with 15 minutes left, because of the heat of the day, the darkness of the night, the flares, the noise, my first time watching football abroad, the cracking accomodation we had, i guess the bulgars win

Bulgaria by a country mile. I remember a few days before I went and there were posts on here by people saying there were Hundreds out there already and all the old songs were being heard(something I didnt experience), when we got out there and half time went in the liverpool/chelsea game in the haoppy duck, the atmosphere wasnt something I have never experienced before. I could feel the place shaking.

The owner saying "If you dont calm down the place is going to collapse" :D

And the Nolan goal - Magic

• Moderators

went to Plovdiv and Marseille

Plovdiv has it's obvious merits as it was first game, the final 10 minutes and it was a unique experience

but Marseile wins it for me because had the full day wednesday to get leathered, and the pre game p??ss up defines an away trip for me, also more members of McFly were there, so it was like away trips of a few years back when we were all together on the lash, and that's the sort of trip I'd been waiting for in Europe in a big city against a big European team, regardless of the result

went to Plovdiv and Marseille

Plovdiv has it's obvious merits as it was first game, the final 10 minutes and it was a unique experience

but Marseile wins it for me because had the full day wednesday to get leathered, and the pre game p??ss up defines an away trip for me, also more members of McFly were there, so it was like away trips of a few years back when we were all together on the lash, and that's the sort of trip I'd been waiting for in Europe in a big city against a big European team, regardless of the result

that's why I enjoyed it so much. A full day on the piss beforehand. Able to experience Wednesday night - rather than arrive just as its happening or coming to a close (as was in Istanbul and Guimaraes).

The big fat conductor went on to the pitch before the match and as he was walking across to the centre circle you could sense the crowd getting excited. As he pointed to one side of the ground absolutely everyone along that side (lower tier and upper) was stood up and singing and I mean EVERYONE. It wasn't just a gentle sing song there was a lot of anger and pointing across the pitch (I'm sure I heard the word Fenerbache when they were at their most aggressive but I could have been mistaken). Then it all went quiet at that side and the other side of the pitch sung and shouted back even more aggressively than the first lot, and of course the flares were lit, it was an amazing spectacle and one that will stay with me for a long time.

The protest at the end of the match against the club and board was an amazing sight. Seats in different parts of the ground were being set on fire and the fans refused to leave the ground. The fans were demanding success as if their lives depended on it. The stewards were powerless to move them so the riot police arrived in numbers with the helmets on and batons.

I actually feel sorry for those of you who made this trip :^o

Most of you missed this due to drink, the rest of you caught some of it.

As you can imagine Channel 5 perfectly captured the atmosphere, the tension the sense of occaision it was the ultimate live broadcast. :^o

much better than being there :D

Don't forget this clip, albeit not actually our game

http://www.stabaek-inferno.no/diverse/besiktas.asx

Any of the Plovdiv, Besiktas or Guimares for me. Didn't manage Marseille.

Plovdiv being the first, Besiktas just for the whole time, the game, the social, the atmosphere, and Guimarares - well the square, the beachballs, 10 german bombers, the equaliser.......

but best of all, we got in europe and we were there.....long may it continue !!

Went to Guimaraes and Marseille.

Has to be Guimaraes for the Thursday in the square. made mistake of heading to the fountain square again before walking up to the other 'triangle'. Glad we made the error as the amazing site and sounds when walking through the alley to get to the triangle was unforgetable. The locals were superb, town small enough to make you feel that BWFC had taken it over for the day and finding all these little bars around the square that kept running out of Superbok was like walking into someones house down your road and asking for a beer!

Marseille was totally different. Playing at a European giant was special for all BWFC fans, especially the pre-Rioch era supporters! The atmosphere in the day was nowhere near as good as even the Port area was bigger than Guimaraes and therefore, the fans were spread out too much.

Plus, after my Dad died last year we decided to take my Mum to Marseille (she is a life long fan), so we had to be on our best behaviour :^o

Guimaraes for me then!

They are all special - but the fans make the trips special as well as the actual places.

Plovidv - special as it was our first trip and the singing in the Happy Duck and especially the corner bar (what ever it was called) was amongst the best atmosphere I have ever witnessed at any football jolly.

Turkey - fantastic all round, good match, great in-stadium atmosphere - I watched the match on tele again and the atmosphere just does not come across - one of those where you had to be there I guess.

Portugal - obviously that square but I felt this trip was tarnished a little with all the Bolton knobs who had to kick off on EACH OTHER - what the fcuk is that about??

Frogland - missed it but the match was good and by all accounts the beer sessions were good as well.

Hard to choose a winner really. The winner surely has to be us, the fans.

Only did the Marseille trip, hopefully it won't be the last. View & result aside I enjoyed every minute

of it.

Flew there via Brussels. The Stella at the airport in Brussels was different

class. Even cheered the announcment that the flight was delayed so

we could drink even more

Atmosphere before and after the game down the old port was

superb. Ran into loads of familiar faces and had an ale with most of em.

I reckon we'll get a UEFA cup spot at least this season & I can't wait to do it again next season.

• 2 weeks later...
Hard to choose a winner really. The winner surely has to be us, the fans.

=D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D>

made them all bar the Turkey one, 3 completely different experiences.

Plovdiv, well the first (and for so long appearing to be the only) trip. Did it on a 1 dayer, really wish we'd gone for longer to soak it up.

Guimaries. THAT square. Superbok. The drummers parading to the ground. Vaz Te. 900 miles on empty motorways. Dolphins. Awesome.

Marsaille. A 'proper' europeasn tie, against someone we'd heard of, with players we'd heard of. Dodgy areas, strained tensions at times, arrested by a bus conductor (!!). Pidgeon French 'Je voudrais THREE beers'. Proper riot police. An experience.

Wigan. Been there twice this season. More third world than any of the three euro trips I did.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.