Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

season tickets

add to snackums list of reasons not to renew, the poor match day experience due to the lack of atmosphere [its hard to get excited when your sat on your @rse].also a lot of the crowd dont seem to want to participate by vocally supporting the team.i will be picking and choosing games at the bok and getting to away games when possible where the most passionate of wanderers fans know how to get behind the team.like eaststandlower i miss the atmosphere of the terraces.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

95% of the time the atmosphere at Burnden was Sh??t!

So the no terracing argument doesn't hold much water for me i'm afraid!

But its up to individual supporters whether they get a season ticket, it's the half arsed excuses people seem to give that get on my wick.

If you think you can't make all the games then don't get a season ticket.

But don't get one then spend all season whinging when the KO time is changed for Sky. Unfortunatly Sky money is a necessity in todays money orientated game.

There's plenty of people on here and other sites who complain about the lack of atmosphere at the reebok but if the numbers are that great who want a better atmosphere why can't those voices be heard at the matches?

anyway the point of my ambling rant was to say if you want a season ticket get one if not don't, but don't try and pass off your not renewing with some lame excuse!

Rant over i''m off for an Ovaltine and a sit down now!!!

i have heard from a very good source we have now sold 15,000, thats 25% down on last year, which i feel is very dissapointing,no wonder players dont want to sign and Sam keeps moaning about lack of support from the town.

i am one of these fans that have not renewed my ticket and i dont think i am to blame for bad support or the lack of good players at the bok ive been a season ticket holder for 14 seasons and not once have i seen my hard earned cash spent on quality and over the last 2 seasons the game has gone to pot and im pissed of with tw@ts in orange coats telling me to sit down. so your dissapointing feeling is caused by the club not by those who have finally had enough

I dont know how old your are but if you are old enough to remember the bad old days at burnden park, watching glorified sunday league football, in shocking conditions with toilets swamped with piss, watching bolton away when we did not win in london for eight years and hardly won a handful of away games for 10 years, loosing to shite like aldershot, to consider not watching the club because someone in a orange jacket tells you to sit down i find amazing and sad, as one of the lads who kept believing and supporting the club going through all the shit in 70s 80s it really gets up my nose that we as fans are going to throw away what this club and its loyal hardcore of fans has achieved and our present status in the football world for relatively petty gripes.

remember when we went down in 1979, it took 17 years in the wilderness before we returned to the top division, if we go down again in may be even longer before we return, if ever.

yea i was watching the whites in the old 4th division and as i know how good it is to be a top flight club now i also know that since we went to the bok its not about the football anymore its more about the money id quite happily swap the next 30 seasons to stand on the terrace again and watch the whites play real football instead of paying ??40 a game and watching a load of over payed players spend 30 out of 90mins rolling around on the floor. and as for the stewards i grew up on the terrace and its not in my nature to sit and watch a game let alone pay 4and a half hundred quid for some some jumped up little kid to tell me hes gonna throw me out if i stand up again

But the stewards are only doing their job ](*,)

They are employed to ensure safety and that everyone gets a fair view of the pitch. They are under instructions.

But its up to individual supporters whether they get a season ticket, it's the half arsed excuses people seem to give that get on my wick.

If you think you can't make all the games then don't get a season ticket.  

But don't get one then spend all season whinging when the KO time is changed for Sky. Unfortunatly Sky money is a necessity in todays money orientated game.

There's plenty of people on here and other sites who complain about the lack of atmosphere at the reebok but if the numbers are that great who want a better atmosphere why can't those voices be heard at the matches?

anyway the point of my ambling rant was to say if you want a season ticket get one if not don't, but don't try and pass off your not renewing with some lame excuse!

Rant over i''m off for an Ovaltine and a sit down now!!!

thats exactly the point if you dont want a season ticket dont get one but dont come up with bollox excuses, the matchday experience is up to us the fans to generate.

They are employed to ensure safety and that everyone gets a fair view of the pitch. They are under instructions.

Standing up and singing and chanting has been part of the match day experience since the year dot, and so is having a pint before the match.

The orange men can be too strict and make me feel like I am a 'Banning Order' waiting to happen.

Many times I end up watching the game in the bar on the telly to protect myself.

thing is with terracing though was you could move about to a section where the atmosphere suited you

worst thing they did when relocating to reebok was let the majority of the boring feckers pick there seats first

where they spread themselves out then spread like cancer

I dont think its just bolton fans being fickle its happening to most clubs this season. I was talking to a city fan a few weeks ago and he said theyve sold nowhere near they did last season and a lot of other clubs are the same. Its getting too expensive for a lot of people nowadays imo

Standing up and singing and chanting has been part of the match day experience since the year dot, and so is having a pint before the match.

The orange men can be too strict and make me feel like I am a 'Banning Order' waiting to happen.

Many times I end up watching the game in the bar on the telly to protect myself.

But times have changed, and you have to change with them. Until the clubs finally allow terraced areas again, then its something you have to live with. Or alternatively, get involved with an action group and force BWFC to create a section of the stadium purely for like-minded individuals who want to stand and sing for the entire game.... BUT, let's have it both ways, as soon as you all get bored and decide to sit down and be quiet... then be prepared for the stewards to wade in and crack you with mallets until you all get on your feet again singing.

The townsfolk are extremely fickle and as a result we'll never sell tickets as well as the likes of United, City or Liverpool. Those types of teams can count upon the support of the locals (even United - who do have a lot of Manc fans) and they cna rely upon their reputation as a 'big club' to fill the ground with tourists and coach parties from Wrexham/Dublin/Singapore.

Firstly, we need to tackle this apathy that has got this town in a vice like grip. I started to going to the Wanderers in 1993 (as a 7 year old) and from what I recall the ground was never jam packed full on a consistent basis. Big cup games and some of the Championship winning season were sell outs, but by and large we never sold out. The same can be said of the Reebok - and is exemplified by the attendance for the Plovdiv home game.

The first european game in the history of this football club, with over a century of tradition, was not a sell out. And while the Plovdiv boys hardly brought 5000 people over, Boltonians could simply not be bothered to come and watch history being made by THEIR club.

There will always be supporters who can't afford it or who move away or have work/family to put before the whites. These people aren't the problem - it's the people who CAN go to games yet simply can't be bothered.

Bolton as a town needs to fall back in love with football.

• Moderators

The attendance against Marseille, at home, will be one of the lowest points in our club's history for me. Two of their players played in the World Cup final, it was ??15 or something ](*,)

• Site Supporter
The attendance against Marseille, at home, will be one of the lowest points in our club's history for me. Two of their players played in the World Cup final, it was ??15 or something ](*,)

I think more is made of the 'family day out' bit than the football element these days. I know of quite a few S/T holders who don't go to night matches because the kids get home too late with school in the morning.

Yet at the away leg Marseille saw one of the largest away followings for a European game. :-k

The home leg attendance was pathetic, I couldn't work it out. It was probably the biggest game of our season, I think MickyD is right add the S/T holders with kids to the attendance and it would have been a full house.

We simply don't have very large numbers of active supporters to fill the gap when they don't come to the game.

Plus most folk knew it was on the telly, it was pissing it down and getting to Horwich for any midweek game is a pain in the arse.

Shite excuse, I know, but that would have been some peoples reason - I blame Channel 5 :D

People blame the atmosphere for not getting a season ticket. I am in agreement that the atmosphere at the bok is pretty poor most of the time.

However I can't think of many grounds in the premiership where the atmosphere created from the home fans is good. For example at the Chelsea match last season, when we went 3, 4 and 5 1 down we were still outsinging them. They were the champions, in the best years of there clubs history, watching world class players week in week out and were still being outsung by around 1000 fans watching their team get walked all over.

The fact is that a home match is now a family experience for a lot of people and also a day out for some people.

With the supporters who want to sing all spread out over the stadium the atmosphere will never be too good and that is why away matches have such a good atmosphere most of the time, because you have all the hardcore fans who want to sing all the way through the match all together.

I also think the fact that we have a new stadium doesn't help the atmosphere. I have a friend who is a shitty fan and he said that the atmosphere at the new stadium is pathetic compared to that at maine road, they even played songs through the loud speakers against us :D/, and they are supposed to have some of the best fans in England.

Modern day football is wank...

I can watch all the footie I want in the pub...(if i wanted to)

The attendance at all of our european away games was good because if you looked at it's mix (except Guimaraes) it was mainly a mixture of existing hardcore support and people like myself who wouldn't miss the experience for anything after having 30 years of pooh...

I didn't renew last year and never will again...in fact I have no plans to go back this season...

I think people mainly of my age range 30-40 have had enough and it doesn't float their boats anymore...you could knock as much money as you want off a ticket, it won't make any difference...

and as for it being so important to peoples life...get ragging real..

I could prattle on about the reebok,atmosphere,price etc...

but Mounts...you know i would rather be stood in ankle deep piss surrounded by 5000 other die hards at Burnden, than sat in that Morgue...

you only had to look at Englands fan base at the world cup to see how much the game has changed in this country....it's full of young student types called ollie with spikey hair carrying rucksacks....

RIP

The attendance at all of our european away games was good because if you looked at it's mix (except Guimaraes) it was mainly a mixture of existing hardcore support and people like myself who wouldn't miss the experience for anything after having 30 years of pooh...

I didn't renew last year and never will again...in fact I have no plans to go back this season...

I think people mainly of my age range 30-40 have had enough and it doesn't float their boats anymore...you could knock as much money as you want off a ticket, it won't make any difference...  

but Mounts...you know i would rather be stood in ankle deep piss surrounded by 5000 other die hards at Burnden, than sat in that Morgue...

you only had to look at Englands fan base at the world cup to see how much the game has changed in this country....it's full of young student types called ollie with spikey hair carrying rucksacks....

RIP

You know Ollie?

• Members

RIP

Were you in Germany Bobcat? I did the whole England thing and I may have seen the odd gobshiyte you describe. Most I encountered were hardcore fans of some vintage including a blood spattered meet with some Headhunters. Met a few off here in Nuremberg; Cologne etc. I would be interested to get their perspective.

I do agree, however, with your general gist. The game has lost its passion. It's down to money and pursuit of even more of it as pioneered by Manchester United and now, to an obscene level, by Chelsea.

Give me 5000 diehards on a cold winters day at Burnden for a match v. Huddersfield or summat. Real football played by real men. You can keep your soulless all seater concrete and steel bowls and overpaid prima donnas. W@nky accountants and legal eagles sat in private boxes nibbling cucumber sarnies. What the fook is all that about?

The sanitisers have won. Leave it to em for a few years and it will die in the arse.

I agree that the game has become sanitised,but when you look back to the old days of Burnden and crowds of 5000 etc, YES they were good days at the time - but only because we were younger and dafter.  :D

Now thats sounds like your all owd fuddy duddys's FACT !

The attendance against Marseille, at home, will be one of the lowest points in our club's history for me. Two of their players played in the World Cup final, it was ??15 or something  ](*,)

I think more is made of the 'family day out' bit than the football element these days. I know of quite a few S/T holders who don't go to night matches because the kids get home too late with school in the morning.

what a terrible way to raise children not putting football first. i am glad my parents never did that and we had an hours drive after full time

RIP

a lot of what you say is true, but i refuse to let the powers that be beat me, i still get enough plus points going to the reebok and to away games to justify it, that is not the case for you bobcat and i respect your opinion and your right to not go any more, i hope the the depth of dislike for the modern football experience never happens to me.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.