Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Oi- Book Worms

Bea Smith

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members
Im ditching my usual choice of read as im starting to guess the plot before the end of the first chapter. Ive never read a biography.

Whose do you recommend??

( It has to be amusing rather than sob story and depressing)

'One hump or two' - Frank Worthington. An excellent and amusing read. I particularly enjoyed his analysis of the rather excellent Lada cars supplied to the club by Euroway Car Centre.

'One hump or two' - Frank Worthington. An excellent and amusing read. I particularly enjoyed his analysis of the rather excellent Lada cars supplied to the club by Euroway Car Centre.

lada.jpg

You mean one of these little beauties :)

All the first team squad was supplied with one (1979 ish)

If that wasn't bad enough,each player had their name printed down the side of the car in big fcuk off letters!

My memory is a little hazy on the colours,but i think Peter Reid had one in "Snotty gob green" and Worthys was in " British racing brown" All the players were embarrassed to fcuk. :rofl:

HAPPY DAYS.

Edited by Burndens Bogs

• Members
lada.jpg

You mean one of these little beauties :)

All the first team squad was supplied with one (1979 ish)

If that wasn't bad enough,each player had their name printed down the side of the car in big fcuk off letters!

My memory is a little hazy on the colours,but i think Peter Reid had one in "Snotty gob green" and Worthys was in " British racing brown" All the players were embarrassed to fcuk. :rofl:

HAPPY DAYS.

Frankie boy dumped it at the airport when he fooked off to play in the US - straight outside of the terminal on the double yellows and left the doors open and the engine running! Class act was The Fonz.

Guest not_even_irish

If you can find it (and its as hard as fcuk to find) Bliss to be Alive by Gavin Hills is superb. Its a collection of his writing from various mags and papers he has written for.

Superb.

If you can find it (and its as hard as fcuk to find) Bliss to be Alive by Gavin Hills is superb. Its a collection of his writing from various mags and papers he has written for.

Superb.

Cider with Roadies by Stuart Mconie (or however you spell it) is brilliant. Very funny. Talks about growing up in the North West in the 1970's and all the different bands he was into. Very funny chapter about a job he had in Bolton.

Apparently he was the guy who invented my favourite urban myth (the one about Bob Holness playing the sax solo on Baker Street), when he was writing the Thrills column for NME.

Brilliant book, cant recommend it highly enough, especially if your into your music (and your northern).

Im ditching my usual choice of read as im starting to guess the plot before the end of the first chapter. Ive never read a biography.

Whose do you recommend??

( It has to be amusing rather than sob story and depressing)

Papillon and the follow up Banco by Henri Charriere. The film folows the book-mostly, but the two books are 100 times better

Edited by SE16

Good call.

Papillon is far better than the film IMO.

Traf, dont know if you have read the second one, its a bugger to find but its called Banco. Not as good as Papillon but covers his life after his final escape from French Gyana and starts with his capture on the mainland and his "business" activities after that.

I haven't read it, but Amazon have it, so i might buy it.

Worth a go mate!

p.s Nice Carter lyric, havent heard Sherrif Fatman for years.

I'm not really a fan of footballers autobiographies, but the Phil Stant book is a good read. It has loads of stuff about growing up in Bolton and going into the army. Comes across as a top bloke, nearly signed for us once if memory serves me right.

Edited by kaydan

I generally tend to read autobiography's. These are a few that I can remember at the moment.......

Gazza's = Very good. Couldn't put it down

George Bests = Was ok for a minich

Angela's Ashes = Also a good read (Film missed loads out of the book though)

Brian Keenan (held hostage in Beruit with Terry Waite) = Very good, couldn't put it down

Sharon Osbourne = Not bad. Worth a read.

Touching the Void = Can't remember who wrote it but still a good read.

Also I've read a few different autobiography's were men ended up in the Thai prisons for drug smuggling which were also good, but can't remember the names of them!?

Got most of them at home Missus C. Let me know if you want to borrow any and I'll get them to you? :D

Was it by Joe Simpson, all about climbing in the Peruvian Andes?

It was indeed :good:

fire_touching%20the%20void_lg.jpg

If I had one, it would have a similair title, it would be "Touching Cloth"..........a young mans struggle through life with loose bowels :D

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.