One-stop question thread

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1. The best bars

2. The cheapest bars

3. The rip-off bars

The best bars can be found in the center of the city. Right next to the city square is the river Vardar and the whole back side of the shopping center on the square is full with bars and cafes. On the other side of the square there's the "Makedonija" street which is also full with cafes. On the other side of the street "Makedonija" there's the new shopping center "Ramstor" where you can also find couple of cafes and good shops.

All those bars, cafes, pizzerias... that are located in the center of the city are a little more expensive than the ones that are not in the center. You can find some cheap "old fashion restaurants" in the area called "Debar Maalo" that is right next to the city park and close to the stadium

4. Any small hotels that aren't on the internet

http://www.tims.com.mk/

http://www.hotelsquare.com.mk/

http://www.dalmetfu.com.mk/hotel.html

and also some small ratholes, but I'm sure you're not interested about them

5. Strip joints

6. Whore houses

Not in Skopje cetnre(ish)

7. Money - what do we need?

Denars. On most of the places you can pay with euros, but I recommend you to exchange them in Denars first in exchange office or bank if you want to get better exchange rate

8. Taxis

The taxi from Skopje airport to the center of Skopje shouldn't charge you more than 20euros. The cab drivers will try to rip you because you're a foreigner, so ask first for the price before entering a cab

So if I take my Visa or Matercard it allows me to withdraw Denars from an ATM? I dont have to go to a Bank in Skopje or bring any money with me it can all be withdrawn at an ATM? Are there plenty of ATM's on the main square or near it?

Yes you can take Denars from ATMs with your Visa or Mastercard. There are many ATMs in the city center

Do you know of any decent websites that allow me to translate Macedonian into English without uploading software/dictionaries? Cheers

Go to www.on.net.mk

On the top left corner you'll see "on-line речник"

Choose "Англиски-Македонски" for English to Macedonian or "Македонски-Англиски" for Macedonian to English

Guest squidgy66
Go to www.on.net.mk

On the top left corner you'll see "on-line речник"

Choose "Англиски-Македонски" for English to Macedonian or "Македонски-Англиски" for Macedonian to English

Thanks mate. Will do

and not just English versions, but can choose other languages too :D

i am amazed at the level of friendliness, and equally impressed how welcoming skopje is being portrayed... it so frustrating to know i will be trawling english bars and whore houses come thursday

i sense this will be one to remember for those who get there

bastards

Edited by revdishydave

Apologies if some offend you:

In relation to Skopje cetnre(ish) with any prices:

1. The best bars

2. The cheapest bars

3. The rip-off bars

4. Any small hotels that aren't on the internet

5. Strip joints

6. Whore houses

7. Money - what do we need?

8. Taxis

One-stop question thread

1. The best bars

Kartel

P0135765.jpg

The best disco - Colosseum

P0145932P0145932.jpg

Taxis - Bel Mercedes

The taxi service has been regulated by the City to provide fair service and equal fares. Be extra careful when hailing a taxi - there are many "taxis" that may charge you a lot more for your ride. You are advised to always phone for taxi, especially if you are in the Skopje airport or at the international bus station. All taxis must charge you no more than 20 denars per km with 50 denars minimum.

Typical fare from the airport to the City centre is between 600 and 1000 denars.

Typical fare from the city centre to a more distant urban district (Novo Lisice, Gorce Petrov, Radisani) is about 200 denars. The table at right shows the phone numbers of some of the more popular taxi stations in Skopje. From mobile phones dial +389 2 before the taxi number (e.g. for Bel Mercedes dial +38929183).

There are 4 lads who will need a taxi from Skopje to Sofia Airport at midnight after the game.

How much will this cost them?

To travel 200 KM with a Macedonian taxi will cost you 65 euros ! that wos standard prize this summer. Now i dont know how much KM there is between Skopje - Sofia, so if some of the others no the precise KM between Skopje - Sofia then tell, i belive its somewhere between 200-250 KM, lets say 250 KM then the prize should be about 80-85 euros.

Remember this, 200 KM=65 euros and if there is more then 200 KM to Sofia you do the maths.

Remembers this, cos the taxi driver will prob try to hoax you, he could even take 200 euros from you when he knows your from England, offer him lets say 80 euros ! say take it or leave it, then 5 sec later he will say lets go to Sofia and he will take you for standard prize and not 200 euros.

Edited by Burnie

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.