Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Before The Wways Uefa Section Closes

Burndens Bogs

What was your least favourite Euro trip? - and why?

Also,i think there were 9(?)trips abroad over the 2 campaigns- did many off here do them all?

Did all 9 trips.

Guess that if I really think about it, Belgrade was my least favourite.

What was your least favourite Euro trip? - and why?

Also,i think there were 9(?)trips abroad over the 2 campaigns- did many off here do them all?

Did all 9; although Belgrade turned out to be odd (Hotel Nacional and all) it was memorable, even if for the wrong reasons. I would say the same of Madrid. So on that basis I'd go for Marseille as my least favourite. But we've been lucky in that all have been quite different trips - after all, we could have ended up with 5 or 6 identikit places. But that was not the case - and having summat memorable and different is surely the "point". You're either somewhere you may well end up at again, but the nature of the trip makes it unusual (eg we may well end up back in Madrid, Lisbon, Munich etc., but not with thousands of bevved up Bolton fans for company!), OR somewhere you probably would not have gone to (eg Belgrade, Skopje and - to a lesser extent - Istanbul). And of course though Portugal comes in the former category, Guimaraes itself is a little gem that maybe few of us would have come across. So we've been lucky and had a laugh :good:

I'd go for Marseille too. Not that it was bad, just that Guimaraes, Madrid & Munich were more fun.

Sounds like I did the same 4 trips as you.

The day in Marseille in the square down by the harbour was OK at the time but comparing it all to the other trips now, it was poor.

we may well end up back in Madrid, Lisbon, Munich etc., but not with thousands of bevved up Bolton fans for company!),

Hopefully we are going back to Lisbon later this year with the wifes but it will eerie walking up to Rossio Sq, in fact depressing. :(

Hopefully we are going back to Lisbon later this year with the wifes but it will eerie walking up to Rossio Sq, in fact depressing. :(

I kept telling the wife how shite all the cities were, to avoid such problems in the future :nea:

Guest squidgy66

Didn't really have one that I disliked. They were all very different, but not in a bad way.

If I was pushed I'd say Istanbul as I went for a week and it was waaaay too long in one place.

But we've been lucky in that all have been quite different trips - after all, we could have ended up with 5 or 6 identikit places.

I'd agree with that. Considering some view the UEFA Cup as a third-rate competition we've drawn some top clubs. Marseille, Bayern Munich, Atletico Madrid, Red Star Belgrade, even Besiktas, and when the run came to an end, at least it ended in a fantastic stadium against another famous team, Sporting Lisbon. If we're now on the down slope, these games are going to seem even more remarkable in years to come. Did we REALLY draw 2-2 with the four times European Cup winners in their own back yard?!

Edited by trotter58

Having been to all the UEFA games apart from Besiktas I'd find it hard to find a "worst trip" and even being stuck in that "hotel" in Belgrade, I'd do them all over again.

Did 8 of them, missed Istanbul.

Guimaraes least favourite. Stayed in Porto - what a shit hole.

Did 8 of them, missed Istanbul.

Guimaraes least favourite. Stayed in Porto - what a shit hole.

What is coming through from this thread is that for most Guimaraes was up there with the best...apart for those who stayed in Porto.

Best was definately the Plovdiv game at Bourgas, staying in sunny beach, the drunken duck memories.

:drinks:

The floor in the Happy Duck looking like it was going to cave in with all the bouncing around

BWFC flags on the beach

That other bar upstairs on the corner

Nobody can ever take that from us

:good:

• Site Supporter
:drinks:

The floor in the Happy Duck looking like it was going to cave in with all the bouncing around

BWFC flags on the beach

That other bar upstairs on the corner

Nobody can ever take that from us

:good:

don't tell gordon brown or he will put a retrospctive binge drinking tax on us :drinks:

Did all 9, with a mix of day trips, 1,2,3 & 4 night stays - each with different numbers of lads.

I'd do all of them again, but Belgrade's got to be the worst. Sticking us in that hotel was just a piss take designed to take a few quid off us by charging double the going rate for shit beer.

The best for me was Plovdiv. The combination of 4 days in the sun, the Happy Duck, travelling with a great group on that 1st ever UEFA game was quality. It was also one of our rare wins & meant that we had at least a few more trips lined up. Just a quality trip all round.

If I had to grade them from best to worst, for me personally it was:

1. Plovdiv - Good win, good venue, great BWFC turn out - the usual funny incidents that you get with 11 lads on a 4 day trip!

2. Munich - Fantastic result & a great city.

3. Guimaraes - Hard to beat the atmosphere of being in the square on the day of the game

4. Lisbon - Best of the day trips I did. Great weather & a great atmosphere in the centre of Lisbon. Fantastic Bolton support in the ground, despite the result

5. Marseille - Got a great hotel right on the harbour front & spent a good amount of time pissed in the Marseille fans bar

6. Besiktas - Enjoyed the game the most here. Probably the best atmosphere from a set of home fans that I've ever seen

7. Madrid - Had a good day out the night before & on the day of the game, but the police ruined it. Got split up from everyone in the ground.

8. Rabotnicki - Absolute shit hole of a place full of rubbish & beggars, probably the worst performance on the pitch

9. Belgrade - Spent the day in a "hotel" - Not the best! Decent result tho.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.