Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Guardian Tipsters

top_boy_84

Due to overwhelming demand, below are the Guardian's tips for the day:

You can never be sure in advance how a horse will cope with really fast going, which is what they'll be racing on at Brighton today, and that would be the main worry for Gingham (4.00). Still, she's the only one in this field to have shown real promise and is still progressing. Luca Cumani's three-year-old probably should have won off 73 on her handicap debut last time but should do better after that experience and that would be enough in this maiden. She's a shade under 6-4, but I thought she might be odds-on.

Time For Old Time (2.30) in the opening claimer is another lightly raced, progressive filly who should be able to take advantage of weak opposition to score by the sea. Unpromisingly, she had her first run in a Windsor seller and was sent off at 16-1 but she finished strongly to be a never-nearer fourth. Trainer Ian Wood has disappeared off the radar in recent years and this horse will not be helping him back onto it but she looks good enough to show up three rivals who have already got their connections fearing the worst.

And so to Lingfield, where every finish comes with guaranteed heartbreak, at no extra cost. Whiskey Junction is a strong favourite to make it four in a row but he's been doing his winning elsewhere and we all know what awaits front-runners at Lingfield. Yes, heartbreak. No need to labour the point. Of course, heartbreak also awaits the hold-up horses too, which is what makes this place so special, but it's much easier to take a reverse like that at 12-1 than at 9-4, so Pha Mai Blue (8.00) is the suggestion.

A double-figure price seems a mistake about a horse who won over this course and distance on his most recent visit last month and is just 2lb higher now. That was no fluke - he had previously been beaten less than a length in a maiden round here, so I'm prepared to overlook his moderate form elsewhere and say that this strong finisher has every chance of running down Whiskey Junction close home.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The 2.30 is a poor quality 4 horse race, where if I had to have a bet: I'd be inlcined to look at Dazzling Dust for a bit of value. We do agree that we'd want to oppose the odds on favourite, though.

At 4.00: Gingham is a good call, but it's another poor race really.

In the 8.00, I too would want to be opposing Whiskey Junction. I like the look of Pha Mai Blue, and there's no way it should be the 16/1 outsider of 8 runners. I fancy it to get at least a place, but it might just find China Cherub too good today.

Edited by Traf

2.30 Brighton

1. Time for Old Time 4/1

2. Readily 4/7 fav

3. Dazzling Dust 6/1

4. Benetti 9/1

Well done, Mr Guardian.

Indeed an excellent start to the day.

I'm not so taken with Gingham in the 4:00 as Cumani has been poor with his two year olds most of the season. I prefer the look of Hendersyde (3/1), who has come quite close over further in its first two appearances. The form for his first appearance has also worked out quite well with a couple of subsequent winners (one in a Listed race at Newcastle at the weekend).

In the 8.00, I too would want to be opposing Whiskey Junction. I like the look of Pha Mai Blue, and there's no way it should be the 16/1 outsider of 8 runners. I fancy it to get at least a place, but it might just find China Cherub too good today.

We were both wrong to oppose Whiskey Junction. It ended up winning as 3/1 2nd fav.

1. Whiskey Junction 3/1 2nd fav

2. Vintage 8/1

3. Yankee Storm 11/4 fav

For the record: China Cherub didn't beat Pha Mai Blue: CC was last of 8, PMB was 5th.

So the Guardian had a 4/1 winner today and 2 unplaced. Profit on the day using level stakes.

We were both wrong to oppose Whiskey Junction. It ended up winning as 3/1 2nd fav.

1. Whiskey Junction 3/1 2nd fav

2. Vintage 8/1

3. Yankee Storm 11/4 fav

For the record: China Cherub didn't beat Pha Mai Blue: CC was last of 8, PMB was 5th.

So the Guardian had a 4/1 winner today and 2 unplaced. Profit on the day using level stakes.

Not the best day in recent weeks but we'll see how they do tomorrow...

Guardian bets on the day:

I would be telling a porkie if I said I was gripped by today's racing. I had a good look at the cards and have napped Kyzer Chief in the 4.00 at Catterick, a very honest and willing horse despite the row of 2s next to his name. If you are desperate for a bet this afternoon he's the one to be on but I am much more interested in the ante-post portfolio.

Had a review of the racing at Royal Ascot at the weekend and compiled my list of horses to follow from Flat racing's premier fixture. Ajaan (Tote Ebor), Conduit (Great Voltigeur), Fifteen Love (this Saturday at Sandown), Khateeb (Magnet Cup) and Raven's Pass (wherever) are all marked down as ones to follow.

It's worth waiting for the draw before backing Fifteen Love in the Toteswinger Handicap as a high one would be an advantage in a big field at Sandown but one horse from Royal Ascot who should be punted for theis weekend is Mad Rush in the Old Newton Cup at Haydock on Saturday. He was second to the cleverly ridden Sugar Ray at the Royal meeting but should be ideally suited by the strong pace and the long straight at the north west track. I bagged 11-2 with the Tote yesterday but I see 5's is still available. He has rock-solid form and would be another for the Tote Ebor short-list.

Personally, I'm on Gap Princess in the 3:30 at Catterick and Tawzeea in the 4:30.

Personally, I'm on Gap Princess in the 3:30 at Catterick and Tawzeea in the 4:30.

i hope it works out for you, but I can't see past the favourites in both races. (Turn me On and Hotham)

Personally, I'm on Gap Princess in the 3:30 at Catterick .

Small e/w bet on Chamopain Sands for me.

16.5 price to win

4.7 for a place

Edited by Traf

I had one of those days yesterday: well up on the day, but I couldn't pick my own nose today.

Always the way, isn't it? I'll have another crack tomorrow but it will no doubt be disappointing in comparison to this afternoon!!

Guest kempo
We don't believe you. Too late.

You not believing me doesn't effect my life in the slightest, so i couldn't give a fcuk.

Henry Cecil's record of three wins in today's feature race was put forward in the racing press this week as justification for billing him an "Eclipse powerhouse". That seems hyperbolic, as this race has inflicted 30 years of hurt on the Warren Place trainer since his most recent success with Gunner B, but Phoenix Tower can get Cecil back in the Sandown winner's enclosure after the Coral Eclipse Stakes today.

The winner of his first four starts, Phoenix Tower (3.20) has since been second in two Group Ones. Arguably unlucky when beaten less than a length in the Lockinge, he was held up for his first try at today's trip when last seen, running on at the finish of the Prince of Wales's Stakes.

Now that his stamina has been established, it is to be hoped that jockey Ted Durcan will not give him quite so much to do here, particularly as a strong pace is not guaranteed. Sandown's longer straight may help, as Phoenix Tower seemed less than comfortable when asked to accelerate off a bend for the first time this year at Ascot.

Pipedreamer, third that day, is clearly not out of place at this level but Phoenix Tower has two verdicts over him already and the impression is that Pipedreamer has been flattered by his proximity so far.

It would be no surprise if Mount Nelson were better than he was able to show when fifth in the Queen Anne, a race won by a more fancied stablemate. Still, he is a short enough price for a horse who has not won since 2006.

Sandown 2.10 Last year's winner Hoh Mike put up a career best when beaten less than two lengths in a Group One at Royal Ascot last time out.

Haydock 2.25 A number of possible improvers here but Allied Powers can keep on defying the handicapper.

Sandown 2.40 Five of Godolphin's 13 wins in Britain this year have come in the last 15 days, so Gold Sovereign is entitled to be peaking. A facile winner on his handicap debut, he still looks well treated after a 9lb rise for that victory.

Haydock 3.00 The Lancashire Oaks was staged at Newmarket when Turbo Linn won it last year. On her reappearance run, she is as good as ever this year and is to be forgiven for being outclassed in the Group One Coronation Cup at Epsom.

Haydock 3.35 Connections of Mad Rush, raised 22lb for four narrow defeats, must be tearing their hair out but the same trainer's Alkaased had been similarly frustrating before winning this in 2004. Still, everything looks right for a big run from Buccellati, who probably needs this far to be fully effective.

Sandown 3.55 The highly progressive Melodramatic found one too good at this level last time but her stable is in much better form now.

Edited by top_boy_84

This is what Timeform have to say about the Eclipse:

The Coral-Eclipse (Group 1)

Haydock provides the pick of the northern action with the Lancashire Oaks and The Old Newton Cup. However even that impressive card is overshadowed by the racing at Sandown, where the Group 1 Coral-Eclipse Stakes is the highlight. This years renewal is a relatively open-looking one and the absence of Duke of Marmalade means those filling the places in the Prince Of Wales Stakes come here with strong claims. Phoenix Tower matched the form of his Lockinge effort to finish four lengths second in the Royal Ascot Group 1, staying on well at his first try over a mile and a quarter. Henry Cecil?s four-year-old looks the pick of these on bare form but Pipedreamer, who was so progressive as a three-year-old, was just a short-head behind him last time. The 2007 Cambridgeshire winner was a close third to Phoenix Tower in a Group 3 on his reappearance and managed to put a poor effort on soft ground behind him as he improved again at Royal Ascot.

Mount Nelson admittedly lacks the usual credentials of Aiden O?Brien?s first choice in this race having been represented by the likes of Hawk Wing and George Washington in recent years, but nonetheless must be taken seriously. Having won a Group 1 as a two-year-old, Mount Nelson was well held in the Champion Stakes on his sole appearance last year, looking in need of the run. Despite that he has returned better than ever at four, shaping with promise on his first two starts before improving when a length fifth to Haradasun in the Queen Anne Stakes at Royal Ascot. He should prove at least as effective at this trip and could be capable of a bit better.

Campanologist, the only three-year-old in the race, represents Godolphins best chance especially with ground worries over Literato. The colt was allowed to dictate things in the King Edward VII Stakes at Royal Ascot and managed to hold off Conduit to land the Group 2. There has been plenty of confidence behind him since then but he certainly has to improve a fair bit to trouble the main contenders here.

Phoenix Tower?s stablemate Multidimensional has a strong chance based on his second to Macarthur in the Hardwicke Stakes. Having been ridden positively, the five-year-old was only beaten close home but it could be that the trip was behind such improvement and he has to prove himself again.

Sir Michael Stoute won this last year and is represented by Rob Roy and the veteran Maraahel. They can not be completely discounted but neither have been at their very best of late.

Based on their ratings alone:

1. Phoenix Tower

2. Pipedreamer

3. Mount Nelson

4. Multidimensional

5. Maraahel

With only 3pts between 1st (130 rated) and 5th (127 rated).

No rating available for Literato on Timeform, but it's officially rated by BHB at 120: 2pts clear of the field.

Too close to call IMO, but if pushed I'd look for a bit of value with MULTIDIMENSIONAL: currently available at 13/2!

Edited by Traf

I agree with the Guardian on Buccellati and Phoenix Tower, but I fancy MASAALEK in the 2:40 at Sandown who should reverse the form with Fifteen Love from Ascot. I don't particularly trust any Godolphin runners at the moment.

Although the ground is an unknown, I fancy an EW shot at ARTHUR'S GIRL in the Lancashire Oaks although, as Traf says, if it pisses down much more Ana Pavlova will probably be the one to beat. Do we know how much more rain is forecast?

I'll be backing ILLUSION in the 2:55 at Sandown.