Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Guardian Tipsters

top_boy_84

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest kempo
Naughty Thoughts was withdrawn at the post and Citron Presse didn't really feature.

Withdraw do you get your stake back?

I don't agree with them with the sprint as Ayr: I think that 10/1 is a big price for Look Busy who should appreciate the drop down in class and the better ground than she got in a Group 3 at York a week last Friday. She won a listed contest at Ayr over this distance of the same mark a few weeks ago and, drawn well, should go close again.

Good shout on Look Busy. My choice Inxile was 3rd.

I've gone for Leonid Glow in the 2.30, Naughty Thoughts in the 4.15 and Inxile in the 4.30.

11 pts @ 2/1 on Leonid paid 33 pts

7 pts on Naughty Thoughts @ 7/2 was returned: horse withdrawn

5 pts on Inxile @ 11/2 paid nothing.

The plan was to make a 10 point profit on the day with one winner: anything else would have been a bonus.

The withdrawal made it a 17pt profit.

Guest kempo
That makes three of us.

Not usually a particularly good sign, though!

Not after Isabella Grey but for some reason i still follow your tips. :drinks:

I'm with you on Barshiba, but I think Colloquial might just beat GMT.

Because I thought Colloquial might just beat GMT, I only backed GMT for a place at 2.8.

Most of my betting is place betting: it's the future.

A low-key day on the eve of Glorious Goodwood, summed up by the best bet on offer coming in a Class 6 handicap for lady riders at Yarmouth. There is method in the madness, though, as Ruwain (5.00) will not lack assistance from the saddle with the (comparatively) experienced Miss M Sowerby on board. Ruwain goes unpenalised for his victory in an apprentice race at Great Leighs where, having his first start for trainer Charlie McBride, he had a lot more use made of him than in his days with Willie Musson. Ruwain should not mind dropping back to a mile provided he has enough use made of him. It will pay to be positive as he is much the best trated at the weights here.

Nayodabayo (8.20) was the Guardian's nap when he had his first run for Nigel Twiston-Davies at Stratford recently. He wasn't beaten far in third spot and looks well worth another chance at Uttoxeter tonight with blinkers re-applied.

Richard Hannon and Richard Hughes have been mopping up at Windsor's Monday night fixtures this season, and they should be in the money again this evening. Their best chance rests with Orange Pip (7.40), who is up 10lb for her course and distance win but could still be ahead of the handicapper.

I'm very much looking forward to Goodwood so I won't be on anything today with the exception of Nayodabayo at Uttoxeter. Should have a very good chance after running well in his first start for Twiston-Davies a couple of weeks ago.

I've not picked any for night racing yet, but I'll oppose Ruwain in the 5.00.

Unsure between Barataria, Uhuru Peak and Sabre Light yet, but I'd probably lean towards Barataria at present.

Woah, woah, woah!

I didn't read Top Boy's post properly! I didn't realise it was only for women drivers.

I'll stick with Barataria though, in the interests of fairness etc etc!

I've not picked any for night racing yet, but I'll oppose Ruwain in the 5.00.

Unsure between Barataria, Uhuru Peak and Sabre Light yet, but I'd probably lean towards Barataria at present.

Barataria was withdrawn and this was the result:

Yarmouth 5.00

1st 5 Sabre Light 11-2

2nd 9 Uhuru Peak 5-1

:yahoo: :drinks: :yahoo: :drinks: :yahoo:

Edited by Traf

Off The Record, all-the-way winner of a 25-runner sprint handicap at Newmarket in May, can stage a repeat performance in today's Stewards' Cup at Goodwood. James Given, the colt's trainer, has his horses in good form and it is significant that Richard Hughes is back on board Off The Record for the first time since they recorded their Newmarket win.

Agonising over the effect of the draw in this cavalry charge can be a pointless exercise but seven of the last 10 winners have been drawn in stalls 19 to 29, and, from 28, Off The Record (3.50) could be hard to peg back. He is well-enough handicapped, just 3lb higher than at Newmarket, where he beat a number of today's rivals, including King's Apostle and Knot In Wood.

Off The Record was out of his depth in the July Cup last time out and, on that form, has ground to make up on Prime Defender, a creditable seventh. But Given's colt had been a lot closer to Prime Defender at Sandown previously.

Officially 9lb "well in" after that fine effort in Group One company last time, Prime Defender should make a bold bid from stall 19.

Borderlescott, the winner in 2006 and a short-head second a year ago, gets no slack from the handicapper, but this superbly consistent six-year-old seems sure to be in the thick of the action.

Goodwood 2.05 Deep Winter trotted up at Carlisle but, while this longer trip should not trouble her, the rise in class might. Richard Fahey's filly may be worth taking on with Stow, who ran a good third from an unfavourable draw at Sandown.

Newmarket 2.25 One of only two to race on the far side in the Super Sprint at Newbury, Souter's Sister was always fighting a losing battle. Her earlier form puts her in with a good chance here.

Goodwood 2.40 Stubbs Art should gain a deserved win but it was difficult not to be impressed with Perfect Stride at Ascot and Sir Michael Stoute's colt is clearly better now than when only 12th in the 2,000 Guineas, where Stubbs Art was third.

Newmarket 2.55 Harald Bluetooth won with a bit to spare at Newbury and can defy a 5lb rise.

Newmarket 3.30 Bandama ran well behind Ask The Butler here last week but does not win as often as he should. He finished two places behind runner-up Redesignation at Ascot previously and Richard Hannon's colt can confirm that form.

Horse sense

The Barry Hills team have not lost faith in Golden Rosie (5.00) and the filly is well worth another chance in today's nursery handicap at Goodwood. She needed her latest run and will be much sharper this time.

Prime Defender (3.50) was always thought likely to make a better four-year-old and is spot on for the Stewards' Cup. Dandy Nicholls mounts his usual strong challenge for the big sprint and we have good reports of Machinist.

The best is yet to come from Wikaala (2.05), while Atlantic Sport (2.40) is fancied to make amends for a controversial defeat at Newbury. Mick Channon's colt will appreciate the step up to a mile.

Little has gone right for the Peter Chapple-Hyam stable of late, but our Newmarket correspondent warns us not to underestimate Cape Amber (3.15) in the Nassau Stakes. This filly is on good terms with herself at present.

At Doncaster, Noverre To Go (2.50) is expected to make a bold first-time bid, while Checklow (4.00) has got in the 10-furlongs handicap on a lenient mark.

Seen and heard

Jamie Piggott has a hard act to follow but the 15-year-old son of riding legend Lester is taking his first tentative steps towards becoming a jockey. Based with Irish trainer Tommy Stack, Jamie had two rides at the Broadford pony races in Limerick last week. Pony racing is where many top Irish riders cut their teeth and Jamie showed promise by finishing third and fourth on his two mounts.

Dundalk, Ireland's first all-weather course, has been a hit with Ireland's Flat trainers and we hear some jumps colleagues would like to see hurdle racing brought in at the Polytrack venue. However Pat Malone, clerk of the course at Dundalk, informs us he has no plans at present to go down the jumping route.

A big gamble was foiled on Wednesday when Rose Street was beaten at Kempton, a result which was frustrating for friends of the filly's owner Raymond Anderson Green. Anderson Green's daughter married top jumps jockey Timmy Murphy last weekend and he told everyone at the reception to get on.

Ron Cox's tip of the day

Lush Lashes 3.15 Goodwood

Aidan O'Brien goes for another Group One victory with Halfway To Heaven, but this time Jim Bolger can have the final say. Lush Lashes, impressive in the Coronation Stakes at Royal Ascot, looks a notch or two above O'Brien's Irish 1,000 Guineas winner. Passage Of Time made a welcome return to form at Newbury but was favoured by race conditions there and will find this tougher.

Plenty to digest here but I'm in agreement with him on Lush Lashes and Redesignation.