Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Stelios Likely To Start Tomorrow.

MickyD

Are we not in danger of w?nking off another Jensen?

Decent service yes. Not great and certainly a bit part player for most of his assumedly very rewarding last 3 year contract.

Tal Ben Haim got booed the other day. Great player for us. Cost virtually nowt.

And left the club "in the right way" whatever that means.

The ticking boxes on applauding ex-players - the box marked "got money for him" didnt get ticked.

But we got no money for Stelios? I'm confused.

A bit of charisma, the odd goal and declining career goes a long way.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Moderators

Decent service yes. Not great and certainly a bit part player for most of his assumedly very rewarding last 3 year contract.

The ticking boxes on applauding ex-players - the box marked "got money for him" didnt get ticked.

no

I think Stelios was a big part of our transition from relegation scrappers to "top ten regulars"

can't knock what he did for us

"However, after ten years of professional football in Greece he was snapped up by Bolton Wanderers. The manager at the time Sam Allardyce described Stelios as "...an attacking midfielder who knows how to score goals. His main attribute remains his ability to make late runs into the penalty area and his flair to shoot accurately from range[2]." It was at this point that the popular name 'Stelios' came about as the player unconventionally chose for his first name to be printed on his shirt instead of his very long (and difficult for the English journalists) surname. He made his Bolton d?but against Manchester United and helped Bolton reach the 2004 Carling Cup final and their highest ever Premier League finish in his first season. His fine form continued in to the next two seasons with one of the highlights being the winning goal he scored against Arsenal in an FA Cup Fourth round match played at the Reebok Stadium on January 28, 2006. Stelios' success for the club was demonstrated by the fact that both Manchester City and Liverpool openly expressed interest in signing him before he signed a new contract with Bolton in August 2005[3]. The 2005/2006 season was Stelios' most successful as he was top scorer for Bolton with 12 goals, an impressive tally for a midfielder. His form dipped slightly in the 2006/2007 season where he missed several games through injury and failed to score any goals although he was still a regular player for the club with 23 games. He left the club at the end of the 2007-2008 Season."

he scored alot more than the odd goal though didn't he

Didn't hear people booing Ben Haim but they shouldn't anyway, went to a bigger club, didn't slag us off, good player - good luck to him. Thing is though he was a bit of a miserable git and I think that might have something to do with him not being as popular as Stelios. Thought the little Greek was class, was p!ssed off with Megson not playing him last year and would have loved for him to stay on another season.

In what ever state il be in tomorrow i have one hope and that is for Bolton Wanderers to get a win and support them in voice i will!

Of course other matters will creep in as the game goes on and frustrations no doubt could be voiced!

Im not a fan of Megson but If he stays in a job that should suggest that we are winning and climbing up the table!

As for Hull, Brown and Stellios i respect for all what they have achieved but fcuk me, they are playing Bolton not for Bolton and for 90minutes i couldnt care less about how wonderful our ex players have been so long as our currebt players et al perform!

no

I think Stelios was a big part of our transition from relegation scrappers to "top ten regulars"

can't knock what he did for us

"However, after ten years of professional football in Greece he was snapped up by Bolton Wanderers. The manager at the time Sam Allardyce described Stelios as "...an attacking midfielder who knows how to score goals. His main attribute remains his ability to make late runs into the penalty area and his flair to shoot accurately from range[2]." It was at this point that the popular name 'Stelios' came about as the player unconventionally chose for his first name to be printed on his shirt instead of his very long (and difficult for the English journalists) surname. He made his Bolton d?but against Manchester United and helped Bolton reach the 2004 Carling Cup final and their highest ever Premier League finish in his first season. His fine form continued in to the next two seasons with one of the highlights being the winning goal he scored against Arsenal in an FA Cup Fourth round match played at the Reebok Stadium on January 28, 2006. Stelios' success for the club was demonstrated by the fact that both Manchester City and Liverpool openly expressed interest in signing him before he signed a new contract with Bolton in August 2005[3]. The 2005/2006 season was Stelios' most successful as he was top scorer for Bolton with 12 goals, an impressive tally for a midfielder. His form dipped slightly in the 2006/2007 season where he missed several games through injury and failed to score any goals although he was still a regular player for the club with 23 games. He left the club at the end of the 2007-2008 Season."

Mmm fair dos. He was a big part in our revival but the last 2 years were forgettable mind, aside from kissing Howard Webb.

I'll upgrade his service to "good" :roll:

Guess the other point I made was why TBH was booed (it was audible to me but I'm with some idiots in the East Lower).

Cant understand the logic - he was a massive reason for our transition probably more than Stelios.

Mmm fair dos. He was a big part in our revival but the last 2 years were forgettable mind, aside from kissing Howard Webb.

I'll upgrade his service to "good" :roll:

Guess the other point I made was why TBH was booed (it was audible to me but I'm with some idiots in the East Lower).

Cant understand the logic - he was a massive reason for our transition probably more than Stelios.

I think there was a perception that his attitude could have been better at times (certainly when the toys came out a bit when he was asked to play left back at Wigan), but he could hardly be faulted for leaving Bolton to have a crack at Chelsea.

Stelios is ace.

Could have gone to Liverpool, you know. :blink:

• Moderators
Brownie knows by playing Stelios, it will turn the fans even more against Megson rather than supporting the team. He is playing people like Mart like a fiddle.

does he balls

i'm pretty sure he doesn't read this board before coming up with his gameplan and i very much doubt a manager would base his team selection and risk his good form based on maybe winding up a few of the opposite fans

sorry, but that's complete guff

don't be pretending you were fishing either

• Moderators

no, me neither

some people are offended that a player would have a better option than us

they probably don't get out much (of the house or indeed bolton)

tbh wanted to leave, no problem with that. (i did nt boo him or applaud him, laughed at his silly girls hair though)

stelios wanted to stay, the club decided we did nt want to keep.

if i am in the ground before kick off i will applaud him, same first time he comes over near bolton fans and at the end of the game.

other than that he is a hull player who will do his best to score against us so he is just another player.

Give that Meggers likes to make subs on about 88 minutes, and Stelios is the best goal scoring late sub we've ever had, it's a bit odd he let him go.

Exactly!

I can't understand why we let him go.

He could have done a job this season and scored some important goals coming off the bench t'other season.

Another bad mistake to let him go.

He won't get a bad reception from me.

Browny will probably select Stelios because players invariably have a good game when they next play against their former club. In the old days they used to be captain for the day when they first played against their former club.

I would only applaud stelios for what he did for us plus the bloke he is as a person.met him couple of times and he was superb with the kids, pictures autographs etc. As a player i think his best days were behind him and could understand the club letting him go (wages) but i would have liked him to warm our bench for 12 more months and pop up with the odd vital goal, it may have proved to be money very well spent - we will never know.

THAT SAID - =D> come on you super whites

It would be nice if Stelios plays but if so I hope he's absolute rubbish... a win tomorrow would be massive in my world!

Not convinced it's that important....?

...I have just been glancing at the fixtures and I believe if results went for us tomorrow [ AND even after Sunday ] we could possibly be NINTH !

Come on you Whites!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.