• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Sluffy

Sluffy

Sub's Bench

• Members
  • 1,495 posts

Posted 07 December 2008 - 09:37 PM

No the tardis as not landed at the Reebok yet - the good doctor's name who is now one of our backroom staff is actually Dr Jonathan Tobin and he joined us in the summer.

I recently found this article on him -

Medic has no regrets over PNE switch

Football-mad medic Dr Jonathan Tobin insists he has no regrets about quitting Preston North End and his day job as a GP to join Premier League Bolton Wanderers.
Dr Tobin was recruited in the summer by Trotters boss Gary Megson to look after the the Reebok Stadium players.

And he admitted this week: "It was an opportunity I just couldn't turn down."

Dr Tobin worked part-time as PNE club doctor after Dr Nick McCraith retired.

He was also in general practice at St Mary's Health Centre in Penwortham.

But when Wanderers called he jumped at the chance to work full-time in the best league in the world. And for the self-confessed footy nut it had to be the ideal job.

"I don't think it is something any doctor could just walk into," he said. "I was part-time at Preston, giving me a chance to get my teeth into the role, work closer with the players.

"I worked with some great physios there Steve Kemp and Matt Ratcliffe and I think you need that sort of apprenticeship in pro football.

"The first part of my role is pretty much as a GP for the players. Often I'll get phone calls about their wives and children and deal with coughs, colds and such illnesses.

"The second is taking an active role in players' overall medical care things like immunisations, vaccinations, blood tests and screenings.

"Third, you provide cover on match-day should there be serious incidents like a back trauma, head or neck injury."

Dr Tobin revealed the role of a football doctor was something he 'fell into'.

"I went out for a meal and found myself sat next to the club doctor. We got chatting and he asked if I would like to work as his assistant.

"He was set to retire and said when he did he'd just stop coming to Deepdale and no one would notice, and that's pretty much how it happened."

http://www.lep.co.uk...over.4766707.jp

Become a site supporter

#2 farnworth white

farnworth white

Sub's Bench

• Members
  • 1,125 posts

Posted 08 December 2008 - 09:00 PM

Seems like that was taken from article in BEN last Tuesday.

http://www.thebolton..._for_busy_time/