Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Bolton On Big Match Revisited

snowball

Sorry if it has already been noted, couldn't see it anywhere! Bolton v Ipswich, (yes the one with that goal) is on ITV4 this Thursday. 30 years ago to the week,April 1979. Be great to see Burnden heaving as well.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Site Supporter

I was also there; Burnden Paddock boy at the time having started in t' Lever End, then Embankment for the sunnier weather, then graduated to Burnden Terrace when Lever End became all-seated, finally found myself in Manny Rd North.

Once did a Chealse home game where I stood in at least three out of the four in the same 90 minutes!

• Site Supporter

Deserves a link

My Uncle Alan was there (I was only 2 so was probably busy shitting myself) and he used to describe this goal with a sort of dewy-eyed, far off gaze.

I wasn't there unfortunately. My miserable dad wouldn't take me (I was 10). Listened to it on the radio at my grandma's house and it was obvious that the goal was something special the way they went on about it.

I have really enjoyed the Big Match Revisited, even allowing for its obvious London bias. The 'Granada' matches brought back some great memories and I think it's a great idea showing the matches from the same week thirty years ago, just adds to the nostalgia. Last week it was Ralph Coates and his combover (playing for Leyton Orient). A different world.

Franky Worthy

Peter Thompson

The ball boy behind the goals wasn't Jules Darby

The Ref clapped the goal

I was there

I now feel old

That Scottish bloke scored twice

Int diary.

Did Peter Thompson play?

We lost, but it didn't matter.

• Moderators

from memory

ipswich hada defence including butcher and mick mills

id guess they might have been supported by burley and osman

anyway,, back in the day, i thought he scuffed the final shot

now, i'm not so sure

WEEKLY HIGHLIGHTS EPISODE 17

Thursday, 23 April 2009, 11:20AM on ITV4

Today?s programme features a game between Bolton and Ipswich in April 1979. Frank Worthington scores one of his classic goals for Bolton while Sam Allardyce also scores. Alan Brazil scores two goals for Ipswich.

The series of Big Match Revisited features games from the 1978/79 season. Each week the game broadcast is from the same week 30 years previously.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.