Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Who Said This?

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He's as succesful as Bruce, Brown and Pulis

Those three improved their clubs to achieve promotion or pushing for Europe with limited resources. And just what in anyway can Megson be described as successful? converting a top 10 side into relegation scrappers.

Now your're the brother of the ex Iraqi Information Minister.

Those three improved their clubs to achieve promotion or pushing for Europe with limited resources. And just what in anyway can Megson be described as successful? converting a top 10 side into relegation scrappers.

Where were we when Megson arrived?

if anything it was Lee who took the top 10 side to relegation scrapper well him and FSA for ripping the guts out of the backroom staff

Hes kept us up for 2 years, that goes down as a success to me

He literally takes us out of a fantastic EUROPEAN cup run (in our 50th year of us last winning a major trophy).

He took a club that end of previous season was 8th, in UEFA.

Yes he joined a club in turmoil, ala Sammy lee, but with the players there we should have easily stayed up and this season with strengthening the squad in a couple of areas 9instead of a mass clearout) we could have easily been vying for a Europa League spot!

Yes his job, last season was to stay up and that he just about did with the skin of his teeth - his job this season was ti improve on that position - by the way its going are we going to be doing that? We currentlt sit on the same number of points as we finished last season - is that an improvement compared to Big Sam's second season in charge (as for reference as a previous post did use him as an argument tool)?

If anything Megson is a great Championship manager with the qualities of getting teams into the PL BUT he is not cut out for the PL, it is just a bitt too much of a strech for him?

if anything it was Lee who took the top 10 side to relegation scrapper well him and FSA for ripping the guts out of the backroom staff

Sam did not rip the guts out of the backroom staff.

He offered them jobs- some took the offer some stayed and some went onto other clubs. Its the same routiune when a amanger leaves.

The same will happen again when Megson leaves (the same happened when Lee left) and so on - its the nature of the business they are in. Also do not forget that most of Sams backroom staff had followed him previously from other managerial roles.

If you were offered a decent job with decent pay by a previous manager you enjoyed working for would you just laugh at them or would you consider it? Its the real world. There is no rule to say that when a manager leaves he has to leave the backroom staff behind.

So why are most people so hard on Big Sam for doing what any other manager would do?

He offered them jobs- some took the offer some stayed and some went onto other clubs. Its the same routiune when a amanger leaves.

The same will happen again when Megson leaves (the same happened when Lee left) and so on - its the nature of the business they are in. Also do not forget that most of Sams backroom staff had followed him previously from other managerial roles.

If you were offered a decent job with decent pay by a previous manager you enjoyed working for would you just laugh at them or would you consider it? Its the real world. There is no rule to say that when a manager leaves he has to leave the backroom staff behind.

So why are most people so hard on Big Sam for doing what any other manager would do?

Because he said he would leave well alone and therefore went back on his word to Gartside

Because he said he would leave well alone and therefore went back on his word to Gartside

Well we all know that Gartside and Allardyce were not the best of friends - in fact they were not even talking that much to each other when he left! (that is well known)

A Gentlemans agreement is not worth anything, tbh, and as such should never be taken as granted. (as some people would ask on here - is there any proof of a Gentlemans Agreement or any other agreement or its it just urban myth as one needs to find an excuse)

Its like if I owe you money and I create a Gentlemans agreement promising to pay you back but I never do.

you're missing the point, the fact that he took the backrrom staff, rightly or wrongly is not megsons fault. the fact that sammy lee fcuked up was not megsons fault

Edited by ap09

• Members
Are you on drugs? If he's a successful manager you should pack up watching football and take a one way flight to join Megsons brother in Oz.

:blink: You're new here so I'll cut you some slack. If you weren't so new, you'd know that I was a Megson detractor when we appointed him but have been won over by the mans dogged persistence in the face of some of the most brain dead criticism I have ever seen (Mugson; Smegson; that stupid c?nt with the cardboard sign and others with bedsheets etc); the clear improvement in the playing staff due to some astute signings and the general dignity (with a couple of exceptions but everyone has to vent sometimes) with which he has conducted himself.

You give the impression, like some others such as So Called Wanderer, that no matter what he did or how we improved, your opinion wouldn't change.

I can only put it down to ginger hair. Coincidentally, Gary Megson has it too.

:blink: You're new here so I'll cut you some slack. If you weren't so new, you'd know that I was a Megson detractor when we appointed him but have been won over by the mans dogged persistence in the face of some of the most brain dead criticism I have ever seen (Mugson; Smegson; that stupid c?nt with the cardboard sign and others with bedsheets etc); the clear improvement in the playing staff due to some astute signings and the general dignity (with a couple of exceptions but everyone has to vent sometimes) with which he has conducted himself.

You give the impression, like some others such as So Called Wanderer, that no matter what he did or how we improved, your opinion wouldn't change.

I can only put it down to ginger hair. Coincidentally, Gary Megson has it too.

Bolty58 you Should be on stage pal....... sweeping it!!!! :rofl:

This is not a wind up!! All i am saying that as a fan of the club we deserve a better calibre of Manager!!I am sorry if Megson is related to you but the fact of the matter is that sometimes the Truth Hurts.

All in my own opinion, but lets leave it has i am not wanting to change anybodys view but if you feel that spending the sort of money that he has had at his disposal plus the fact that we still could be in trouble with 5 games to go!! please then explain how that in your eyes is an improvement???

I am new to the forum and just want a good debate. I am here for the long term... No wind ups!! Just want the best for our club, support regardless of personal feelings towards current management but still have a right to view my discontent with the current standings and football on offer!!

If we win Saturday Fantastic!!! Come on you whites!!

• Members
Bolty58 you Should be on stage pal....... sweeping it!!!! :rofl:

1) This is not a wind up!! All I am saying that as a fan of the club we deserve a better calibre of Manager!!I am sorry if Megson is related to you but the fact of the matter is that sometimes the Truth Hurts.

2) All in my own opinion, but lets leave it has i am not wanting to change anybodys view but if you feel that spending the sort of money that he has had at his disposal plus the fact that we still could be in trouble with 5 games to go!! please then explain how that in your eyes is an improvement???

3) I am new to the forum and just want a good debate. I am here for the long term... No wind ups!! Just want the best for our club, support regardless of personal feelings towards current management but still have a right to view my discontent with the current standings and football on offer!!

4) If we win Saturday Fantastic!!! Come on you whites!!

Dear So Called, (you'll be trying to tell me that it means summat like South California or similar next ;) )

1) Please take no notice of the inane ramblings of the likes of Deanoh My God. I assure you that I have been a Megson detractor in the past if you care to scroll back through my mind numbingly boring posts. Phrases like 'unambitious and unimaginative appointment', 'not a long term proposition for BWFC' and 'if you dance on a trapdoor long enough you'll fall through it' have been used by myself. Hardly the type of language one would expect from a relative. I have been, however, able to revisit and revise my views on the bloke as things have progressed (and I believe that they have progressed).

2) I disagree with this. I do not believe we are in trouble. I believe we are already safe but will win a good few more points yet including a likelihood of something from Saturday. Low to mid 40's point finish.

3) Agreed (but I think you meant to type 'voice' or 'express'?). If it is done in an intelligent and thoughtful way then fair enough. Many of us one here just don't get the hysterical anti Megson types who seem to frequent Rivals and pop their heads up on here now and again to spew out their bile. The type with bedsheets; cardboard signs; eyes too close together and brains the size of half a walnut.

4) 100% with you on this point :good:

Edited by bolty58

you're missing the point, the fact that he took the backrrom staff, rightly or wrongly is not megsons fault. the fact that sammy lee fcuked up was not megsons fault

Oi newbie your not supposed to make sense!

how are we supposed to bully you if you're not a babbling moron! :D

Welcome to the mad house BTW.

HBAYMT

Guest Holly_Goodhead

Is breaking the club transfer record on a striker with no pace and 5 goals after 35games also Lee's fault?

Is spending ?5 million on a midfield player who isn't good enough to be an automatic choice even in our poor midfield Lee's fault?

Is spending ?7 million on the central defence yet still playing a liability like Andy O'Brien as a first choice down to Lee?

Or maybe after 18 months in the job and ?30 million spent Megson is responsible for his poor signings and hence poor results.?

fcuk me.Some would have you believe Megson's lost 20 of his 35 matches this season because Allardyce took the dietician almost 2 years ago ::lol::

and bus w@nkers

how can folk seriously claim Megson is responsible for the demise that started under BSA?

can someone remind of BSA record from the January to him leaving?

P 15, W 15, D0, L0, F 54 A 0

and bus w@nkers

how can folk seriously claim Megson is responsible for the demise that started under BSA?

can someone remind of BSA record from the January to him leaving?

I thought we couldn't judge people on segments of the season?

FWIW, i'm quite indifferent on whether Megson stays or goes. I do think he has a negative air about him at times and often says the wrong thing. His signing have been hit & miss to be frank. But we can keep the good and discard the bad! But I think it would be ludicrous to deny him a third season at the helm of Bolton Wanderers. Disorganisation breeds chaos - something that I think we can all do without for a while yet. The club will go to pan if things go tit's up again, a l? 2007. We need stability through next season and to give the chance for our man in charge to implement his plan.

I'm quite excited to see were Megson can take us next season. I genuinely believe we're one or two signing away from an very capable first team. Who knows, we could all be on tour in 2010 if Gary's in charge. All I know for definate is that we won't be anywhere near that calibre if we switch management now. We've a steadied ship, and in todays footballing climate, i'm thankful for that. Onwards & Upwards!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.