Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Well Done Gary

Guest as

I can't believe some people are slating Megson's signings already and predicting what will happen next season. Give the bloke a chance because this season, the team will be his own and fair enough, if it is as bad as some of the performances from last season, then the criticism is where it is due. With 2 or 3 additions, in attacking positions we could start to be looking alot more of a solid unit.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm.

So far we have strengthened the squad very well, but the signings have not really moved the first team that far forward.

We are still lacking pace, creativity and goals.

All 4 signings are OK but I was hoping for at least one signing that was a bit more exciting.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm.

So far we have strengthened the squad very well, but the signings have not really moved the first team that far forward.

We are still lacking pace, creativity and goals.

All 4 signings are OK but I was hoping for at least one signing that was a bit more exciting.

nail on the head, and the football that was served up on saturday wasn't any different than last season, albeit it was only a friendly

2 players, in Knight and David have improved the first eleven imo and i agree, Robinson and Rickets are good cover players. All solid teams need a stable defence and i think that is what Megson is trying to achieve which he has done. Now he needs some pace and flair further up the field

2 players, in Knight and David have improved the first eleven imo and i agree, Robinson and Rickets are good cover players. All solid teams need a stable defence and i think that is what Megson is trying to achieve which he has done. Now he needs some pace and flair further up the field

Is that not what the Korean is for

Have I missed something or does the transfer window not shut till 31st August.

The gaffer has pinpointed our back 5 for improvement with the silly goals we conceded last season and he has done that with the 3 defensive signings.We now have at last competition for places.

He has another month to improve the midfield and up front.

I would rather he sort the back line out first and have a solid base to work with. <_<

I am confident he will add to the signings of Davis and the korean.

Think it is time to cut gary some slack and let him get on with the job he is paid to do.

In meggo I trust. :yahoo:

• 3 weeks later...
Guess I most be the only one dissapointed with the window up to now then.

Last season it became startingly obvious that we needed some creativity in midfield and a good centre back. We also needed to improve our goal scoring - either by getting in some others up front - or by changing our style - possibly playing Elmander as a second striker playing off a target man such as Davies.

Ok, we have limited funds so I didn't expect miracles but so far we have got Knight, who hasn't done much since his Fulham days. O'Neil bought him - and the fact he sold him too suggests to me that he thinks he wasn't a success under him. I hope I'm proved wrong about Knight.

Who else have we got - cover for both our full backs who remember were both ever presents last season - hardly a priority area for strenthening really.

The Korean youngster - who I will be amazed if he is able to contribute anything positive to the team this side of Christmas (remember how long the likes of Jay Jay, Campo and Hierro to get upto Premiership speed), and Davis who is a good workhorse but hardly the creative midfielder we are crying out for.

Yes, I know there probably are more signings to go (and loanees to get) but at this stage we have hardly improved the team from how we finished last season - and that was relegation form football!

Have we improved our attacking capability yet - no.

Have we got creativity in midfield yet - not unless the Korean is off to a flier - which I doubt is going to happen

Have we tightened up the defence - well we've got Knight who the Villa fans aren't to fussed about loosing (and they are critically short of Centre backs!) and two generally like for like full backs that are more or less on a par with those we had last season.

Yes I know we have built the squad in terms of solid players but forgive me, why exactly is everyone suddenly so happy about that, its not as though we've really addressed our basic problems with our starting eleven, which at the end of the day (thirteenth place or not) only managed to get 41 points last season.

I seemed to upset more than a few when I originally posted this.

Everybody still happy with the signings to date then?

• Members

Yes, FFS. It's the first game of the f?cking season. Give it time.

You get the medal for the first 'I told you so' of the season. There'll be plenty more to follow.

Got to laugh at the sheer brass neck of that post Sluffy

However I agree with it

I think the transfer business Megson has actually done has been good ... but unless the Korean proves a good un he has totally failed to address the main problem, lack of goals and creativity.

He could even attempt to address it tactically - like you say, play Davies up front. But he plays McCann instead and hopes for the best.

Sluffy wins the first Smug of the Week award for this season, well done.

I bet your parents are so proud.

I'm sure they would be if they were still alive.

I'm not being snug - I take no pleasure in seeing my club suffer - I merely stated my opinion at the time based on my who had been bought and compared it against which areas of the team needed to be strengthened - hardly rocket science!

As I said at the time -

The thing is on here - and every other forum - there seems to be a split of posters between either a) Bolton /Megson are shite, or b ) Bolton /Megson are doing well. And that if you are not saying one thing you must automatically be saying the other.

There does not seem to be tolerance of any thinking along the lines that something?s Bolton /Megson are doing are bad, and some are good.

I merely expressed my opinion that the signings made so far in this transfer window amounted to basically adding numbers to the squad and not necessarily addressing the first team's weaknesses from last season and so I could not share in the euphoria that many others have.

I am neither a 'rose tinted' or a 'doom monger', just simply stating how I see each individual situation on its merits.

Welcome back by the way.

I'm not being snug - I take no pleasure in seeing my club suffer - I merely stated my opinion at the time based on my who had been bought and compared it against which areas of the team needed to be strengthened - hardly rocket science!

As I said at the time -

Welcome back by the way.

Our weakness last season was not that we didn't score enough but that we let too many in. See the example of Fulham - scored less than us but let 19 less in.

Our weakness last season was not that we didn't score enough but that we let too many in. See the example of Fulham - scored less than us but let 19 less in.

Our weakness last year was that we failed to score in 18 of the 38 matches.

Compare our goals for and against with West Ham for instance - we scored more or less the same and let in only 8 more goals over a 38 games season - and they got 10 more points than us and just missed out on Europe.

Stoke scored fewer goals and let more in - but they finished 4 points higher than us - because they created chances in all the games they played in!

We simply cannot go half a seasons games without scoring a single goal and not expect to have a bad season!

As I said at the time -

Welcome back by the way.

if we won 2-0

would you have said you got it compltley wrong?

For what it's worth I completely agree with Sluffy regarding the new players brought into the club. ( I think to try to prove you were right after one game is not really fair ;) but I think you will be proven right over the coming weeks. )

Whatsmore I know that these are honest opinions and you would surely change them if we suddenly brought in 3 or 4 players who you think we really do need at the club.

sluffy, you usually post some good stuff. dont turn into a complete twat!

Given the 'quality' of this post Jay I doubt you'll ever receive any such a complement... but since there are now have rules about treating people how you expect to be treated... you may possibly be more likely to receive the insult :)

I'm thinking because in this case I agree with Sluffy's well thought out opinions he is like me and would prefer not to hurt peoples feelings!

If calling someone a wanker isn't offensive in any way then your opinion on that is wrong. And we already have enough moaners, we don't really need another, no one gives a shit about your weekend.

Edit: and I'm not sure why you think you opinion is worth it's own thread, if you want to discuss the actual game there's already a thread for that. Closing.

Oh, come on, Carlos. There's been a load of worse abuse thrown around on here recently - a lot of it from the 'moan about the moaners' brigade.

:blink:

• Site Supporter
Given the 'quality' of this post Jay I doubt you'll ever receive any such a complement... but since there are now have rules about treating people how you expect to be treated... you may possibly be more likely to receive the insult :)

I'm thinking because in this case I agree with Sluffy's well thought out opinions he is like me and would prefer not to hurt peoples feelings!

sorry, im confused now..

sluffy posted an opinion, which WAS well articulated, like many of his threads. but then he just posted 'i told you so' which is ALWAYS out of order imo.

do you not agree?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.