Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Sacked In The Morning?

globaldiver

You mean the Spanish Football Federation's sporting director? I doubt he'd come, dont you?

I'm not saying I'd got for Hierro, but I think he would - Manager of a Premier League club gives much more exposure then the role he has at the moment and a stepping stone to managing a big club.

• Replies 483
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just have a horrible feeling that If Megson was to go now, that Gareth Southgate would be on Gartsides wanted list. Young English manger and currently out of work and therefore we wouldn't have to pay compensation.

I'm sure the majority of fans wouldn't want him but that didn't stop Megson being appointed. Question is will Gartside have learnt about jumping in with both feet on his last 2 appointments...Lee and Megson?

but I think he would - Manager of a Premier League club gives much more exposure then the role he has at the moment and a stepping stone to managing a big club.

I dodubt he would consider it (not that we would offer), he has a great job as sporting director of arguably the best national team in the world at the minute. If and when he wants to, he will no doubt be given the chance to get involved with Real Madrid on the management side I would expect.

I dodubt he would consider it (not that we would offer), he has a great job as sporting director of arguably the best national team in the world at the minute. If and when he wants to, he will no doubt be given the chance to get involved with Real Madrid on the management side I would expect.

His current role is certainly a "job for the boys" and it would be nice to think that he would get a chance at Madrid as his influence there as a player cannot be underestimated - it would be perhaps akin to the way Liverpool used to do it with the famous boot room.

However, in this day and age (esp with the money involved at R Madrid) clubs tend to go for the latest "big name" with proven Managerial experience and I fear he may never get the chance

Edited by jules_darby

I think that is a very good point.No ones knows if we would have stayed up under Little Sammy given time.

Trying to cast my mind to the reason why Little Sam went was it the 5 points from 10 games or was it also the fact that he lost the dressing room as well.

Anyone enlighten me ?

Nolan and Speed were instrumental in Lee's departure.

The morale of the whole club is on the floor at the moment. It is unfair to lay the blame purely at the door of GM but he has without question become the public face of the discontent. GM has become symbolic of a lack of hope and ambition which although is perhaps the reality of supporting Bolton it is not what I want expressed from those in charge.

Hiero would be a gamble but he would galvanise the support and the dressing room. I would love to see Gudni brought back into the fold. Also just to throw it out there how about Shearer and Speed who are rumoured to be interested in taking charge at Sheffield United.

5 from 10, 11 from 12.

Both as bad as each other IMO. It wasnt impossible for Lil Sam to have got 11 from 12.

Highly unlikely, but this run is no different.

How can Sammy's 0.5 point per game be worse than 0.9 per game?

Should Megson be sacked? Not yet IMO, the next 3 games are crucial, if he doesn't get 4 points minimum he'll have to go IMO.

If he is sacked then who does come in? In a relegation battle you need experience, if we look at the last 9 relegated teams:

'Boro - inexperienced manager

Newcastle - Multiple managers but mainly in experienced after Keegan

WBA - Mowbray's first ever PL season and Celtic fans aren't happy

Birmingham - McLeish first ever PL job although he got them back up so fair play

Reading - Kind of ruins my point about inexperience

Derby - Complete rubbish, no manager could have helped

Sheff Utd- experienced manager but not in PL

Chalrton- Multiple managers

Watforsd- Aidy B was inexperienced

There is a pattern there minus Reading. Experienced manager out of work? Curbishley (migth not want to leave London)?

Then the others do not strike me with any confidence (O'Leary, Keegan etc)

Maybe a young manager with an experienced Asst Mngr who has been a manager previously but we might not have the funds for that. Under no circumstances should we appoint an ex-Bolton favourite just because he played for us and "knows the fans", does that remind you of anyone? Spurs with Hoddle? Newcastle with Keegan and Shearer?.

If Megson goes we need experience, I'd take Alan Irvine from Preston because of his experience with Everton but no one else from the lower leagues gives me any confidence. There are slim pickings out there IMO.

Some good names being touted around , my first choice would be a pairing of hierro and speed as iv said in previous threads but just cant see it happening , if not them i would take a gamble on either Grayson or Irvine with speedo as he knows alot of the players at the club already .

Think GM got this weekend !

How can Sammy's 0.5 point per game be worse than 0.9 per game?

Wasn't the point I was trying to make. Sammy Lee had 10 games, 'IF' he had had 12...it 'COULD' have been the same. However, the standard of football is not much different, no matter how much or how many times Megson has to rely on a better points start.

speeds shadow should never again be cast across the reeboks threshold

Are you basing that simply on rumours though?

Similar thing happened at Everton - they got rid of him during the Kendall era, when I think he was captain - he became a hated figure amongst alot of Everton fans for apparently being "disruptive"

Turns out that (shock) Kendall was simply pissed all the time and therefore ineffective.

Maybe, just maybe whatever you believe Speed was up to, he had the right intentions??

• Moderators

maybe

whatever sammy lee is, i don't think anybody has ever accused him of being unprofessional

out of his depth, maybe

it doesn't help when the, senior pro/coach is undermining your every move

player power removed lee and maybe one or two who are still there think they can do it again?

maybe

whatever sammy lee is, i don't think anybody has ever accused him of being unprofessional

out of his depth, maybe

it doesn't help when the, senior pro/coach is undermining your every move

player power removed lee and maybe one or two who are still there think they can do it again?

I'm sure it doesn't help

But playerpower alone didn't remove Lee

As the current incumbent of the role is so fond of telling us...we were bottom of the league with 5 points

His current role is certainly a "job for the boys" and it would be nice to think that he would get a chance at Madrid as his influence there as a player cannot be underestimated - it would be perhaps akin to the way Liverpool used to do it with the famous boot room.

However, in this day and age (esp with the money involved at R Madrid) clubs tend to go for the latest "big name" with proven Managerial experience and I fear he may never get the chance

I take your point, but before Barcelona appointed Pep Guardiola (with no previous managerial experience) they had Frank Rijkaard for 5 years, who previously had only 1 failed season in club management.

Barca and Real are very different clubs, but I don't think it's beyond the realms of possibility that Real would appoint someone like Hierro to appease supporters if they had a couple of dodgy years, especially if it was under a more experienced director of football.

I take your point, but before Barcelona appointed Pep Guardiola (with no previous managerial experience) they had Frank Rijkaard for 5 years, who previously had only 1 failed season in club management.

Barca and Real are very different clubs, but I don't think it's beyond the realms of possibility that Real would appoint someone like Hierro to appease supporters if they had a couple of dodgy years, especially if it was under a more experienced director of football.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see something like that happening for Hierro, I'm just not sure clubs are afforded that gamble these days??

not quite he had been manager of the B team and lead them to winning their league.

Admittedly not the same level as the 1st team

I tend to agree with you, but they seem to do things a little differently in Spain, look at Barcelona, they've apointed Guardiola(sp) who has no previous managerial experience as far as I know - he was brought in as he used to be a "fans favourite" - it wouldn't suprise me to see Hierro walk straight into the job as and when the current manager is sacked, which is bound to happen within a couple of years.

The best thing about getting rid of Megson would be Alan Cork going with him.

Now he is a shite manager.

The reserves managed to lose at home to Burnley yesterday to follow on the defeat against Oldham in MSC.

There is a stench of failure around the club.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.