Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Betting Odds

Guest heatonwhite

Whilst I wouldn't be over the moon, I'd actually be pretty happy with Jewell.

Plays decent football, seems ambitious with the right club, talks sense 90% of the time and seems like a decent bloke whenever I've seen him interviewed.

I'd be a bit nervous with Peter Reid. Great bloke and I'd find it easy to get behind him, but I'd be worried about his track record and the time he's spent out of the hot seat.

Would be over the moon with Mark Hughes, but I can't see it happening (although if we don't at least approach him it would be a disgrace). Likewise Owen Coyle.

Darren Ferguson would be exciting, purely for the reasons someone else posted, could get us into Europe/could get us relegated, but I wouldn't like to be the one taking the risk.

Southgate/Dowie/Souness would all be panic signings and I would rather have stuck with Megson if I'm honest.

:good: Bout right that

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In the paper this morning, Megson is quoted as saying "People who know football know that I did a good job at Bolton". I wonder if that includes Gartside.

That seems to be Megsons favourite quote.

It used to be "the club was in the bottom three when I came here" He stopped using that one recently

Whilst I wouldn't be over the moon, I'd actually be pretty happy with Jewell.

Plays decent football, seems ambitious with the right club, talks sense 90% of the time and seems like a decent bloke whenever I've seen him interviewed.

I'd be a bit nervous with Peter Reid. Great bloke and I'd find it easy to get behind him, but I'd be worried about his track record and the time he's spent out of the hot seat.

Would be over the moon with Mark Hughes, but I can't see it happening (although if we don't at least approach him it would be a disgrace). Likewise Owen Coyle.

Darren Ferguson would be exciting, purely for the reasons someone else posted, could get us into Europe/could get us relegated, but I wouldn't like to be the one taking the risk.

Southgate/Dowie/Souness would all be panic signings and I would rather have stuck with Megson if I'm honest.

Pretty much sums my feelings up. Though as well as Hughes & Coyle, we should also ask about other good possibilities such as Bilic. We can only be told 'no'.

I don't think anyone carries as much negative baggage as Megson did, but Dowie & Souness would not be on my list either.

Coyle is now 9/1 with Paddys to be the next manager to leave his post, 25/1 with the others

http://www.oddschecker.com/football/englis...r-to-leave-post

I think there could be something in it, Burnley may not let him leave so he may have to hand in his notice

Burnley are on a bad run, since the start of November they have just 5 points out of 27 and the next 4 games are pretty tough, so his reputation would be intact. He knows Burnley are skint, we have better players and should (all things being equal) have a better chance of being a Premier League manager next year with us rather than them

As well as giving us a lift, it could really knock Burnley, sending them into freefall

I've posted before that my dream team would be George Graham & John McGinley but Coyle and Supa John would definately get even the miserable Bolton public excited

Coyle - he'd take it if Burnley let him go & we offer more money. I recon he will be Gartside's first choice , he won't want to pay the compensation to Burnley though.

Jewell - cheap & cheerfull , I like the guy , honest & I think perfect for Bolton. Most on here will disagree but I don't care. With the squad we have and a transfer window he'd keep us up easily and he'd also get us playing some decent football next season.

Hughes - won't want the job

Curbishley - would be OK but wouldn't move to the North West

Fergy junior - 100% gamble.

Brown - like him but don't like the side he's put together at Hull so think we should pass even if he's interested.

Reid - no hope , mates with BSA , Gartside won't trust him.

Others to consider

Lambert - played at the highest level done a great job so far at Colchester & Norwich

Grayson - doubtfull he'd leave Leeds but I'd take a gamble if we could get him

Edited by Sumo

I don't hold much with the betting odds to be honest. What was Megson before he was appointed?

very good point.

with Gartside maybe he looks at this as a way of making an extra ?200 or ?300k - 2 or 3 grand on a 100/1 shot. Bob's your uncle (or your new manager)

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.