Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Ticket Fast

Hutch

I can see turnstyle madness

If its anything like at the airport, the bar-code readers will not be able to read those DIY tickets printed in draft mode on crap home printers.

Edited by YATESY

This is perhaps the way forward or is it?

What are the flaws?

The club read this site so it's time to air your views warning.gif

as Waffa cup said the tout thing may not be an issue.

but there's many a person been turned away from th'apollo after buying a photocopy off a tout.

From a geekier perspective you don't get a ticket just an A4 piece of parer with a barcode on it.

for 90% of bolton fans i can't see a problem with it.

as long as they don;'t do the ticket master thing and charge you an admin fee that costs the same as posting you a ticket out.

This is perhaps the way forward or is it?

What are the flaws?

The club read this site so it's time to air your views warning.gif

Great idea imo. The flaws will be if the system has a fault on a matchday, would be a nightmare. As long as they write an idiots guide explaining how to use them as well, it should be a success imo.

what happens if you print two out, and you and your mate synchronise watches and swipe em at exactly the same time <_<

I'd assume the geekary bit would handle that correctly and it would be practically impossible to get them swiped at the same time (as you impled with the boldness).

This would explain ST move from the chip to barcodes?

As this is optional I can't see any downsides, proper tickets still available for those that want them? It should save the club money, although it must have cost a few quid to set up. If they have done their sums correctly then good on them, the less you have to rely on Royal Mail the better.

Great idea imo. The flaws will be if the system has a fault on a matchday, would be a nightmare. As long as they write an idiots guide explaining how to use them as well, it should be a success imo.

Over here they have hand held bar code readers for all events, no body looks at you ticket they just scan the bar code, with them being hand held if anything gose wrong they just get another one.

• Moderators

I'd assume the geekary bit would handle that correctly and it would be practically impossible to get them swiped at the same time (as you impled with the boldness).

This would explain ST move from the chip to barcodes?

As this is optional I can't see any downsides, proper tickets still available for those that want them? It should save the club money, although it must have cost a few quid to set up. If they have done their sums correctly then good on them, the less you have to rely on Royal Mail the better.

Generally, it's good to see BWFC have moved into the 21st century.

Basically, the system will have a semaphore so only one process can access the entry for that ticket in the database at once. It can update it as it's used and then free up the semaphore while the other person waits on a spinlock or something. Once it's used, it's done, unless a fool designed the system...

There are downsides of course, people using shit printers and/or paper for starters. And unless you laminate them they'll get pissed wet through in the rain as there's no shelter over the turnstiles.

Moving forward, you can do all this on electronic devices such as phones via these days. There's no need to have physical printouts as there is an ecological downside to this. iPhone app that displays your barcode, MMS or a unique URL accessable via a link in an email from any internet enabled device.

Edited by Carlos

Why not go the whole way and follow City with unmanned gates?

Why employ someone on each turnstyle to hold your ticket under a reader? Two stewards already stand inside the turnstiles to check bags etc, so they can watch over things.

Then these more intelligent employees of BWFC can be retained to work the kiosks.

Edited by YATESY

Why not go the whole way and follow City with unmanned gates?

Why employ someone on each turnstyle to hold your ticket under a reader? Two stewards already stand inside the turnstiles to check bags etc, so they can watch over things.

Then these more intelligent employees of BWFC can be retained to work the kiosks.

They may well be going down that road, but computers can crash, so you do need a manual system in place. Imagine the scene when thousands of fans can't get in because they don't have anyone manning turnstiles. That doesn't bear thinking about. This is exactly the same reason they haven't done away with checkout operators altogether in supermarkets.

As for the kiosks, I think trained chimpanzees could do a better job! If they stuck to the system it would be fine. One takes the money while the other gets the order- 2 staff per line, as it should be. Trouble is, you end up with people chopping and changing tills all the time. Once, there were three people on each of the two tills next to me and no-one on mine. The two who should have been operating my till went to assist their neighbours immediately after serving the customer before me- and that was half an hour before kick-off. I decided not to bother getting a pie at half time!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.