Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

London Transport Advice Needed.

big gal

me and the wife wanna take a day out to london, do all the sites ect. we are hoping to go during the week, not at a weekend.

Train is very expensive, flying means trains from heathrow to london which puts price up, so i will drive down.

But i dont wanna drive into the centre of london so any advice on where i can park on the outskirts, near a train or tube station that is safe and public transport is reliable for getting into the centre of london.

thanks in advance for any advice and help.

Cockfosters is always good, Ive done that many a time, then takes about 40 mins into the centre. Its around 1-2 junctions round the 25

I did this once. Going back the train was crowded and I was stood all the way. The train came to a sudden stop and we all banged into each other. The chap in front of me said is this Cockfosters. I said no, my name is Biff and it's my umbrella. :rofl:

me and the wife wanna take a day out to london, do all the sites ect. we are hoping to go during the week, not at a weekend.

Train is very expensive, flying means trains from heathrow to london which puts price up, so i will drive down.

But i dont wanna drive into the centre of london so any advice on where i can park on the outskirts, near a train or tube station that is safe and public transport is reliable for getting into the centre of london.

thanks in advance for any advice and help.

As said before Cockfosters is fine and is about 1.5 miles from junction 24 of the M25. ?3.50 parking all day, it's at the end of the Piccadilly Line and will get you most places (Piccadilly Circus, Leicester Square*, Covent Garden, etc)

*Trafalgar Square is 2 minutes walk from Leicester Square,which itself is 5-10 minutes from Buck House, Houses of Parliament and about 20 minutes from the London Eye, London Aquarium South Bank etc.etc.

PM me if you need more info.

Watford to Euston on train is only about 20 minutes. :good:

This. the train isnt expensive at all if your flexible with your dates. i booked the train aaaaaaaaaaaaaaages ago for chelsea, 10th of April - cost us ?16 each return. so were going down for the day anyway! can get on the wine too, bonus!

Edited by Totty

• Site Supporter

At the moment the Jubilee is closed at weekends between Stanmore and West Hampstead so you'd have to get a replacement bus service, so if you're going soon it would be no good. Watfords not a bad call- 3 or 4 trains an hour to Euston and just off the J5 of the M1

• Site Supporter

Ive driven down a few times and parked up at Stanmore, it's just after Scratchwood services, then get a day saver for the train/underground.

I concur. I got given an oyster card last time I was down there. It had a few quid on it so I used it and topped up as needed. Problem is, it's for folk who make a journey to work and a journey home each day, not a tourist who hops on and off the tube every few stops. It cost me a fucking fortune! Avoid the Oyster Card! :angry:

Other than that, I agree with whoever said book Virgin in advance. Cheap as French Fries and don't forget to reserve seating both ways.

• Site Supporter

Cheers for the replies and advice.

managed to get a train for ?35 each from runcorn to euston.

now need to book dungeons and london eye.

While at the Dungeons, you may feel like visiting the World war II experience exhibition. . . DON'T! What a waste of a few quid when I took the wife and kids during the couple of days we spent at that there London for the Chelsea game. They decided they could get some old shit, throw dust on it and play Vera Lynn records while folk walk around it. Mind numbing springs to mind!

Quite fancy going to the imperial war museum, if we got time.

got our first child due in august so want to go to hamleys also, never been. is it like Big!!

Hamleys is great! 5 floors packed to the rafters of toys YOU'LL want to play with, let alone the baby!

Covent Garden has lots of quirky stuff too (check out Octopus)

Hope you have a great time.

I concur. I got given an oyster card last time I was down there. It had a few quid on it so I used it and topped up as needed. Problem is, it's for folk who make a journey to work and a journey home each day, not a tourist who hops on and off the tube every few stops. It cost me a fucking fortune! Avoid the Oyster Card! :angry:

What would you suggest they use? Season tickets are for commuters, the Oyster card is aimed at less regular users. A single zone 1 tube journey is ?4 if you just buy a ticket, if you use Oyster it's ?1.80 Daily capped limit on an oyster for ALL journeys in zones 1-2 is ?7.20 if you use it peak times, it's ?5.60 off-peak

• Site Supporter

What would you suggest they use? Season tickets are for commuters, the Oyster card is aimed at less regular users. A single zone 1 tube journey is ?4 if you just buy a ticket, if you use Oyster it's ?1.80 Daily capped limit on an oyster for ALL journeys in zones 1-2 is ?7.20 if you use it peak times, it's ?5.60 off-peak

I ended up buying 2 adult off-peak day passes for zones 1 & 2 and 2 Junior day passes. I've just looked at the price guides and maybe it's no cheaper but the advantages are that you know exactly what you're spending and, if you're a very kind person, like what I am, you can give your tickets to a family of four when you arrive at Euston for your journey home. (Not quite what London Underground like you doing but fuck 'em!)

Cheers for the replies and advice.

managed to get a train for ?35 each from runcorn to euston.

now need to book dungeons and london eye.

The IWM is fantastic and to top off the day go and see War Horse at the New London Theatre. Trust me, you will like it. Or Enron before it goes to Broadway. Both great shows - and I'm not on comission.

For the rest of you, keep me in gainful employment by booking for When Harry Met Sally (Mandy from Hollyoaks and Jamie Baldwin from Corrie) at Manchester Palace or at Preston, alternatively if you love a bit of Carry On, Stop Messing About at the Lowry or Liverpool Empire should tickle your fancy.

I ended up buying 2 adult off-peak day passes for zones 1 & 2 and 2 Junior day passes. I've just looked at the price guides and maybe it's no cheaper but the advantages are that you know exactly what you're spending and, if you're a very kind person, like what I am, you can give your tickets to a family of four when you arrive at Euston for your journey home. (Not quite what London Underground like you doing but fuck 'em!)

Fair enough, that's not much different in price from using an oyster, and up until recently it was the better option if you were going on a train as well.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.