Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Claims To Bolton Fame!

gonzo

Father in Law played in same boys football team as Nat Lofthouse

Wife gave Frankie Worthington's sponsored Lada a car wash and bumped into Mickey Walsh on holiday in Northumbria

Stu Francis nearly came to my wedding but Harold Hassall (ex BWFC and England) did appear

[/size]

Ralph Banks is Wayne Cramps grandad. Tommy is his great uncle.

Tommy and Ralph Banks are my mums cousins.

My grandma Charlton is Bankys mums sister.

Me, Alan Ball and (I'm sure) Roy Greaves all scratched our names on the same desk at Farnworth Grammar School. Not at the same time, mind.

No relation to anyone.

Did score 2 at the Reebok in the first Football Aid match.

Went out on the lash with Laurie McMenemy, Alan Hudson, Alan Brazil and Steve Foster a couple of years back and the more they got p*ssed then the more stories they told which can't be put on here. Steve Foster did get a bit gay though. Alan Hudson a p*ss head as if we didn't know - triple vodka and orange - what's all that a bout?

Told that I was the first person ever to be "requested to leave" one of the corporate boxes at the Emirates this year when we went 3 - 2 down.

But my all time favourite and it still cracks me up when I think about it, early 90's when we had Wolves away in the F A Cup I couldn't get a ticket. Still had my plaster cast in the garage from a few months back so phoned Wolves asking about disability area. Mugs gave me two free tickets and parking space next to the entrance. Got there but couldn't park up as I was driving and needed to tape my cast on so went up to the supermarket bit and did it there. Sat in 2nd row behind the goal where we scored and still put the Roadrunner video on to see us sat there with big grins. Did leave a couple of mins early and left the cast in the parking space they gave us as it stunk and I couldn't drive with it on!!

Can't think of owt else at mo,

not forgetting in the fifties,the bloody rag and bone man was your uncle.

right,my grandmas brother,as in my great uncle,was married to francis banks,who was the cousin off ralph and tommy.all lived on same streets,my dads lot lived at 10 merrion street,which ran along the bottom of thorne street where ralph,tommy and rest of family lived.all this being in moses gate,farnworth.

so mr whitewhizz your honour,my sinscere apologies for calling him my actual great unlce! :sorry: ..but like i say three families all living within two streets..theyre all your uncles and aunties!

oh and david hatton futre bolton captain lived 3 doors away in the same street and was in my dads class at st thomas' school in moses gate.

It's ok Gonzo. I wasn't questioning you. As a weird coincidence, my Dad also went to St Thomas' school in Moses Gate. The same year as Dave Hatton and your Dad. I believe they had a very decent football team. And guess what, my Dad reckons he was better than Dave Hatton, haha.

Can't say i have much

. I won a Bolton Wanderers penalty shootout, between loads of schools

. Nicolas Anelka gave me a free pair of boots and signed them.

. When we beat Newcastle 4-3 at the Reebok, i was seen on t.v for a second or so

. Ages ago, the Bolton players trained at the athletics ground on Leverhulme Park, Bergsson let me and my cousin join in for 10 minutes and we got our pic taken with them.

Edited by DidledeeBwfc

[/size]

It's ok Gonzo. I wasn't questioning you. As a weird coincidence, my Dad also went to St Thomas' school in Moses Gate. The same year as Dave Hatton and your Dad. I believe they had a very decent football team. And guess what, my Dad reckons he was better than Dave Hatton, haha.

no worries mate..hint of sarcasm in my post anyroad! i personally think every single person born in bolton is actually related in one way or another..not in a blackburn way,by the way! think even my dad thought your dad was better than dave hatton!

Edited by gonzo

whats gerry mc up to?

He works in a warehouse in Derby, missed out on the big money big time.

I asked about his transfer & apparently he did not want to leave the club at all. It was only a couple of years ago that he caught up with John McGovern who explained that they had to sell him & I think Jeff Chandler or else the club could have gone bust.

• Moderators

cheers for that

dunno about you but i always thought all our money problems could have been dealt with by selling neil redfearn for a couple of million

class act, that redfearn

• Site Supporter

My Grandad, "Pop" , took Nat Lofthouse to his first Bolton game.

He used to live next door to him on Thicketford Road. I was extremely proud when Nat

turned up to Pop's funeral and he told me the story of how he sat him at the front

of the embankment and his love affair with Bolton Wanderers began.

It's said the Burnden Paddock and Stand were built with the money the club got from selling David Jack in the 20's.

We could have put a roof on the bogs in the corner of the Lever End with the Redfearn money.

Think it might have been the Lever End, but same difference.

Ive done skysports fanzone many times and met most of the presenters. What I would like to know is,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, who is Matt? for many years travelling up and down the country almost everywhere I went was graffiti which read` Matt and BWFC, this was years ago starting in the late 70s through the eighties, anyone else ever come accross this in the past?.

• Moderators

was on MOTD flicking the Vs at Trevor Benjamin stood behind the goals at Cambridge in the cup in 1999

used to write the Vernon Kay column in the matchday programme for him in the 2002/03 season - Gartside once used it at an AGM to show the sort of positive attitude he wanted the board etc to display instead of being negative about relegation

I sprayed "McFarland Out!" on the croft lane end of Burnden Park in a fit of pique the night we lost to West Ham. I may have been a bit 'creative' on the Manny Road end as well. Or I know a bloke who was!

Did you 'Kill Cricket' also ?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.