Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Recent Filums I've Watched

Smiley

2 hours ago, Not in Crawley said:

That's like says Love's album isn't influential because it's not sold as many as Shania Twain (nothing against Shania Twain by the way)

Just because it's not popular or mainstream doesn't mean it's not important. Many of the so called classics were small budget independent films to start with, same with music, same with books.

Same with one of my favorite bands The Velvet Underground, sold poorly initially, but would argue their first four albums are far more influential than anything Shania Twain's done.

By the first couple of Love albums are incredibly good, would put them up there with the likes of The Stooges, New York Dolls or Frank Zappa. 

• Members
20 minutes ago, DavidLeesMullet said:

Same with one of my favorite bands The Velvet Underground, sold poorly initially, but would argue their first four albums are far more influential than anything Shania Twain's done.

By the first couple of Love albums are incredibly good, would put them up there with the likes of The Stooges, New York Dolls or Frank Zappa. 

Frank Zappa is absolute nonsense 

The stooges well now you’re talking. 

3 minutes ago, Rudy said:

Frank Zappa is absolute nonsense 

The stooges well now you’re talking. 

Zappa is definately one of those marmite guys, you either get his music or you don't. Personally I got into him very late when somebody gave me his Thing Fish and Joe's Garage triple albums, some good stuff on there, but some shite too.

As for The Stooges, would go as far as Iggy Pop's 70s albums too, especially Lust For Life and The Idiot.

Are you much of a Lou Reed fan at all, Velvet Underground or solo? 

• Members
3 minutes ago, DavidLeesMullet said:

Zappa is definately one of those marmite guys, you either get his music or you don't. Personally I got into him very late when somebody gave me his Thing Fish and Joe's Garage triple albums, some good stuff on there, but some shite too.

As for The Stooges, would go as far as Iggy Pop's 70s albums too, especially Lust For Life and The Idiot.

Guy at work put me on to him and I just didn’t get it. The Sheik album and apostrophe I thought what the hell am I listening to, Captain Beefheart as well. Mentalists. 
Yeah love Lou Reed and VU, pretty much listen to anything Nico is on 

50 minutes ago, DavidLeesMullet said:

He's so good. It took my by music lecturer at uni to get me into him. Weazle ripped my flesh. Amazing.

43 minutes ago, Rudy said:

Guy at work put me on to him and I just didn’t get it. The Sheik album and apostrophe I thought what the hell am I listening to, Captain Beefheart as well. Mentalists. 
Yeah love Lou Reed and VU, pretty much listen to anything Nico is on 

It's like watching meat and potato's football in comparison to seeing a completely new way of playing the game.

It's boring to listen to verse chorus verse all the time

• Members
2 minutes ago, Not in Crawley said:

It's like watching meat and potato's football in comparison to seeing a completely new way of playing the game.

It's boring to listen to verse chorus verse all the time

I’m open minded to most music, but it’s just nonsense. 

6 minutes ago, Rudy said:

I’m open minded to most music, but it’s just nonsense. 

Not from a music sense it isn't. Of its not your cup of tea, fair enough but it's mindblowingly new even now and the musicianship is something else.

Listen I love a big chorus as much as the next person but there are times when it doesn't scratch a certain itch. Otherwise Oasis would be creative geniuses, which they aren't.

32 minutes ago, Not in Crawley said:

Not from a music sense it isn't. Of its not your cup of tea, fair enough but it's mindblowingly new even now and the musicianship is something else.

Listen I love a big chorus as much as the next person but there are times when it doesn't scratch a certain itch. Otherwise Oasis would be creative geniuses, which they aren't.

Hink what throws most people when listening to Zappa is his use of jazz phrasing, irregular time signatures and modulation. Got to agree with i think Rudi when he mentioned Beefheart, tried to listen to him but he does my head in real horrorshow.

Getting back to the subject of films did you know that one of Viv Stanshall's most famous creations had a film made of him 'Sir Henry At Rawlinson End'

It's a very strange film crammed with Stanshall's bizarre sense of surreal humour, but has a good cast, Trevor Howard Patrick Magee, Denise Coffey, Liz Smith and Viv Stanshall himself. 

31 minutes ago, Mr Grey said:

I watched that 'The Headless Eyes' earlier,.... I turned it off after 20 minutes, what a pile of shit!! 💩

I agree totally, like 75% of movies on the list. But if you want to watch some good video nasties then I'd recommend...

1. The Driller Killer

2. Last House On The Left (1972)

3. Zombie Flesh Eaters

4. The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (1974)

5. Shogun Assassin

6. Tenebrae

7. Cannibal Holocaust

8. Scanners

9. The Burning

10. The Thing (1982)

11. Alice Sweet Alice

12. Dawn Of The Dead

13. The Evil Dead (1981)

14. Friday The 13th (1980)

15. The Hills Have Eyes (1977)

16. Deep Red

17. I Spit On Your Grave (1978)

18. The House By The Cemetery

19. Killer Nun

20. The Beyond

16 minutes ago, green genie said:

Sign of the times that there are some very mediocre horror in that list.

Dont compare to Martyrs (original French version) , first Hellraiser , Baskin or even Ring.

I wouldn't say so, The Texas Chainsaw Massacre, Last House On The Left, The Hills Have Eyes, Friday The 13th, Dawn Of The Dead, The Evil Dead and Zombie Flesh Eaters are concidered classics even to this day. 

4 minutes ago, DavidLeesMullet said:

I wouldn't say so, The Texas Chainsaw Massacre, Last House On The Left, The Hills Have Eyes, Friday The 13th, Dawn Of The Dead, The Evil Dead and Zombie Flesh Eaters are concidered classics even to this day. 

Not disagreeing they're classic and may have scared a few in their time, but still tame compared to what can see on uncontrolled cable tv now.

6 hours ago, DavidLeesMullet said:

There's one film I'm sure you'll agree that even though its approaching 50 years old, is still as scary as it was on the day of its release...The Exorcist!!! 

Agreed and I'd add The Omen,  but it's the evil that man can do films rather than supernatural I find unsettling. 

Talking of which surprised Salo not on your original list.

Edited by green genie

• Members
5 hours ago, bolton_blondie said:

I remember watching it about 14. Scared the crap out of me. Still does now. But I'm mard. 

Watched it when I was 8, didn’t sleep properly for days. Won’t ever watch it. 

Edited by Rudy