Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Famous Footballers You've Played With Or Against

Smiley

Mark Robbins (on Oldham Athletic) - was a Dad's vs Lads match for an old team from that area from the 60s (step-dad had played in). So I lined-up alongside a youthful Robbins - def stood out.

Gary Flitcroft - played against a few times when he was with Moss Bank.

Ronnie Irani - okay, not a footballer, but played with at Christchurch.

Peter Nicholson - played against on Burnden 7s.

Tom Bentham - Rochdale youth player who won Soccer AM's skills school this Saturday just gone!

Also sure I've played with Jason Wilcox and Mike Pollitt - but my memory has faded since my early teens!

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Alan Kennedy.

Went to one of his Soccer School's in Liverpool Years ago. My team were winning 8-0 in the final of a 5-a-side, I had scored all 8 goals, he thought it was unfair, so went on the other team and marked me.....pulling at my shirt, being a bit over the top, I was 11 years old ffs.

So I thought, fook this RS tw?t, so I give him the run around, making him chase me all over the sports hall, all the parents were watching as it was the last game of the Course, they were all laughing at him. I scored another 3 goals, but one of them, im about 15 yards out, and hi is stood in front of me, concentrating, on his heals reedy to pounce, when I rolled it under my foot, flicked it through his legs, just as he was about to dive on me, he spun round and landed on his ars?.....I raced through and broke the net.....!

All the parents were cheering, and all the Everton fans were singing our 1 song....and Alan Kennedy stormed past me and refused to shake my hand !!

Edited by Pablo

Played with and against Geoff Lomax when I used to work for Football in the Community.

Also played head tennis against a couple of girls from the England Football team once who absolutely smashed us about 21/12.

Once working at the ground carrying advertising hoardings round the pitch during the McFarland era I think. At the time, the first team were still training at the Reebok. Anyway, Phil Brown and Alan Thompson used us as target practice from the centre circle, knowing full well we couldn't drop the board and could only duck out of the way. W*nkers. To be fair, once we'd put the board down they shouted over that we could have a free shot back at them.

Played with quite alot over the years, mostly lower league ex-pro's that drifted into non-league

Most famous would be:

Peter Shilton (won a national penalty comp with him in nets for the final)

Bobby Charlton (won a thing at his soccer school as a kid; god knows how old he was but he was still really useful in the 80's)

Paul McGrath

Mickey Thomas

Currently still playing:

Andy Hughes (currently at Leeds)

Andy Holt (currently at Northampton)

Gavin Strachan (Son of Gordon)

And ex-Bolton:

David Lee

Mike Whitlow

Tony Kelly

Nicky Spooner

Against

Steven Gerrard - Local league when aged about 10

Michael Owen (he played for Deeside schoolboys when i played for st helens schoolboys)

Warnock - He played for Southport when i played for St Helens. We played them at Anfield

Possibly a couple of others but i cant think off top of my head

I tell a lie it wasnt warnock, it was that other scouser, michael ball. My brother played agaisnt warnock, cpl of years younger

Edited by tarian1979

Nigel Jemson, Craig Hignett, Lenny Johnrose, Ian Nolan.

Showing my age now

Did you ever play with Iffy Ornoura at Bradford?

Played for Swindon, Huddersfield and Gillingham.

Currently managing the Ethiopian National team.

Over one summer used to play 5 a side with him 2-3 times a week.

• Site Supporter

Loads, but most famous Steve Heighway in a 5 a side tourny.

Best was Jim Steele ex Tranmere striker, he was still quite young after retiring, and was far and away the hardest opponent I've ever had.

He could head it further than I could kick it.

Is he really?! Good fact that

He used to terrorise us for Huddersfield

• Site Supporter

Played against Phil Neville for school. We won 5-1 and I scored a beauty of a free kick from the edge of the box!

Also played with and against Graeme Allen who went on to play for Everton and Tranmere....but not sure you'd class him as a famous footballer.

You know Phillip Heap? His claim to fame was that he was captain of the school team that had both Neville brothers in.

Know of him, he was at Huddersfield at the time - I missed the trials in my first year (pissed) - think that was his last year.

Started playing in the second year and he was still hanging about the place on a Wednesday afternoon. Turned out the blokes running the football club were utter bellends so I jacked it in.

My brother lived with Iffy for a couple of years at uni in Bradford, couple of stories stand out, one was a defender calling him a balck bastard and iffy knocking him out cold and then offering the rest of their team out who pretty much legged it and Iffy in his first year as a pro got invited to his first big pfa event and ended up throwing all over the place. Created a great impression.. As for famous footballers I played 5 a side with Prekki and had a kick around this yugoslavian who'd played with George Best at San Jose Earthquakes.. Pretty poor return..

Played against Phil Neville for school. We won 5-1 and I scored a beauty of a free kick from the edge of the box!

Also played with and against Graeme Allen who went on to play for Everton and Tranmere....but not sure you'd class him as a famous footballer.

goes in 3 pigons on wigan rd now mate of my mate ok to talk to was on ?3000 a week at tranmere was talking with him other week said i would fuck that bird over there with nice arse .said thats my girlfriend ha ha :yahoo:

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.