Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Famous Footballers You've Played With Or Against

Smiley

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Played with Jimmy Quinn (once all-time top goalscorer for N. Ire plus scorer at Wembley in 95 play off final)

Played against Mickey Thomas - Welsh bloke who prints his own money (or did) (allegedly)

God, and how could I forget? 3 times against former White Chris Armstrong. He was the only bloke in Wrexham that never scored against me (he used to pack sausages before Wxm signed him and he ended up a ?4m footballer!)

• Site Supporter

I once scored a penalty past David Felgate. I was 12 and I assure you he was trying to save it.

I also put a young David Beckham right off a corner he took at Burnden in a reserves match years ago by calling him a talentless red wanker who would never make anything of himself.

I stand by my opinion. The corner went straight out of play.

Edited by Spider

I played for Salford school boys with Ryan Wilson - now known as Ryan Giggs.

Played against Tony Kelly when he joined Wigan, it was a pre season friendly & I was in goal for Athey Colls, Mick bennet was also in the colls team.

Played against Jeff Chandler, he was at Blackpool Wren rovers, I was at Tempest.

Tony Caldwell turned out regular for a Salford team (name forgotten maybe willows?) I was playing for Breightmet united.

There will be others just racking me brains to remember them.

I played for Salford school boys with Ryan Wilson - now known as Ryan Giggs.

Played against Tony Kelly when he joined Wigan, it was a pre season friendly & I was in goal for Athey Colls, Mick bennet was also in the colls team.

Played against Jeff Chandler, he was at Blackpool Wren rovers, I was at Tempest.

Tony Caldwell turned out regular for a Salford team (name forgotten maybe willows?) I was playing for Breightmet united.

There will be others just racking me brains to remember them.

When did you play for Breightmet Utd?

I played against them when New Mills were down in the Manchester league in the early noughties

Seem to remember you had a shocking pitch?

steve tohmpson managed my youth team blackpool rangers,played against keiron donolly,ex england under 19 and blackburn player.also played against brett ormerods brother.

worked as a coach at the fox kids cup at the reebok and had breif kick about with trevor francis....

thats pretty wank isnt it....

Gonzo, I worked with Kieron last year, he was on trial at Barrow last I heard

he was a class apart as a kid,went to warbreck school,the rival of mine,nobody could get near him.

i reckon he may of filled out with years gone by,at 13 he was an out and out whizzikid full of pace,but at 16,he was more a playmaker behind the front two,still awsome mind....good luck to the lad,not easy in this day.

Mark Fish, Roy Wegerle, Sammy Troughton, Steve Ingles, Bjorn Gugger,

Have been coached by Bill Morgan who played for wolves and coached by Dave Barber who played for Preston and Barnsley

Oh, played in the same team as John "bomber" Brown in a guest team at Sun City

Played with quite alot over the years, mostly lower league ex-pro's that drifted into non-league

Most famous would be:

Peter Shilton (won a national penalty comp with him in nets for the final)

Bobby Charlton (won a thing at his soccer school as a kid; god knows how old he was but he was still really useful in the 80's)

Paul McGrath

Mickey Thomas

Currently still playing:

Andy Hughes (currently at Leeds)

Andy Holt (currently at Northampton)

Gavin Strachan (Son of Gordon)

And ex-Bolton:

David Lee

Mike Whitlow

Tony Kelly

Nicky Spooner

Holty captained their win at Anfield last night :yahoo:

Kaka although it was only for a couple of minutes but hope it counts

Was on holiday in Dubai a few years ago and they organised a staff v guests match.

Kaka was staying there at the time and joined in for the first 5 minutes. He's not really allowed to do that kind of thing so only touched the ball a few times but blimey he was good. It was like watching ballet he was soooo graceful

To be fair he stayed and watched the whole game and chatted to us at half time (not that we could understand a word he was saying as his English is not very good)and signed autographs for everyone that wanted one.

Good fella

When did you play for Breightmet Utd?

I played against them when New Mills were down in the Manchester league in the early noughties

Seem to remember you had a shocking pitch?

I played for Breightmet around the mid to late 90's. Played many games at New Mills, I used to enjoy a trip there, we even went one day with it lashing down & the ref called it off after we arrived due to the bottom corner flooded. Both New Mills & Breightmet were livid.

The pitch at Breightmet has always been the same lumpy clumps of grass all over with lots of sand down the middle. :good:

I played for Breightmet around the mid to late 90's. Played many games at New Mills, I used to enjoy a trip there, we even went one day with it lashing down & the ref called it off after we arrived due to the bottom corner flooded. Both New Mills & Breightmet were livid.

The pitch at Breightmet has always been the same lumpy clumps of grass all over with lots of sand down the middle. :good:

are you over 35 and interested in a vets team??? :whistle:

Yep, Church Lane has a horrendous slope - it often flooded at one end. Made for some interesting "games of 2 halves" though.

Since they've gone up the pyramid a bit they've spent a bit on it and it's better now. Worst I saw was at Buxton - we left for an evening cup match and it was fine, then as we got into Buxton it started lashing down...the pitch would have been ok, but the water ran down the main stand for about half an hour before kick off and caused a huge puddle near the half way line that they couldn't shift! We ended up trudging back home...

You'll have played just a few years before me...they were always confused up at Breightmet when someone from New Mills turned up with a BWFC bag etc :D

Paul Mariner

Played For atherton Colls in a friendly against chorley. I played at cetre back and was told to watch their centre forward as he had a reputation for using his elbows. The centre forward scored five that day and gave me one hell of a run around. Some months later a friend said to me, "Denn, do you remember that player who scored five against us pre season, he`s just signed for Plymouth", the rest is history.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.