Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Bolton Fans Where Are You?

Well done to the 1000 or so who went yesterday, but what has happened to our support? we seem to have plenty of fans who just do the big occasion or the 1 jolly boys outing a season, BWFC are on an upward curve, would not take much for us to be in a Europa place, were playing great football and still you cant get of your arses for a game 90 minutes down the road.

• Site Supporter

I wonder if the cost of a day out at a football match has anything to do with it. I attend matches with my wife and two kids. At most places there's not too much change out of ?100 just for the tickets and we haven't even got there yet. Add to that the cost of travel and food/drink and it's a bloody dear day out. We don't all work in jobs where the company picks up the fuel bill!

If, however, I can manage a weekend away with a game thrown in; London for example, then it becomes more affordable as a treat.

• Site Supporter

I only make the odd away day these days, to be honest when we are away I can listen to the wireless or see it online and yet have time to do other stuff on a Saturday, It can be too expensive for an away day, when I was younger It was easy to justify blowing 100 quid on a jolly boys to that there London, first train down and last train home, now that kind of cash isnt as easy to justify to simply spend on footy. Footy has gone down on the list of priorities these days im afraid.

EDIT: I have a season ticket so dont miss home games

Edited by superjohnmcginlay

Guest Frandsen08

i been to 2 away games this season, and i had planned to go yesterday but saturday morning i had to work at the last minute so cancelled it.

the cost is the biggest reason i reckon for a lot

oh and i been a season ticket holder for 16 years i think, and unless work interferes witht hat i doubt i will ever stop

Edited by Frandsen08

• Site Supporter

there was a time when i never missed a game, but times change.

i do local derbys now but id rather spend the day with my boys, away matches take up most of the day.

the wife takes them shopping when the match is on so i still get to watch the game on foriegn sat or internet.

but when theyre both old enough we'll all be there.

I agree there are many valids reasons for missing away games and I rarely do the London trips due to the expense, I just get th feeling there are quite a few whites out there who used to go but for trivial reasons hve stopped, many used the Megson excuse, many the games on in the pub and its free and a tenner for 5 pints, just feel that if BWFC is to progress as a club the fans have a big part to play home and way, I do not want us to become like wigan 14k on at home with 3 k Wolves and 50 odd away fans at Spurs the other week, there are less and less bolton fans and those few have to make more of an effort both financially and vocally to play a small part in keeping our club in the top flight, my plea is if you can support the team and club it helps keeping us in the top flight and the more of a legacy for our kids and the future of our club and town.

Guest Frandsen08

its worth noting as well mounts, a few weeks ago we had a cracking following at burnley, ?15 a ticket ?10 on club travel.to go with a bunch of mates and pay on your own its one thing but some take kids and its an expensive doo, and west brom isnt the most appealing away game is it.

• Site Supporter

I agree there are many valids reasons for missing away games and I rarely do the London trips due to the expense, I just get th feeling there are quite a few whites out there who used to go but for trivial reasons hve stopped, many used the Megson excuse, many the games on in the pub and its free and a tenner for 5 pints, just feel that if BWFC is to progress as a club the fans have a big part to play home and way, I do not want us to become like wigan 14k on at home with 3 k Wolves and 50 odd away fans at Spurs the other week, there are less and less bolton fans and those few have to make more of an effort both financially and vocally to play a small part in keeping our club in the top flight, my plea is if you can support the team and club it helps keeping us in the top flight and the more of a legacy for our kids and the future of our club and town.

Heartfelt, I'm sure, but even under Megson, on the odd occasion the away games were affordable [due to free travel and reduced priced tickets] there were plenty who travelled. 'Boro away, Chelsea away in the Cup, etc.

It's all about the cost.

Guest bwfcdan

Pay on the door wouldn't do any harm I think. So you can make a late decision.

It was disappointing our following yesterday, not just us though, Blackburn took about 600 to Stoke yesterday.. Agree it's about the cost, hopefully though with us playing some decent football at the moment more people will want to travel away from home..

We do this subject to death!

I went everywhere from the late 80's until a few years ago

Mixture of playing on Saturdays, playing golf and not being as interested means I pick and choose these days

West Ham away was quality

Last Sunday was also pretty good

But I'm not going to go every week anymore - it became a chore rather than a pleasure

I'm afraid BWFC isn't my life anymore...

But hasn't your away support always been quite poor ??

You have been good in Cup games over the years, and you are vocal, but your numbers have always been poor.

But your 'Lad'/Fan ratio is high !!

To be honest we had a better away support in the lower divisions. I regularly went and you decide last minute as well because the games weren't all ticket and they were cheap as well.

• Moderators

We do this subject to death!

I went everywhere from the late 80's until a few years ago

Mixture of playing on Saturdays, playing golf and not being as interested means I pick and choose these days

West Ham away was quality

Last Sunday was also pretty good

But I'm not going to go every week anymore - it became a chore rather than a pleasure

I'm afraid BWFC isn't my life anymore...

but, he's not asking why you don't go

hes asking why haven't you been replaced

i don't go to so many for a few reasons, not least can't be arsed, cost, kids football

To be honest we had a better away support in the lower divisions. I regularly went and you decide last minute as well because the games weren't all ticket and they were cheap as well.

Surely a general football problem, rather than a Bolton Wanderers problem.

I remember a few years ago most clubs having decent away followings, even the likes of Wigan and Blackburn.

Only really a handfull of clubs will take thousands everywere.

• Moderators

maybe you're right, but i don't think MK would ask that seeing as he was after a ticket for the united game last week as he hasn't shelled out for a season ticket

it'd be rather hypocritical to criticise folk who 'backed' the club with their hard earned pre-season, wouldn't it

maybe you're right, but i don't think MK would ask that seeing as he was after a ticket for the united game last week as he hasn't shelled out for a season ticket

it'd be rather hypocritical to criticise folk who 'backed' the club with their hard earned pre-season, wouldn't it

It would

And that crossed my mind

But by mentioning folk who stopped going because of Megson and those who stopped going to stop in a pub, that reads to me like it's about those that have stopped...not a new generation of fans that haven't been generated

• Site Supporter

football in general is thriving because of the hollywood factor.

but only at top clubs and clubs new to the experience.

the rest of us make up the numbers.

many of the fans of those other clubs are bored with the mediocrity and the cost.

whats the answer? not a fuckin clue.

Edited by HomerJay

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.