Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Davies In England Squad

Zico

getting the words geoff, palmer, carlton and thomas

lovely lad but out of his depth

'effin bulmah that comment.

Carlton Thomas is not even a first team regular yet at th'emirates!

Normally don't give a flying one about the England team but Cahill's debut and now this shows that it still counts.

Proud as punch for Super Kev - if anyone's deserved a cap over the past 5 seasons or so, he has.

• Moderators

if he scores 3 it'll prove nowt

we strolled through the last qualifiers and were then exposed

anyway, i hope he gets a cap, i really do, but its not the way we should be going to win a competition

6 years too late

he could have saved us against Portugal in 2004 and then become a squad regular

Is he/was he ever good enough? Maybe we'll get a glimpse

Cahill deserves a proper chance

• Moderators

now, that i do agree with

cahill should be playing

maybe he isn't the finished article, but give him 6/8 games and he'll either be or he won't

lescott is what he is - limited, functional but not going to get better

cahill is full of potential

a footballing centre back with good pace

what international football is about

emile heskey is, was and always will be a poor mans kevin davies.

yes its 6 yrs overdue, yes its pointles, yes it could be construed as a backwards step but im chuffed as fcuk about it.

that lad WILL NOT let anybody down and will not be found wanting. if capello wants a target man then davies is as good as it gets.

potential is all well and good but you can`t have a team full of `potential`. you do need someone with big bollocks and a kick like a mule too.

enter SKD.

I always remember FSA saying that nothing gave him greater satisfaction than seeing the look on defenders faces when they`d spent 90 minutes trying to mark Kevin Davies.

hurrah

I am delighted for SKD, it is a really strange desicion though, not sure what he has done in the last 2-3 months that has earned him the call up.

On Talk Sport this morning they were saying he has more yellow cards than goals which made me laugh.

Maybe Cappello has got the message that the generation of millionaires need a reminder that football is about more than the money.

I know SKD will be paid an incredible amount but there is not another player in the squad who is more deserving on the recognition.

I am delighted for SKD, it is a really strange desicion though, not sure what he has done in the last 2-3 months that has earned him the call up.

On Talk Sport this morning they were saying he has more yellow cards than goals which made me laugh.

Maybe Cappello has got the message that the generation of millionaires need a reminder that football is about more than the money.

I know SKD will be paid an incredible amount but there is not another player in the squad who is more deserving on the recognition.

I'm worried he'll become as much of a cunt as the rest of the england squad, i fully expect to see him turn up at stoke in a lime green escillade wearing jautilly angled Ed Hardy trucker cap with some Dr Dre headphones round his neck with some bright orange slag from J2's on his arm.

Its funny how people, well some of the simple folk on here, want to change opinions on the England, to suit them.

1 minute they want to give young players a chance, as we need to look to the future = CAHILL.....!

Next minute its Great for England that a 33 year old Striker is making his debut = DAVIES!!

Now what do you want ?? Young up and coming players getting tried and tested for the good of the England Team, and for us to compete with other developing nations.....or do you want a 33 debutant !?!

I like Davies, solid fella. But have we all forgotten the World Cup ??

Would Kevin Davies running around V Germany in South Africa been good for England and helped us in any way ?? Anyone who says YES is deluded, and so blinkered its untrue.

Cahill SHOULD be in every single squad IMO, he IS the future Centre back for England, but Davies, unfortunately for him, we have not had a manager with big enough Balls to Call him up years ago !!

Its funny how people, well some of the simple folk on here, want to change opinions on the England, to suit them.

1 minute they want to give young players a chance, as we need to look to the future = CAHILL.....!

Next minute its Great for England that a 33 year old Striker is making his debut = DAVIES!!

Now what do you want ?? Young up and coming players getting tried and tested for the good of the England Team, and for us to compete with other developing nations.....or do you want a 33 debutant !?!

Would Kevin Davies running around V Germany in South Africa been good for England and helped us in any way ?? Anyone who says YES is deluded, and so blinkered its untrue.

Cahill SHOULD be in every single squad IMO, he IS the future Centre back for England, but Davies, unfortunately for him, we have not had a manager with big enough Balls to Call him up years ago !!

Perhaps they see that it's great for Davies to get a call up and recognition that he's doing well in they eyes of capello.

from an england point of view i'd rather he called up someone from the U21's to take davos bench warming spot.

Guest Frandsen08

pablo, the majority of posters on here are bolton fans, so its not strange that the majority are proud as punch for him, its recognistion he deserves after years of hardwork that hes finally been rewarded.

we should be beating montenegro with our under 21's its not like hes been picked for the world cup. out of all decisions capello has made this is far from the worst and far from a joke.

Edited by Frandsen08

I think if you read most comments on here people are happy for SKD that he has been called up.

Not sure if anyone has said that this is a great day for the future of the England team.

Cahill is potentially a bit part of England's future, that's right. That said, I can understand his omission given that he'll have only had one game in a month by the time the Montenegro game comes round.

As for Davies, I think everyone is chuffed that as popular player as we've had in a long time has got a bit of deserved recognition and is that little bit closer to fulfilling an ambition.

I think most people who are pleased would concede it's a sorry indictment of English football that he's about the best we can do.

As the moment, though, he is.

Who else is available? Heskey isn't interested, Agbonlahor, Defoe and Zamora are all injured, and Carlton Cole is behind Piquionne and Obinna at West Ham. Andy Carroll has proved cock all yet and was only on the Newcastle bench on Sunday.

Luke Varney, anyone?

Of the strikers selected, Crouch hasn't scored a league goal this season, and Rooney has only managed one penalty for the Scum since March. AND his club say he isn't fit.

There's only Davies and Brixton left, FFS.

Well you want a blend of old and new don`t you?

Agreed entirely that no previous manager had the bollocks to call him up but at 33 hes hardly past it. If they want a plan B then Davies is a plan B.

Also, as he has a wealth of experience and has played against all the Premier League top players he won`t need much in the way of a settling in period. What will be interesting is if he ends up pulling splinters out of his arse. now that would be pointless!

Edited by derek smalls

if he scores 3 it'll prove nowt

we strolled through the last qualifiers and were then exposed

anyway, i hope he gets a cap, i really do, but its not the way we should be going to win a competition

Spot on. Theres players younger than Davies that i wouldnt put in the squad because we need to build a team that is capable of winning a tournament. Theres plenty players in the squad who we have seen enough of to know they arent good enough. Davies hasnt had his chance like some of them but its come too late in his career for him to make an impact in 2012 at the age of 35 so theres not much point having him there in reality.

I do hope he gets a game because he deserves a cap at least but i doubt he will get on.

Totally over the moon about SKD's call up. Hopefully he'll at least help the squad get a bit more motivated.

Serious question. Would you rather have Davies or Torres in our squad. I know who I'd pick.....!

getting the words geoff, palmer, carlton and thomas

lovely lad but out of his depth

Only out of his depth if your the type of hype believer who honestly thinks England have chances in major tournmanents. If you look at England for what they are, bog standard average with a couple of quality players, then i dont see the big surprise in the call up. Hes certainly no worse a line leader than Carlton Cole and Heskey whove played for England, in Heskeys case a fair bit.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.