Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Davies In England Squad

Zico

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/blog/2010/oct/12/england-montenegro-euro-2012-qualifier

"As for Kevin Davies: it took Bolton's bruiser 16 minutes to collect the first yellow card of his international career and not much longer for him to leave his imprint on Montenegro's goalkeeper in a style that might have prompted his dismissal."

"Davies, who replaced Crouch on 69 minutes in this 0-0 draw, mistook his international debut for Bolton versus Blackburn. In a tournament he would be gone in 60 seconds."

Is this guy serious? It wasn't even a foul never mind a booking! The guy just ran into him and fell over. As for the keeper, what was wrong with going for the ball? Did nothing wrong. Some people are just fecking ridiculous.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/blog/2010/oct/12/england-montenegro-euro-2012-qualifier

"As for Kevin Davies: it took Bolton's bruiser 16 minutes to collect the first yellow card of his international career and not much longer for him to leave his imprint on Montenegro's goalkeeper in a style that might have prompted his dismissal."

"Davies, who replaced Crouch on 69 minutes in this 0-0 draw, mistook his international debut for Bolton versus Blackburn. In a tournament he would be gone in 60 seconds."

Is this guy serious? It wasn't even a foul never mind a booking! The guy just ran into him and fell over. As for the keeper, what was wrong with going for the ball? Did nothing wrong. Some people are just fecking ridiculous.

I was rather afraid of this sort of reaction

The usual suspects blaming England's woeful and lacklustre build up play and movement on the easiest targets; rather than looking at overhyped Gerrard, Barry Rooney etc.

I just hope that SKD doesn't become synonymous with that England performance in the eyes of the nation

FWIW I didn't actually think that SKD was "that" good - his link up play was ok, but he looked a little lost at times, which isn't unusual for substitute forwards when the team behind them obviously have no confidence in distribution or creative ideas

I was rather afraid of this sort of reaction

The usual suspects blaming England's woeful and lacklustre build up play and movement on the easiest targets; rather than looking at overhyped Gerrard, Barry Rooney etc.

I just hope that SKD doesn't become synonymous with that England performance in the eyes of the nation

FWIW I didn't actually think that SKD was "that" good - his link up play was ok, but he looked a little lost at times, which isn't unusual for substitute forwards when the team behind them obviously have no confidence in distribution or creative ideas

That happens to ALL debutants, but it doesnt stop most poeple on here roasting them the next morning. Just so happens that it was one of your own players this time.

Brilliant comment from someone below the main article!

'A debutante is a girl making her first appearance in society. You may choose to describe Kevin Davies as such, but I wouldn't advise it. If you're quick you can change it to the masculine debutant before he sees this and you get, as you so elegantly describe it, an arm in the mush.'

First class

• Site Supporter

http://www.guardian....-2012-qualifier

agree this this from that article though

Crouch's supposed great strength is actually his primary weakness. In the air he seldom punches his weight. He lacks the upper-body strength to subdue muscular centre-backs and is often knocked out of a challenge

crouch is fukcin appalling in the air!

keeper nothing to do

johnson terrible

cole did nothing

ferdinand nothing to do, did nothing not a captain

klingon nothing to do did nothing

johnson, nice touches delivered nothing

young, like barry without the good touches

barry, a million miles off good enough

gerrard, went missing, too deep

crouch see barry

rooney see crouch

skd - did nt do much better than crouch but not saying much

swp - looks like a frightned slave plays like he thinks he is in the deep south

fucking rubbsih.

crouch is fukcin appalling in the air!

He's not great, but it's only idiots who think it's his "great strength".

The whole host of fuckwits who think Davies for Crouch is a like-for-like substitution, for example.

I thought Davies did okay last night without pulling up trees. Would have been nice if they'd put the ball in the box once or twice, mind.

It was glaringly obvious that the wingers should have swapped sides instead of running down dead ends, particularly as the full backs had all but given it up as a bad job.

There's been plenty queuing up to point out what a sorry indictment of the national game SKD's selection was. If I gave a shite I'd be far more concerned that Glen Johnson appears to be about the only option we have at right back, and that Gareth Barry is nailed on for a midfield role game in, game out despite the fact he can't seem to pass the ball to his own players.

The whole host of fuckwits who think Davies for Crouch is a like-for-like substitution, for example.

I thought Davies did okay last night without pulling up trees. Would have been nice if they'd put the ball in the box once or twice, mind.

It was glaringly obvious that the wingers should have swapped sides instead of running down dead ends, particularly as the full backs had all but given it up as a bad job.

There's been plenty queuing up to point out what a sorry indictment of the national game SKD's selection was. If I gave a shite I'd be far more concerned that Glen Johnson appears to be about the only option we have at right back, and that Gareth Barry is nailed on for a midfield role game in, game out despite the fact he can't seem to pass the ball to his own players.

Couldn't agree more with that post

Was trying to illustrate the SKD for Crouch not being a like for like swap point to a couple of Utd/City supporting mates last night and gave up as they only wanted to believe what they've been spoon fed

Following on from the Guardian piece, the player ratings (given by readers) on the same sight has Johnson, Barry, Rooney and SWP as being worst on the night, which is about right.

Johnson might be ok in an attacking right midfield berth, but I cant beleive he is the best English RB. He has no positional sense at all.

Barry should never have played for England again after the Germany game.

Gerrard played far too deep to be a threat.

SWP just isnt good enough.

I think if SKD had started last night he woudl have got sent off, based on the yellow he got. So grateful that he played and did OK.

Only standouts were Gerrard and A.Johnson, but Gerrard faded after playing a few great through balls earlier in the game and was playing far too deep.

The 2 worst players were G.Johnson and G.Barry, both miss hit passes all night and just hit and hoped balls[especially Barry] back to Montenegro. Thought A.Young did alright also, went on a few good runs, Montenegro were dirty and the guy who got Davies yellow carded was cheating.

Rooney should have scored twice, Crouch should have got on the end of Gerrard's ball and done better with his header. Other than hitting the bar Montenegro almost played like a 5-4-1/6-4-0 formation and I think England deserved a narrow win but without the performance.

Davies did great, set up 2 chances and also put in a decent cross, and found A.Johnson down the wing with a nice through ball, at least he didn't do a M.Ricketts.

That A.Johnson as so much ability, he's great to watch.

Edited by DidledeeBwfc

Guest wearestoke

Shame you don't prefer your forum, too.

im banned till tonight, then ill leave this one alone cause you've got no fans :(

Guest wearestoke

in other shocking news, earth is round and pigs can't fly

i meant on this forum, it's by far the most boring one in the premier league

• Moderators

aye, the same ones who seem to surpsingly pronounce "he's good with his feet for a tall guy"

we looked a bit more positive for 5 mins when Davies first came on, he put in prob the best ball into the box all night when he got wide, the delivery from open play and set peices was generally woeful all night

he also showed Rooney how to flick a ball on moments after Rooney attempted and headed it straight in the air

but he'll no doubt now be the easy scape goat because the mighty England didn't beat a team who haven't conceeded a goal yet in qualifying

Wank last night, though. No end product whatsover.

Same goes for Ashley Young.

Delivery from dead balls was abysmal, too, with Young and Gerrard the worst offenders.

Did Capello even try putting the left footed player on the left and the right footed on the right? Surely that's the obvious change to make, swing the ball in the box from the by-line and score some good old fashioned headers.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.