Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Nat Lofthouse OBE - RIP

The name Nat Lofthouse is known the world over. I've travelled quite extensively and when people ask where I come from and I tell them I'm a Boltonian, invariably Nat's name is mentioned in the reply.

Nat Lofthouse is/was and will always be the personification of the town. A proper man's man: hard, but fair with plenty of time for Joe Public, because he never thought himself better than us. Modern footballers could do with reading about Nat and learning how to conduct themselves.

Rest In Peace, Big Fella: you certainly deserve it.

PS There'll be a few ex-defenders up there in heaven, not resting so peacefully now Nat's amongst them again.

Guest Rob_bwfc

Too young to have seen him play... but old enough to appreciate what he has done for the club and indeed the town, both in his playing days and after!

God bless and rest in peace Sir.

Thankyou

Guest Nookrover

Another Rovers fan here.

Never knew too much about Mr. Lofthouse until i went to a game some years back at Burnden and the 'lion of Vienna' song was playing. I asked my Dad what the song was about and his eyes lit up 'the lion of Vienna lad' he said 'Nat Lofthouse, what a bloody player he was!'

RIP Mr Lofthouse, we seem to be loosing a generation of 'real' footballers.

Guest jdurkin74

RIP Nat - Bolton has lost one of it's greatest sons, a huge loss to the town as well as the football club. A true legend and gentleman.

Thoughts go out to to all the Lofthouse family x x x

My wife is dmb and she wanted to call our daughter talia but i insisted on Natalie. She turned round today and said you did that for a reason didnt you 12 years i just got found out but i have still got my little NAT and she is a white. RIP big man

I had the honour of meeting Mr Lofthouse on a few occasions and he actually thanked ME for coming to his celebratory dinner.

If he had nothing to do with Bolton Wanderers, ever , he still would have been one of the finest gentlemen I ever met.

I never once heard him swear or have a negative comment to say about anybody, football or otherwise.

My selfish grief is because I will never see him again.

I miss you Nat....my life is poorer because you are not with us today.

God bless you Nathaniel lofthouse.

Gutted when I heard the news. True gentlemen, great player and a proud Boltonian.

Put these modern day pre-madonnas to shame.

Would love to see our club badge redesigned to incorporate a lion as a mark of respect.

• Members

Been away from net connection for most of the weekend but heard the sad news on a national news programme down here where Nat was referred to as 'a footballing legend'.

When I was a nipper, me grandad, grandma and parents would go misty eyed talking about the great man and recounting various tales of selfless bravery both on the field and off it. Consequently, the mere mention of his name made my ears prick up and the pride come out for the greatest ever son of Bolton.

Sure, others have made giant strides in other fields such as textile industry machinery and the like but none have ever or will ever have the undying admiration of Boltons people like the great man did. He put us on the map.

Always the perfect gent, I had the pleasure of meeting him a few times in his time in Bromley Cross and when landlord of The Castle etc. He even managed to organise a guided tour of Burnden for an Australian I was travelling to the US with (which also included a bite to eat in the Supporters Club).

Other than RIP, it is hard to know what to say other than we all feel like we have lost a family member or a great leader of our nation or similar.

RIP Nat, you will never be forgotten and your legend is known worldwide.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.