Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

You Tube Bolton Stuff

superjohnmcginlay

I liked the anecdote about the not very commercially minded, commercial manager.

Peter Reid was still playing for us when he took over, before we gave him away to Everton for £60K. I'd be interested to see what the team line-up was for his first match in charge away at Burnley and what we were left with by the final game of that season.

I liked the anecdote about the not very commercially minded, commercial manager.

Peter Reid was still playing for us when he took over, before we gave him away to Everton for £60K. I'd be interested to see what the team line-up was for his first match in charge away at Burnley and what we were left with by the final game of that season.

I can't remember the ins & outs, but I don't think we had much choice but to "give him away " after Reid had refused to go to some lot who had offered us more money.

Jim McDonagh, Steve Whitworth, Mike Doyle, Jeff Chandler, Ian Moores and David Hoggan remained from the first day of 82/3 at Burnley when it came around to the final game at Charlton. We'd lost Peter Reid, Tony Henry and Chris Thompson as well as Paul Jones to injury.

The remarkable thing about that season was that with two games remaining virtually half of the league was still not mathematically safe.

I can't remember the ins & outs, but I don't think we had much choice but to "give him away " after Reid had refused to go to some lot who had offered us more money.

That was a couple of seasons earlier, before he was injured.

Everton did us a favour in selling us Brian Borrows for only £5k but McGovern does us a story about us nearly not being able to get the money together.

Today's situation has stark similarities to 82 with just a little bit of investment back then we'd have had a good chance of getting promoted to lose Henry, Reffearn and Peter Reid was a body blow and one we don't recover from for over 10 years. It seems sadly we're back in that similar scenario.

Today's situation has stark similarities to 82 with just a little bit of investment back then we'd have had a good chance of getting promoted to lose Henry, Reffearn and Peter Reid was a body blow and one we don't recover from for over 10 years. It seems sadly we're back in that similar scenario.

2 real quality players there.

At that time we had average crowds of 7,000 with a break even figure of 17,000 so the board had no option.

Today's situation has stark similarities to 82

It's nothing like it was back then. We owed money to the banks rather than a benefactor and they weren't interested in bailing us out. Not to mention that crowds were about half what they are now and there was no real TV income. We also had a stadium that was barely fit for purpose and no training facilities to speak of. 

It's nothing like it was back then. We owed money to the banks rather than a benefactor and they weren't interested in bailing us out. Not to mention that crowds were about half what they are now and there was no real TV income. We also had a stadium that was barely fit for purpose and no training facilities to speak of. 

Other than that it is.

If anything it's worse now, check out the income received with what were spending on players wages add in another 8 million drop in income tweet season, the debt I agree shouldn't be an issue and the stadium and training ground now are brilliant but the imbalance in revenue received to overheads has never been bigger.

Edited by Mounts Kipper

If anything it's worse now

No it isn't. We didn't have a pot to piss in back then and there was no prospect of ever having one either. No one in their right mind would have invested a penny into the club. Selling half the Embankment End and launching Burnden Lifeline effectively saved the club.

No it isn't. We didn't have a pot to piss in back then and there was no prospect of ever having one either. No one in their right mind would have invested a penny into the club. Selling half the Embankment End and launching Burnden Lifeline effectively saved the club.

I give up.

• 3 weeks later...