Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

You Tube Bolton Stuff

superjohnmcginlay

I was 15 too, what a wonderful few years growing up as a White.

Me too.

Main memory is the scenes back in the town centre with spontaneous celebrations on the town hall steps. Never seen any pics or footage of that (note - not the celebratory parade they did a few days later). Someone has pics of it as I remember seeing people (staff I assume) on the roof of WHSmiths taking photos.

I also remember the one Fulham coach of supporters wending its way through the crowd at the end, only for summat to be said or gestured and Bolton fans ripping open the emergency exit door and kicking off. Seemed a bit OTT in the circumstances :-D

• 3 weeks later...

1 hr 41 mins...

Arsenal 2-2 at Highbury.......Pedersen of all folk equalising.

Watched that with a house full of Wanderers fans. We'd not long had a rescue dog from Leigh cats and dogs home and the poor thing froze in terror when we all leapt up at Henriks equaliser!

Makes me realise how spoilt I'd become. I was chuffed with the result that day but it was no big deal

• 11 months later...
  • Site Supporter

This came up on You Tube as a suggested watch. I have no idea why or if it's been posted before.

Couple of points:

Football starts around 2.50

They edit out the Bolton team line-up for some reason

Greg Strong, don't let it bounce

How can a ref, from around 6 feet away, declare a goal and then decide it wasn't?

• Site Supporter
19 minutes ago, Underpants said:

Was in the Burnley bit of that terrace that night. 2 of us with a Burnley fan from work. No matter how much you try not to give yourself away, you will do something that will get the locals attention.

Aye, they'll see that you have the right number of fingers & thumbs...

A one off video was taken of the first game of the 1985/6 season at Burnden Park. It was done as it marked 90 years of playing at Burnden Park. It was a 1-1 draw at home to Rotherham. Tony Caldwell scored for Bolton in the first half with Rotherham equalising deep in to the second. This was the last season of an intact Embankment. The sound is really poor but Simon Marland is the commentator. Roadrunner did the filming but when filming of every game behind in the New Year of 1986 another firm did the video. Roadrunner didn't take over full time until half way through the 4th division season of 1987/8. David Cross, Dave Sutton and Asa Hartford made their debuts in this game.

A very important goal in Ian Greaves's promotion season of 1977/78. As anybody who is old enough will remember, Tottenham had one season in Division 2 that year and bounced back to the top flight at the first attempt. We finished champions though - and we beat them twice at Burnden in league and FA Cup. This is the goal from the 1-0 league win - a 90th minute winner by Roy Greaves in front of more than 32,000 at Burnden. I actually remember seeing this goal as a child at the time - the Manny Road North stand being the perfect vantage point to see it.

Edited by paulhanley

• Site Supporter
7 hours ago, paulhanley said:

A very important goal in Ian Greaves's promotion season of 1977/78. As anybody who is old enough will remember, Tottenham had one season in Division 2 that year and bounced back to the top flight at the first attempt. We finished champions though - and we beat them twice at Burnden in league and FA Cup. This is the goal from the 1-0 league win - a 90th minute winner by Roy Greaves in front of more than 32,000 at Burnden. I actually remember seeing this goal as a child at the time - the Manny Road North stand being the perfect vantage point to see it.

Their lot piled into the Burnden paddock at the end & got their arses handed to them by the exiting Bolton fans. You just can't get the same buzz at football these days like you got at big night games at Burnden. Can still remember going wild when that went in 😊

10 hours ago, RONNIE PHILLIPS said:

Their lot piled into the Burnden paddock at the end & got their arses handed to them by the exiting Bolton fans. You just can't get the same buzz at football these days like you got at big night games at Burnden. Can still remember going wild when that went in 😊

I think that was a Saturday afternoon but with it being in November most of the second half was under the floodlights. Certainly when we played them in the FA Cup that year it was a night match - it was a replay after a 2-2 at White Hart Lane.

I don't remember them getting in to the Paddock. What happened? Did they get over the fence from the Embankment or come over the pitch?