Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

You Tube Bolton Stuff

superjohnmcginlay

4 minutes ago, Naytch said:

Only being born in 87 I am loving these videos of us in the 80s, great to see clips of players I’ve heard but never really seen much of. Thank you for posting

No worries. Only born in 87. Just in time for the upturn in fortunes!

Back to 1985/6 with this post. March 1986: Lincoln 1 Bolton 1 at Sincil Bank. Phil Neal was in his fourth month in charge and scored a screamer ... but was then jointly to blame with Dave Felgate for the equaliser. Seems to be a decent Wanderers following for a night match and we're playing in the sky blue third kit! 

2 minutes ago, BoltonBoy80 said:

Brilliant again paul!

A joy to see these clips finally unearthed

No worries, I'm enjoying posting them for the very people who'll appreciate them. I'll do another tomorrow if I can and then get back on the case next week.

7 minutes ago, gonzo said:

Bet there weren’t many women and kids in amongst that away end.

Dont think I’ve ever seen even a picture of us in that kit either. 

Fantastic stuff.

It's striking just how solid our away followings were at a low point in our history and even for night matches at distance. Cheaper petrol, £1 a pint. Happier times!

57 minutes ago, paulhanley said:

It's striking just how solid our away followings were at a low point in our history and even for night matches at distance. Cheaper petrol, £1 a pint. Happier times!

Keep posting the vids pal. I'm hoping it'll galvanise us into taking similar followings everywhere next season!

4 hours ago, paulhanley said:

Back to 1985/6 with this post. March 1986: Lincoln 1 Bolton 1 at Sincil Bank. Phil Neal was in his fourth month in charge and scored a screamer ... but was then jointly to blame with Dave Felgate for the equaliser. Seems to be a decent Wanderers following for a night match and we're playing in the sky blue third kit! 

Back then when someone scored it was a quick congrats and then back to their own half ASAP. None of this pissing about running to the corner flag then a slow march back up the pitch like it is today. It really gets on my tits does that.

8 hours ago, Underpants said:

Back then when someone scored it was a quick congrats and then back to their own half ASAP. None of this pissing about running to the corner flag then a slow march back up the pitch like it is today. It really gets on my tits does that.

Half time lasted 10 minutes, games over with before 4:45pm on a Saturday and back to the car in time for James Alexander Gordon reading out the results. A lot less palaver and ego involved.

11 hours ago, paulhanley said:

No worries, I'm enjoying posting them for the very people who'll appreciate them. I'll do another tomorrow if I can and then get back on the case next week.

Very much appreciated. Thought my chances of seeing these videos had gone. I’ve been searching for along time. The support for the club is incredible, especially away. Always a solid band of merry men following us anywhere and everywhere.

Great work 

47 minutes ago, paulhanley said:

Half time lasted 10 minutes, games over with before 4:45pm on a Saturday and back to the car in time for James Alexander Gordon reading out the results. A lot less palaver and ego involved.

Paul, have you got the game against Preston at home, not sure of the year but it was the one we're Robbie savage broke his leg. We were 1-0 down and scored 2 goals in the last few minutes to win 2-1. Remember being sat in the burnden stand a small group of Preston fans jumped up when they scored, one of the bolton lads walked down whispered into their ear and they got up and walked out. Loved to have known what he said but they looked terrified. 

9 hours ago, darrener said:

Paul, have you got the game against Preston at home, not sure of the year but it was the one we're Robbie savage broke his leg. We were 1-0 down and scored 2 goals in the last few minutes to win 2-1. Remember being sat in the burnden stand a small group of Preston fans jumped up when they scored, one of the bolton lads walked down whispered into their ear and they got up and walked out. Loved to have known what he said but they looked terrified. 

Ooh good shout. We were on a terrible run at that time and in danger of falling out of the play offs. We must have equalised in the 90th and won it in the 93rd! Jules get one of them? 

10 hours ago, BoltonBoy80 said:

Very much appreciated. Thought my chances of seeing these videos had gone. I’ve been searching for along time. The support for the club is incredible, especially away. Always a solid band of merry men following us anywhere and everywhere.

Great work 

No worries at all! They need to be shared.

9 hours ago, darrener said:

I do have that game, yes. It's not part of the batch from 86-88 that I got as the original tapes. It's a Roadrunner DVD ... I think that one was in 89/90? From 88/89 onwards I just have a scattering of games from Roadrunner. From the second half of 85/6, 86/7 and 87/8 I probably have about 70 per cent of the games. There are some from that era I've never come across - like beating Cardiff 1-0 at home in our second game in Div 4. Some were never filmed.

I do have two games from 84/5, both Wigan games. My first ever You Tube posting was the goal from the 1-0 home win. Pretty poor standard. Now I've got slightly (!) better at video editing I might have a crack at doing that one again at some point.

Back to 1987/88 and Division 4. A gloomy November Saturday afternoon and Bolton on the fringes of the automatic promotion places. Cambridge United are the visitors to Burnden with a then unknown keeper in goal by the name of Keith Branagan. A see-saw encounter ended 2-2 and Dave Higson doesn't hide his disappointment at full-time. I probably won't be able to post a vid again this week but there'll be more next. 

Edited by paulhanley

On 14/05/2019 at 19:33, paulhanley said:

Paul, don't suppose you have any highlights of us playing Leyton Orient away back in 88? The year we got promoted from division 4.

https://www.11v11.com/matches/leyton-orient-v-bolton-wanderers-02-april-1988-50205/

Edited by Blondi

• Site Supporter
52 minutes ago, Blondi said:

Paul, don't suppose you have any highlights of us playing Leyton Orient away back in 88? The year we got promoted from division 4.

https://www.11v11.com/matches/leyton-orient-v-bolton-wanderers-02-april-1988-50205/

I’ve got the full match on video - a bit cheaper when you got 2, Wrexham being the other.

Unfortunately, no video player. I really need to get them put on dvd but no idea where does them

Just now, Biggish Dave said:

I’ve got the full match on video - a bit cheaper when you got 2, Wrexham being the other.

Unfortunately, no video player. I really need to get them put on dvd but no idea where does them

I just remember it being a key match, think Orient were pushing for promotion too. The video I had, was the one that showed all of our goals for the season, I think I know someone that can transfer a video to DVD.  If you are interested, just send me a message.

Just now, Blondi said:

I just remember it being a key match, think Orient were pushing for promotion too. The video I had, was the one that showed all of our goals for the season, I think I know someone that can transfer a video to DVD.  If you are interested, just send me a message.

I only have the Bolton goals from that game and the quality is utterly shocking - as if it was played in a snowstorm! I hope Biggish Dave can help out with that game!

• Site Supporter
5 minutes ago, paulhanley said:

I only have the Bolton goals from that game and the quality is utterly shocking - as if it was played in a snowstorm! I hope Biggish Dave can help out with that game!

I’d love to help. Message sent to Blondi