Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

You Tube Bolton Stuff

superjohnmcginlay

On 26/11/2019 at 09:05, Mounts Kipper said:

Wow! didn’t realise Chandler was at Blackpool that era , How good was Reid before his injury, was great player after it but lost that extra gear. 

I was impressed by that whole team. The surfaces in those days were poor compared to now. Yet the ball is on the deck and being manouvered around nimbly and at pace. Paul Jones at right back in that game too, showing what a good footballer he was. The double over Blackpool that year. I'd love to see footage of the 0-2 win at Bloomfield when half of the 25,000 gate was Bolton fans.

Yes, Chandler was very young in this clip. He went from Blackpool to Leeds and then on to us. Yet was born in Hammersmith!

• 4 weeks later...
  • Site Supporter
3 hours ago, Mounts Kipper said:

Apologies if posted previously. 

Bloody amazing that back when pitches were more liike a ploughed field, the ball barely left the deck. Now that they're like a billiard table, it's never on the deck.

Edited by MickyD

• Site Supporter
35 minutes ago, Underpants said:

Love seeing us from the times when we were on tv so infrequently. Especially away from home. Don't know if it was the case or not but it seemed more of an effort back then travelling away.

I used to go all over the country as a 16 to 20 year old mostly due to my employment at British Rail Engineering at Horwich. 

Free travel passes meant nowhere was unaffordable.

The problem then, late 70s to early 80s was that even going and minding your own business was fraught with danger of getting a kicking. 

2 hours ago, MickyD said:

I used to go all over the country as a 16 to 20 year old mostly due to my employment at British Rail Engineering at Horwich. 

The problem then, late 70s to early 80s was that even going and minding your own business was fraught with danger of getting a kicking. 

Aye, going to an away game could be a dangerous pastime in those days.

Wrong place,wrong time an' all that.

• Site Supporter
3 hours ago, MickyD said:

17 minutes ago, Burndens Bogs said:

Ah, practising how to say the time in cockney, brummie etc...

Used to dread being asked the time in them days 😉

10 minutes ago, Steejay said:

Ah, practising how to say the time in cockney, brummie etc...

Used to dread being asked the time in them days 😉

The thing i hated (and it happened on numerous occasions) was when 4 of you got out of the car a mile or so from the away ground, then walking down the street you turn a corner and there was a little mob of 10 or 15 home lads walking straight towards you. 

Edited by Burndens Bogs

• Moderators
11 minutes ago, Burndens Bogs said:

The thing i hated (and it happened on numerous occasions) was when 4 of you got out of the car a mile or so from the away ground, then walking down the street you turn a corner and there was a little mob of 10 or 15 home lads walking straight towards you. 

That happened to me at Burnley in 2000

Except the lads were Bolton

And thought we were Burnley

24 minutes ago, ZicoKelly said:

I got a hiding at Burnley around 93/94 I think it must have been. 

minding my own business with the guy who i had gone to game with just walking from car and 4 Burnley turned up and decided it would be fun To kick off. Cunt who I was with legged it I wasn’t so fortunate. Never ever forgave him for that

always been a cunt of a place 

1 hour ago, Burndens Bogs said:

Bang on 

That Barnsley FA Cup game about 86/87 that due to the levels of violence made the national press. Parked quietly on a terraced street. As we got back to my car the old crone in one of the houses came out and pointed at us saying “they’re Bolton”. None of us had gone there up for it. Fucking mayhem

Huddersfield away at Leeds Road. Not sure what year but after 86 and pre-90. Trevor Morgan toe bunger and we won 1-0. Fucking pissed it down all night and we were on that open terrace. Coppers locked the gates at the end of the game. Enough time for the Huddersfield mob to get round to the away end and wait for us to be let out. Carnage. Those up for it, fair play, crack on, but getting bricked from a nearby demolition site wasn’t what I’d wanted from the game. 

Looking back you have to wonder sometimes why so many people who weren’t up for it bothered. If the home fans didn’t have you the coppers were well up to have a crack at you, any ground in South Yorkshire being a perfect example in the late ‘80s

1 hour ago, Escobarp said:

I got a hiding at Burnley around 93/94 I think it must have been. 

minding my own business with the guy who i had gone to game with just walking from car and 4 Burnley turned up and decided it would be fun To kick off. Cunt who I was with legged it I wasn’t so fortunate. Never ever forgave him for that

always been a cunt of a place 

I seem to remember seeing one of those Danny Dyer type footy hooligan programmes featuring some of Burnleys lads and they said that they knew the streets likely to have away fans who had parked there  , they looked at tax discs and registration plates for clues to the town of the away team playing, then chose their outnumbered victims accordingly - knocking 7 bells out of them as they returned to their cars.

It's happened to one or 2 lads i know and it's gone on for years, dunno if it still does.

I remember that Huddersfield night match when Morgan scored.  About 3k from Bolton, the whole thing was enjoyable and intimidating in equal measure.  That terrace they had down the side was huge, scary and impressive, an amazing site if even half full.  Getting back to the car in those days felt like a major achievement.  If we won I could never enjoy it till I was back in the car, often with a sweat on, with the other 3 or 4 lads arriving in 1s and 2s because we purposely didnt stay together so as not to give away who we were.  Tranmere, Burnley, Rotherham, Huddersfield, Blackpool, Bradford, Preston always felt like a great achievement to get out of town without incident.  It felt normal in those days but I just wouldnt bother going away if it was like that now.

• Moderators
1 hour ago, MancWanderer said:

Bang on 

That Barnsley FA Cup game about 86/87 that due to the levels of violence made the national press. Parked quietly on a terraced street. As we got back to my car the old crone in one of the houses came out and pointed at us saying “they’re Bolton”. None of us had gone there up for it. Fucking mayhem

Huddersfield away at Leeds Road. Not sure what year but after 86 and pre-90. Trevor Morgan toe bunger and we won 1-0. Fucking pissed it down all night and we were on that open terrace. Coppers locked the gates at the end of the game. Enough time for the Huddersfield mob to get round to the away end and wait for us to be let out. Carnage. Those up for it, fair play, crack on, but getting bricked from a nearby demolition site wasn’t what I’d wanted from the game. 

Looking back you have to wonder sometimes why so many people who weren’t up for it bothered. If the home fans didn’t have you the coppers were well up to have a crack at you, any ground in South Yorkshire being a perfect example in the late ‘80s

I think this is why my dad, who went in the 50s and 60s, would only take me to see Horwich RMI in the 80s

That and there was a clubhouse serving ale throughout the game

4 hours ago, ZicoKelly said:

Preston mid to late 80s end of season match. AHM were in the County Arms near the prison. Unfortunately for us, and PNE, was some of Boltons top hoolies. Got kicked out of the pub by the landlord when PNE invited us all out to dance. Boltons frontline couldn't wait to get out, we sort of followed and chased Preston up the street. Suddenly we found ourselves outnumbered and chased back to the now locked pub only to be met by a couple of hundred lads coming around the corner straight at us. Surrounded we thought it was curtains, then we realised they were Bolton. Was like the cavalry turning up to save the day.

• Site Supporter
48 minutes ago, Underpants said:

Preston mid to late 80s end of season match. AHM were in the County Arms near the prison. Unfortunately for us, and PNE, was some of Boltons top hoolies. Got kicked out of the pub by the landlord when PNE invited us all out to dance. Boltons frontline couldn't wait to get out, we sort of followed and chased Preston up the street. Suddenly we found ourselves outnumbered and chased back to the now locked pub only to be met by a couple of hundred lads coming around the corner straight at us. Surrounded we thought it was curtains, then we realised they were Bolton. Was like the cavalry turning up to save the day.

Similar happened to us at Ipswich. Six of us had gone down in an old Renault. parked up and walked to ground. There was a massive mob walking towards us and our thug, the driver, was saying, "Stand your ground, no runners!" 
Fucking hell, there were hundreds of them and six of us.
Turned out they were Bolton. Never been so relieved in my life.

After the game we drove home and stopped at a nice country pub in Market Harborough where we happened to bump into some unfriendly Leicester City fans who, it seems, didn't want us playing on their pool table.

• Site Supporter
20 hours ago, MancWanderer said:

Bang on 

Bit of an education for me that Barnsley game as a relative youngster.

Went on a bus from a boozer up Deane/Daubhill iirc. Folk in there supping at 9.00am. How do you manage that?

Plain clothes police coming into the boozer beforehand then uniform with a warning to behave. Everyone did just that in the pub, landlady welcoming and a mutual respect somehow.

Then the game, miners and mayhem.