Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

You Tube Bolton Stuff

superjohnmcginlay

1 hour ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Bit of an education for me that Barnsley game as a relative youngster.

Went on a bus from a boozer up Deane/Daubhill iirc. Folk in there supping at 9.00am. How do you manage that?

Plain clothes police coming into the boozer beforehand then uniform with a warning to behave. Everyone did just that in the pub, landlady welcoming and a mutual respect somehow.

Then the game, miners and mayhem.

Fuck me, I organised that coach trip mate, small world.

Very tasty day indeed.....let's just say the landlord of the former Stag's Head was a good mate of mine 😏😇

The Corner Pin boozer in Baaaaaarnlsey wasn't so pretty when we left 😏😂

Burnley away mid 90's.

Four of us in a car just parked up minding our own business.......A couple of scruffy local herberts went past us giving us the V's and wankers sign. They pulled up just further down the road.....we thought fuck it, they're having it. Not being bullies though, just one of ours went down and challenged the pair of them.

Their driver did one pronto leaving the other mouthy scruffy smackhead to take a kicking. Later found out our mate had actually chinned a Bolton fan, only knew that when we saw him crying in the ground.

• Site Supporter
8 minutes ago, miamiwhite said:

Fuck me, I organised that coach trip mate, small world.

Very tasty day indeed.....let's just say the landlord of the former Stag's Head was a good mate of mine 😏😇

The Corner Pin boozer in Baaaaaarnlsey wasn't so pretty when we left 😏😂

My mate's uncle used to do a bit of door work. Iirc, he got us on it.

Never seen anyone having mild for breakfast.

70's was before my time and era of the football specials etc.

Mid 80's onwards was my era, cheap trains  thanks to the washing powder deals,  plus 30 lads in a hired tranny van.

We mostly used Majestic Van Hire, but the number of vans travelling to away games from around Bolton was amazing.

Mention tranny vans these days and the other PC cunts are straight on your back 😂

2 hours ago, miamiwhite said:

70's was before my time and era of the football specials etc.

Mid 80's onwards was my era, cheap trains  thanks to the washing powder deals,  plus 30 lads in a hired tranny van.

We mostly used Majestic Van Hire, but the number of vans travelling to away games from around Bolton was amazing.

Mention tranny vans these days and the other PC cunts are straight on your back 😂

I was involved in the late 70's & Burnley fans were hopeless. I went on :lol:'s infamous double decker ( i think that was the day, :lol: was arrested for biting a police horse - he swore it stood on his foot :) )& twice with Barney's mob - one a night match when we turned up early  - & Burnley would never come near Bolton's lads, even being chased off their own bus station after one game.

Years later they claimed an off field victory in the cup game by attacking soft targets but avoiding anyone who could fight back  - i've described it before, that they attacked a pub with Carl G's crowd in it & had second thoughts when they saw the opposition & bashed their van up instead. The next week, we played there in the league when Bolton's support was nearly all lads & Burnley were nowhere to be seen before or after.  Happy days.

2 hours ago, bolton va va said:

I was involved in the late 70's & Burnley fans were hopeless. I went on ::lol::'s infamous double decker ( i think that was the day, :lol: was arrested for biting a police horse - he swore it stood on his foot :) )& twice with Barney's mob - one a night match when we turned up early  - & Burnley would never come near Bolton's lads, even being chased off their own bus station after one game.

Years later they claimed an off field victory in the cup game by attacking soft targets but avoiding anyone who could fight back  - i've described it before, that they attacked a pub with Carl G's crowd in it & had second thoughts when they saw the opposition & bashed their van up instead. The next week, we played there in the league when Bolton's support was nearly all lads & Burnley were nowhere to be seen before or after.  Happy days.

I was in that pub with Carl and Co. We'd gone in  a van from The Duke on Deane Road.

Remember it well, they came in, had a look round, did fuck all and went outside , then trashed the van outside the wankers.

Like you say re the week after, Burnley were nowhere to be seen. They knew we'd be back in pure numbers.

5 hours ago, miamiwhite said:

We mostly used Majestic Van Hire, but the number of vans travelling to away games from around Bolton was amazing

Sure that I put it on here previously 

Cov away FA Cup game in the 80s. Me and my mate jumped in my car. No sat nav in those days, no map in the car. How hard can it be to find a football ground? Piece of piss. Head to Cov and find a hire van with an 0204 number on the side and follow it when we got off the motorway

Luton van with a roll up door at the back. About 20 lads rolled out the back when they parked up on a side street with cans and bottles everywhere and we parked behind them. They piled out thinking we were Cov ready to do us. Lad called Nick recognised me thankfully 

The Bolton “Hoolivans” were well known back in the day 

• 1 month later...
29 minutes ago, Mounts Kipper said:

Was fantastic atmosphere, think that season got me hooked big time. What a goal from MacDonald. The leeds game 1000s got locked out sadly I was one. 

Leeds had never been so gridlocked that night, luckily our coach got to Elland Rd just in time for KO.

41 minutes ago, Mounts Kipper said:

Was fantastic atmosphere, think that season got me hooked big time. What a goal from MacDonald. The leeds game 1000s got locked out sadly I was one. 

I remember kids getting permission to finish early because their dad's were taking them to Elland Rd. Unfortunately I wasn't one of them.

That 3-3 was my first FA Cup match. Remember being dead excited knowing we were playing Newcastle and that we were on tele, and seeing the big rigs in the carpark got me even more excited.

Watching that coverage again brings back feelings and senses from that period.

• Site Supporter

Pretty sure I've told this story before but I bunked off the last period of school & got a Ribble coach from Moor Lane (I was 13). Got to the ground about 7.45 just as they were closing the last turnstile on our side of the kop. Me & some bloke off our coach legged it to the next turnstile down & got in just before they closed it, so I watched the match in the middle of the Geordie hoardes. 

When I came out after the match I discovered my coach had fucked off back to Bolton without me. There were quite a few people thumbing lifts as I stood there shitting myself 😊. Luckily a bloke with his 9yr old lad spotted my obvious distress as he passed in his car & gave me a lift home. 

As an added bonus my school uniform was on the coach so I got 2 days off until it was retrieved & no-one sussed I'd bunked off either. 

Gutted this passed me by, I remember it on the radio but I only went to a couple of games that season.  Its literally a one off; you could have watched Bolton for the last 100 years and there would be nothing to compare to the experience of going to the Burnden and Leeds games.  Part of BWFC folklore and makes us what we are.  A sobering thought that we took about 15000 to Leeds or whatever and by September 81 (4.5 years later) we played the same Geordies in front of 6,429 at Burnden.  Loyalty just wasnt a thing in them days.  We hadn't had 10 years of decline like now, we'd had a couple of bad years, and lost about 15,000 fans, compare that to the very gradual loss of fans in this terrible era.  If we played them now they'd bring 6k on their own...different times the early 80s.