Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

You Tube Bolton Stuff

superjohnmcginlay

7 hours ago, bolty58 said:

I am sure there are a few on here remember. My personal memories started at a local pub. Bolton everywhere as you might imagine with only two games to go until we received the championship trophy. Playing pool and this fucking nutjob bursts in with a red & white hooped bob hat (without the bob) pulled down over his face with two rough cut eye holes in it and shouts "City!!!!!! Come on you Bolton bastards". He lasted about 7 seconds.

Got to the stadium and the vast majority of us were along one side with their 'end' to our left. Bricks, bottles, darts - you name it - raining in both directions for prolonged periods throughout the match. Some Bolton got in their end and it kicked off. Think the Bolton lads ended up being carted out by the police. Later some Stokies led by what looked like a very large West Indian lad came up the steps into their end and it was on again. Police sorted that one out via the same method. Went on most of the day and coaches were bricked after the match.

As far as the match was concerned, I remember it mostly for a magical JB double. What a man he was. Still probably my favourite all time player.

My summation of that day

Big following from Bolton in party mood.

Nasty atmosphere from ko.They needed to win to have any chance of promotion 

Our team didn’t seem that motivated initially as we were already up

They were mainly kicking us off the park.Our lot (fans as well) started to respond 

We were two nil down by this time & Nicho pulled a goal back (sorry Bolty)

They were wasting time & the ballboys weren’t even throwing the ball back

The ref added what seemed loads of injury time & JB stuck one in the top corner

Final whistle went ,we were on the pitch .The ref was poleaxed by two big units.

They looked like navvies in donkey jackets .Obviously not ours

Afterwards we had to fight our way through the subway & my mate got hit with a snooker ball

All in all memorable day out 

Edited by Take Hunt Off

36 minutes ago, Take Hunt Off said:

My summation of that day

Big following from Bolton in party mood.

Nasty atmosphere from ko.They needed to win to have any chance of promotion 

Our team didn’t seem that motivated initially as we were already up

They were mainly kicking us off the park.Our lot (fans as well) started to respond 

We were two nil down by this time & Nicho pulled a goal back (sorry Bolty)

They were wasting time & the ballboys weren’t even throwing the ball back

The ref added what seemed loads of injury time & JB stuck one in the top corner

Final whistle went ,we were on the pitch .The ref was poleaxed by two big units.

They looked like navvies in donkey jackets .Obviously not ours

Afterwards we had to fight our way through the subway & my mate got hit with a snooker ball

All in all memorable day out 

And port vale still the same nearly 50 years on ....top away venue love it down there when we rock into town. 

Edited by Mounts Kipper

• Site Supporter
20 minutes ago, bolty58 said:

Cheers Take Hunt Off. I was sure it was a JB double but I would have been under the affluence a little bit as you might imagine.

Thanks for straightening that out for me.

I'm with you there, always thought JB got both... I was only 10 though 😊

Another memory of a Lancashire derby win to try to boost the spirits on these empty Saturday afternoons. 

Right back to 1976/7 - the second of Ian Greaves's "promotion near miss" seasons. It's a 3-1 home win over Blackburn with Neil Whatmore (2) and Peter Reid on the scoresheet. They'd beaten us 3-1 at Ewood on the first day of the season with Bolton fans causing trouble all over the ground. 

Lots of views of a very well populated all-standing Lever End two or three years before the green seats appeared. 

12 minutes ago, paulhanley said:

Another memory of a Lancashire derby win to try to boost the spirits on these empty Saturday afternoons. 

Right back to 1976/7 - the second of Ian Greaves's "promotion near miss" seasons. It's a 3-1 home win over Blackburn with Neil Whatmore (2) and Peter Reid on the scoresheet. They'd beaten us 3-1 at Ewood on the first day of the season with Bolton fans causing trouble all over the ground. 

Lots of views of a very well populated all-standing Lever End two or three years before the green seats appeared. 

Love that simple Bolton, Bolton, Bolton, chant all 4 parts of ground joining in you don’t hear that chant these days sadly.  

4 hours ago, bolty58 said:

Cheers Take Hunt Off. I was sure it was a JB double but I would have been under the affluence a little bit as you might imagine.

Thanks for straightening that out for me.

No problemo Bolty .I only sobered up that day when we got nailed in the subway.But being a bit of a statto I remembered Nicho & JB got the goals in same sequence in our last two games that season , sad bastard that I am.

19 minutes ago, paulhanley said:

Thanks Paul

20 minutes ago, paulhanley said:

Brill that, can't remember the game for the life of me .....maybe I was'nt there 😨

42 minutes ago, Mounts Kipper said:

Love that simple Bolton, Bolton, Bolton, chant all 4 parts of ground joining in you don’t hear that chant these days sadly.  

And used to get the same with "oh when the whites go marching in" with people stamping their feet in the wooden Burnden and Manny Road stands. Another song you never hear these days.

• Site Supporter

1 hour ago, paulhanley said:

And used to get the same with "oh when the whites go marching in" with people stamping their feet in the wooden Burnden and Manny Road stands. Another song you never hear these days.

You hear it occasionally but it is soon turned into a call and return chant rather than a son

Oh when the whites (Oh when the whites)
Go marchin' in (Go marchin' in)
Oh when the whites go marchin' in...

I used to love night games with the floodlights reflecting from the Lever End roof, smoke rising into the light from under the roofs and every corner of the ground singing slowly in unison. I found it very cathedral-like because it was a song I'd previously only ever sung at church and in school assemblies.

29 minutes ago, MickyD said:

You hear it occasionally but it is soon turned into a call and return chant rather than a son

Oh when the whites (Oh when the whites)
Go marchin' in (Go marchin' in)
Oh when the whites go marchin' in...

I used to love night games with the floodlights reflecting from the Lever End roof, smoke rising into the light from under the roofs and every corner of the ground singing slowly in unison. I found it very cathedral-like because it was a song I'd previously only ever sung at church and in school assemblies.

I was taken to the match from the mid-70s onwards but the first season I really remember is 77/8. Just five years later the whole culture seemed to have changed. You didn't get that plain "Bolton (clap, clap, clap), Bolton"  chant any more and the "Oh when the whites song" had turned in to what you describe. The conclusion from that is that the 70s were more innocent days yet we know that if anything at Bolton they were worse in terms of the trouble, just because of the numbers! 

You're right about night games - although the Winter Saturdays could be as good with finishes in the dark. A narrow lead going in to injury time - people congregating near the big exit between the Lever End and the Burnden Paddock (leading on to Croft Lane) and whistles descending from all four sides beseeching the ref to blow his fucking whistle! Then buy a copy of the Buff and back to the motor for Sports Report on Radio 2 with the results read by James Alexander Gordon (or if you were a bit older - the Sweet Green or the Cattle Market).

• Site Supporter
3 hours ago, paulhanley said:

Had a police horse stood on my foot before the game at their place, bit of a painful day that was 😁

Just now, RONNIE PHILLIPS said:

Had a police horse stood on my foot before the game at their place, bit of a painful day that was 😁

I have a memory of the police horses charging the Bolton fans outside Ewood? Don't know if I've made that up in my mind or whether it was a different game. What they were thinking by putting Blackburn v Bolton as the first game of the season I don't know. Talk about asking for trouble. Then the season after - Burnley v Bolton!! We won that one though.

• Site Supporter
10 minutes ago, RONNIE PHILLIPS said:

My police horse memory is of one using its arse to clear a path at Luton in the ginnel, and then having a massive piss on some Bolton fans. 

• Site Supporter
15 minutes ago, paulhanley said:

I have a memory of the police horses charging the Bolton fans outside Ewood? Don't know if I've made that up in my mind or whether it was a different game. What they were thinking by putting Blackburn v Bolton as the first game of the season I don't know. Talk about asking for trouble. Then the season after - Burnley v Bolton!! We won that one though.

It was outside before the game, using the horses to line us up against the wall when we were queuing to get in. 

22 minutes ago, RONNIE PHILLIPS said:

It was outside before the game, using the horses to line us up against the wall when we were queuing to get in. 

I'm glad I hadn't imagined it! Not bad to be remembering that given I was only 5 at the time. Just don't ask me what I was doing this time last week!

• Site Supporter
On 19/03/2020 at 19:07, Take Hunt Off said:

Last match of 1972/73 season v Brentford  JB & Nicholson with the goals 

21646 on although highest that season was at home to the banjo players 

33010 won’t mention the result but I never liked that Derek Fazackerly

We went up with Notts County .Guess who missed out in third place.

ps that should read league crowd. Actual highest was v Luton in FA cup sixth round 39556 phenomenal crowd given the league we were in & the relatively low travelling numbers.

Was that the season when all four leagues were won by Lancashire clubs? I can't be bothered Goggling it.

It's only a £1 question so I won't ask who the teams were.

12 minutes ago, Francis Fogarty said:

Was that the season when all four leagues were won by Lancashire clubs? I can't be bothered Goggling it.

It's only a £1 question so I won't ask who the teams were.

Liverpool, Burnley, Bolton, Southport(!)

I recall 96/97 being similar with North West Tonight having the league winners in from DMBs, us, Bury, Wigan and Macc. 

3 hours ago, paulhanley said:

Aye 1-0 & proper mayhem in and around the bowling club with bowls used as missiles !

19 hours ago, Take Hunt Off said:

Brill that, can't remember the game for the life of me .....maybe I was'nt there 😨

I could not remember it either but must have been there as had a season ticket in them days and rarely missed a game .... just looked at the fixtures and seen it was played 4 days after we had drawn 1-1 at Everton in the League Cup Semi final first leg - am sure most peoples minds that day were on what had happened at Everton , getting  tickets for the home leg and of course the nailed on trip to Wembley that would surely follow....