Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

You Tube Bolton Stuff

superjohnmcginlay

1 hour ago, ZicoKelly said:

was in the top tier, and my other random memory is that it was segregated roughly around the middle, but there was only one QPR fan in their bit, wearing a massive sombrero

How odd!! I was in the bottom section both years. Roughly the same time of year in both seasons I think.

I just don't get the whole Wolves rivalry thing. For me it was a passing thing from about 94-2000. Then everything moved on. If we beat them I don't feel the joy like I do if we win a derby. I know for a fact Wolves fans think the same. They may once have had a bit of thing about us being a bogey side and McGinlay - but it faded long ago.

12 minutes ago, DaveTheRave said:

It didn't seem like it had when Kevin Davies scored a last minute winner at there place. To say they were angry would be an understatement... Funny as fuck.

Fans get angry when they concede a last minute winner against anyone....

2 hours ago, paulhanley said:

I just don't get the whole Wolves rivalry thing. For me it was a passing thing from about 94-2000. Then everything moved on. If we beat them I don't feel the joy like I do if we win a derby. I know for a fact Wolves fans think the same. They may once have had a bit of thing about us being a bogey side and McGinlay - but it faded long ago.

They still don’t like us, suppose that’ll fade now as it might be a long time if ever we play them again. 

28 minutes ago, Mounts Kipper said:

They still don’t like us, suppose that’ll fade now as it might be a long time if ever we play them again. 

Even if they do, compare that to how they feel about WBA in particular and Villa/Birmingham and it's nothing really. 

Offer me a win over Blackburn/Wigan/United etc - I'd take them any day over win against Wolves.

• Moderators
15 hours ago, paulhanley said:

I don't think there's a rivalry but when mentioned i reckon fans from either team have old feelings awakened

As that video shows

37 minutes ago, ZicoKelly said:

I don't think there's a rivalry but when mentioned i reckon fans from either team have old feelings awakened

As that video shows

Yes that probably sums it up. It's reminiscing really. I'm sure the occasional Bolton fan does hate Wolves and vice versa because everyone has pet hates. In footballing terms my pet hate (beyond the very obvious local rivals of United, Blackburn, Wigan) is Blackpool. 

There was a bit of chat recently on this thread about the Summer of 1985 and that excitement of five new signings including some well-known names. In order they were Dave Sutton from Huddersfield (free), David Cross from WBA (free), Asa Hartford from Norwich (free), Derek Scott from Burnley (£20,000 I think), Sam Allardyce from Huddersfield (not sure). Those of us getting carried away airbrushed the departures of Brian Borrows to Coventry and Jeff Chandler to Derby. Big misses! 

These two videos are very reminiscent of that time. I'd already uploaded the goals from Bolton 1 Rotherham 1 on the opening day of 85/6 but here's first half and second half of the game. Easy Video (Roadrunner's predecessors) wouldn't start filming BWFC games full time until January 1986, Roadrunner taking over in March 1988. The two Wigan games in 84/5 were filmed by Easy Video. 

The one exception to all this was the Rotherham game. Roadrunner did this one-off. Dave Higson was at this stage still somewhere on the terraces with no thoughts of commentating. The man behind the microphone is club official and stat-man Simon Marland 

I'm pretty sure this is the only time you'll see footage of David Cross in a Bolton shirt and similar applies to Roger Walker who came on as a sub. I don't think there's any film of Big Sam in his second playing stint at Bolton but he's filmed on this at half time with Derek Scott. Scott was injured, Big Sam suspended 

Rotherham's late equaliser was a real let down because we ought to have had the game sewn-up, as you'll see. My other memory of the day was getting home and and watching Graham Gooch and David Gower flaying the Aussies to all parts in an Ashes test.

Enjoy the nostalgia. 

Second half 

Any wolves fan over the age of 30 hates us more than West Brom and more than villa and brum by a country mile.

We fucked them over for a decade, even Chorley beat em at Burnden Park. Our thing with Tranmere predominantly comes from them fucking us over, with Aldo taking lead role, exactly the same with us them and Super John. 

We knocked em out of the cup 93

Beat em 5-1 season after.

Play offs 95 speaks for itself.

Did the double on em in 97, super John 2 at theirs, battle of burned, lofty and SJM’s antics at home. 

Stopped em getting in play offs 99ish, Gardner scoring 1-0 at home and we swapped places with em.

Few seasons after we relegate them at theirs in last minute after SKD should’ve been sent off. 

Its a magnificent list of executed misery. We ruined their childhoods and fucked their lives us for a full ten years. 

Fantastic.