Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

You Tube Bolton Stuff

superjohnmcginlay

2 minutes ago, gonzo said:

Any wolves fan over the age of 30 hates us more than West Brom and more than villa and brum by a country mile.

We fucked them over for a decade, even Chorley beat em at Burnden Park. Our thing with Tranmere predominantly comes from them fucking us over, with Aldo taking lead role, exactly the same with us them and Super John. 

We knocked em out of the cup 93

Beat em 5-1 season after.

Play offs 95 speaks for itself.

Did the double on em in 97, super John 2 at theirs, battle of burned, lofty and SJM’s antics at home. 

Stopped em getting in play offs 99ish, Gardner scoring 1-0 at home and we swapped places with em.

Few seasons after we relegate them at theirs in last minute after SKD should’ve been sent off. 

Its a magnificent list of executed misery. We ruined their childhoods and fucked their lives us for a full ten years. 

Fantastic. 

Think we put a big dent in their play off hopes in 99/00. Gudjohnsen scored, might have been 1-1? Pretty sure somebody ran on from the crowd to celebrate with Gudjohnsen, first (and only?) time I can recall that at the Reebok. 

12 minutes ago, gonzo said:

Any wolves fan over the age of 30 hates us more than West Brom and more than villa and brum by a country mile.

We fucked them over for a decade, even Chorley beat em at Burnden Park. Our thing with Tranmere predominantly comes from them fucking us over, with Aldo taking lead role, exactly the same with us them and Super John. 

Did the double on em in 97, super John 2 at theirs, battle of burned, lofty and SJM’s antics at home. 

Stopped em getting in play offs 99ish, Gardner scoring 1-0 at home and we swapped places with em.

Few seasons after we relegate them at theirs in last minute after SKD should’ve been sent off. 

Its a magnificent list of executed misery. We ruined their childhoods and fucked their lives us for a full ten years. 

Fantastic. 

Aye, looked at their forums last time we played them & their bitterness towards us, is still off the scale.

Fantastic.

• Moderators
2 hours ago, gonzo said:

Fantastic. 

and a group of them nearly 7 balled us on a game of pool we had £5 a man on, in the Havelock before the play off semi

me and my mate were 17/18 - didn't have the money on us (my mate always plays for money, even when he doesn't have any), which i think they knew, and it looked like 7 or 8 "men" were about to get arsey with us

they were ballooning on about being massive and how every coach company in the Wolves area was fully booked for the day of the final and generally being cocky cunts

then my mate cleared up

3 hours ago, paulhanley said:

There was a bit of chat recently on this thread about the Summer of 1985 and that excitement of five new signings including some well-known names. In order they were Dave Sutton from Huddersfield (free), David Cross from WBA (free), Asa Hartford from Norwich (free), Derek Scott from Burnley (£20,000 I think), Sam Allardyce from Huddersfield (not sure). Those of us getting carried away airbrushed the departures of Brian Borrows to Coventry and Jeff Chandler to Derby. Big misses! 

These two videos are very reminiscent of that time. I'd already uploaded the goals from Bolton 1 Rotherham 1 on the opening day of 85/6 but here's first half and second half of the game. Easy Video (Roadrunner's predecessors) wouldn't start filming BWFC games full time until January 1986, Roadrunner taking over in March 1988. The two Wigan games in 84/5 were filmed by Easy Video. 

The one exception to all this was the Rotherham game. Roadrunner did this one-off. Dave Higson was at this stage still somewhere on the terraces with no thoughts of commentating. The man behind the microphone is club official and stat-man Simon Marland 

I'm pretty sure this is the only time you'll see footage of David Cross in a Bolton shirt and similar applies to Roger Walker who came on as a sub. I don't think there's any film of Big Sam in his second playing stint at Bolton but he's filmed on this at half time with Derek Scott. Scott was injured, Big Sam suspended 

Rotherham's late equaliser was a real let down because we ought to have had the game sewn-up, as you'll see. My other memory of the day was getting home and and watching Graham Gooch and David Gower flaying the Aussies to all parts in an Ashes test.

Enjoy the nostalgia. 

Second half 

Thanks for that Paul   I enjoyed the slightly extended highlights. It was certainly a case of 2 points Dropped with Cross and Caldwell guilty of bad misses , with this being my first season I always have an added interest with games from this period and while looking like we always had a goal in us , the defensive frailties that were to blight us for the next 2/3 years were highlighted here with their equalizer. 

3 minutes ago, dusan nikolic said:

Thanks for that Paul   I enjoyed the slightly extended highlights. It was certainly a case of 2 points Dropped with Cross and Caldwell guilty of bad misses , with this being my first season I always have an added interest with games from this period and while looking like we always had a goal in us , the defensive frailties that were to blight us for the next 2/3 years were highlighted here with their equalizer. 

We actually had to pick Warren Joyce at right back in this game because both Derek Scott and Paul Fitzpatrick were unfit. The full team is Farnworth - Joyce, Phillips, Sutton,Came - Bell, Thompson, Hartford, Rudge - Caldwell, Cross. Sub:Roger Walker. 

I wonder if it'd have made any difference if we'd won 2-0 or 3-0 that day? Probably not.

Somehow the fact that it all went pear shaped doesn't stop me enjoying watching that game. It's just a moment in time.

3 minutes ago, paulhanley said:

We actually had to pick Warren Joyce at right back in this game because both Derek Scott and Paul Fitzpatrick were unfit. The full team is Farnworth - Joyce, Phillips, Sutton,Came - Bell, Thompson, Hartford, Rudge - Caldwell, Cross. Sub:Roger Walker. 

I wonder if it'd have made any difference if we'd won 2-0 or 3-0 that day? Probably not.

Somehow the fact that it all went pear shaped doesn't stop me enjoying watching that game. It's just a moment in time.

We did have a few good wins that season which is strange considering how low we finished ., not forgetting the good results in the latter rounds of the Freight Rover. It's a shame some more games from earlier in that season weren't filmed.

5 minutes ago, dusan nikolic said:

We did have a few good wins that season which is strange considering how low we finished ., not forgetting the good results in the latter rounds of the Freight Rover. It's a shame some more games from earlier in that season weren't filmed.

Yes I agree. I think the only hope is that somewhere along the line opposition clubs filmed some of the games and they are stored away somewhere yet to be put on You Tube.

That's also my hope for the 83/4 season. That's the one season in the last 45 years that there seems to be absolutely no footage of BWFC. Before then the TV had covered at least one or two games per season. After then the clubs started to do videos. 

Just now, paulhanley said:

Yes I agree. I think the only hope is that somewhere along the line opposition clubs filmed some of the games and they are stored away somewhere yet to be put on You Tube.

That's also my hope for the 83/4 season. That's the one season in the last 45 years that there seems to be absolutely no footage of BWFC. Before then the TV had covered at least one or two games per season. After then the clubs started to do videos. 

Let's hope so ,you never know . In fairness I never ever thought I would see footage of the games I went to as a kid , the jewel for me was the Mandfield away that you put on (86/87) , that held memories about my late dad.

26 minutes ago, dusan nikolic said:

Let's hope so ,you never know . In fairness I never ever thought I would see footage of the games I went to as a kid , the jewel for me was the Mandfield away that you put on (86/87) , that held memories about my late dad.

My pleasure! If you have other requests just say. You know the rough timings of when games were videoed. I have many of the games from Jan 86 to Jan 88 but not all of um

18 minutes ago, paulhanley said:

My pleasure! If you have other requests just say. You know the rough timings of when games were videoed. I have many of the games from Jan 86 to Jan 88 but not all of um

Not sure if you do Facebook , but on a Bolton page ( Reebok Roar I think ) , who put a picture of all his Wanderers Video's up , he had around 10 or so compilation video's from 1988-1993 , they had a pic of Dave Higson on the cover by the looks of it.also he had a load of later season and including the early Allerdyce Prem vids. He said if he had enough interest he's looking at transferring them to DVD for people .

6 minutes ago, dusan nikolic said:

Not sure if you do Facebook , but on a Bolton page ( Reebok Roar I think ) , who put a picture of all his Wanderers Video's up , he had around 10 or so compilation video's from 1988-1993 , they had a pic of Dave Higson on the cover by the looks of it.also he had a load of later season and including the early Allerdyce Prem vids. He said if he had enough interest he's looking at transferring them to DVD for people .

Yes I've got a few of those Roadrunner games. Jimmy Goodinson who used to do the camera while Dave H commentated is still around and has his collection from 88-95. I think their last season was 1994/5. I've lost contact with him now but if anybody knows how to get in touch with him he'll convert games on to DVD. Probably not had dealings with him for 5 years now mind!

3 minutes ago, dusan nikolic said:

Highlights from the Final against City , the Video is from a Bristol News Perspective so a bit of a bias sadly.

Not our finest moment under the twin towers I'm afraid.

Absolute untold trouble that day from first to last. All kinds of tales of carnage on the tube and certainly plenty on the car parks outside. I remember seeing a Bolton and Bristol City fan having a proper no-holds-barred punch up at half time in empty seats right at the front. An alternative form of pre-match entertainment.

I think we took about 25,000 fans and they took 30,000.

1 hour ago, paulhanley said:

Yes I've got a few of those Roadrunner games. Jimmy Goodinson who used to do the camera while Dave H commentated is still around and has his collection from 88-95. I think their last season was 1994/5. I've lost contact with him now but if anybody knows how to get in touch with him he'll convert games on to DVD. Probably not had dealings with him for 5 years now mind!

I spoke to jimmy about 12 months ago still has all his old tapes. I have his mobile is anybody wanted to contact him. Lives in midlands these days 

3 minutes ago, BoltonBoy80 said:

I spoke to jimmy about 12 months ago still has all his old tapes. I have his mobile is anybody wanted to contact him. Lives in midlands these days 

He was charging his old 1980s/1990s rates when I ordered a few off him. From memory £15 for one and £20 for two. If you ring him you'll find you're nattering away for a good 20 minutes. 

I might have a look through the old fixtures and see what games I've not got that I might like! 

2 minutes ago, paulhanley said:

He was charging his old 1980s/1990s rates when I ordered a few off him. From memory £15 for one and £20 for two. If you ring him you'll find you're nattering away for a good 20 minutes. 

I might have a look through the old fixtures and see what games I've not got that I might like! 

He’s a great bloke, lost none of his Love for Bwfc. Always enjoyed listening to his tales. Never changed his prices. 
always wondered what happened to that Stuart butt and younger bloke (forget his name) who shared commentary with king Dave back in the day. 

1 minute ago, BoltonBoy80 said:

He’s a great bloke, lost none of his Love for Bwfc. Always enjoyed listening to his tales. Never changed his prices. 
always wondered what happened to that Stuart butt and younger bloke (forget his name) who shared commentary with king Dave back in the day. 

Was he called Tony? He was pretty good at it. 

Jimmy is a great bloke. He's no doubt retired now but he's sitting on a minor goldmine there .... if he chose to market it all.

7 minutes ago, dusan nikolic said:

If you could P.M me his number it would be much appreciated. 

It's worth ordering that Rotherham game even though I've done highlights for You Tube. That is a Jimmy production even though he didn't get the gig when it started being done regularly in 1986. The BWFC songbook is in full effect. The Manny Road in full cry with long forgotten songs - some about United, some about Blackpool (who we were due to play that season for the first time since 78) and several ways of chanting "Wanderers" that have faded from use.

1 minute ago, paulhanley said:

It's worth ordering that Rotherham game even though I've done highlights for You Tube. That is a Jimmy production even though he didn't get the gig when it started being done regularly in 1986. The BWFC songbook is in full effect. The Manny Road in full cry with long forgotten songs - some about United, some about Blackpool (who we were due to play that season for the first time since 78) and several ways of chanting "Wanderers" that have faded from use.

Ok mate , thanks for the heads up . There is a midweek match at Mansfield , we won 1-0 and Jules scored a belter , a good following for midweek if I remember.