Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

You Tube Bolton Stuff

superjohnmcginlay

• Moderators
19 minutes ago, paulhanley said:

I'd lost it with Neal by then. I'd spent years defending him from the critics but the second half of that season, even with the cup results, I'd had enough. After that last game against Stoke I didn't seriously think they'd pot him. I was absolutely delighted when they did.

If I remember right that Brentford game was another drifting, lethargic defeat.

It's amazing i came back but Southampton got me hooked, prior to that all I'd had was Horwich RMI and one Liverpool game which i hated

• Site Supporter
2 hours ago, dusan nikolic said:

Bolton 2 v Arsenal 2 . F.A .Cup 1994

The lesser seen of the 2 matches

Back in the days when Owen Coyle was still considered a hero. 

47 minutes ago, ZicoKelly said:

It's amazing i came back but Southampton got me hooked, prior to that all I'd had was Horwich RMI and one Liverpool game which i hated

I went to Horwich on the odd occasion as well. Sloping pitch, lovely hot pot served in chippy style placcy trays and a pint in the clubhouse afterwards. 

• Moderators
5 minutes ago, paulhanley said:

I went to Horwich on the odd occasion as well. Sloping pitch, lovely hot pot served in chippy style placcy trays and a pint in the clubhouse afterwards. 

My old man did loads of Bolton in the 50s

Burnley in the 60s

Had 3 kids in the 70s

Not sure if he didn't fancy Burnden with kids in the 80s but he always took us to RMI, and left us on the terraces for 90 mins whilst he supped in the clubhouse

He only got us tickets for Southampton as he thought it would be against Utd

18 minutes ago, ZicoKelly said:

My old man did loads of Bolton in the 50s

Burnley in the 60s

Had 3 kids in the 70s

Not sure if he didn't fancy Burnden with kids in the 80s but he always took us to RMI, and left us on the terraces for 90 mins whilst he supped in the clubhouse

He only got us tickets for Southampton as he thought it would be against Utd

Sounds like he wanted the peace and quiet and a reasonable pint as opposed to the ever present under-current of violence and a shit pint in a plastic glass at Burnden. It's not hard to see how crowds declined across the board in the 80s.

You'd often get the officials from the opposition team in that clubhouse. All very sociable and friendly. Watch the results coming in on the Grandstand vidiprinter after RMI's game had done - no screaming and shouting from Charlie Nicholas and Paul Merson. Different world.

I'm late to the debate on Phil Neal, but regarding his perceived "wierdness".  He's undoubtedly wierd, and he definitely has an ego.  That doesnt make him a bad manager, but probably makes him annoying to work for.  Whatever we think of Keith Hill's abilities, he was generally a great success at Rochdale.  But their fans would say he was wierd, with an ego, and probably annoying to work for.

18 minutes ago, Johnnyrotten said:

I'm late to the debate on Phil Neal, but regarding his perceived "wierdness".  He's undoubtedly wierd, and he definitely has an ego.  That doesnt make him a bad manager, but probably makes him annoying to work for.  Whatever we think of Keith Hill's abilities, he was generally a great success at Rochdale.  But their fans would say he was wierd, with an ego, and probably annoying to work for.

Aye. Manifests itself differently. Neal could be taciturn. Hill won't shut his gob.

53 minutes ago, Johnnyrotten said:

The weirdness comment was Cowdrills , I personally thought he did a good job and came within a whisker of doing a great job . Like Hill he did seem to develop issues with certain players , perhaps cut from the same cloth.

• Moderators
1 hour ago, paulhanley said:

Sounds like he wanted the peace and quiet and a reasonable pint as opposed to the ever present under-current of violence and a shit pint in a plastic glass at Burnden. It's not hard to see how crowds declined across the board in the 80s.

You'd often get the officials from the opposition team in that clubhouse. All very sociable and friendly. Watch the results coming in on the Grandstand vidiprinter after RMI's game had done - no screaming and shouting from Charlie Nicholas and Paul Merson. Different world.

Aye, I enjoyed going watching RMI and the GMAC cup run and win in the late 80s was ace

Looking back I've no idea why they got to play both the semi v Enfield and the final v Weymouth both at home but the place was packed, Faz Page the hero who went on to be Bolton's physio

There was also a young Paul Furlong playing for Enfield

But when that equaliser went in v Southampton and the Lever End went mental i was hooked

8 hours ago, ZicoKelly said:

Aye, I enjoyed going watching RMI and the GMAC cup run and win in the late 80s was ace

Looking back I've no idea why they got to play both the semi v Enfield and the final v Weymouth both at home but the place was packed, Faz Page the hero who went on to be Bolton's physio

But when that equaliser went in v Southampton and the Lever End went mental i was hooked

The names of the players I remember from those days at RMI are Ollie Parillon and Neil McLachlan. That cup win was a tiny bit before I took interest. Average gate was about 250 wasn't it? 

• Site Supporter
9 hours ago, ZicoKelly said:

In the days when we were so far away from the top flight that cup games against better opposition meant bumper crowds.

After those 11 years as a top team ourselves the romance of the cup never really returned.

What happened?

1 hour ago, MickyD said:

In the days when we were so far away from the top flight that cup games against better opposition meant bumper crowds.

After those 11 years as a top team ourselves the romance of the cup never really returned.

What happened?

Mad how the enthusiasm died in a relatively short space of time as well. In both cups.

We went from the Swindon semi, where it was packed to the rafters and atmosphere electric, to the Tranmere semi at the reebok where we had 12k on and nobody could be arsed in the space of 4-5 years.

The Everton cup match under freedman saw Everton all over the home sections, imagine that ten years earlier.

10 minutes ago, gonzo said:

Mad how the enthusiasm died in a relatively short space of time as well. In both cups.

We went from the Swindon semi, where it was packed to the rafters and atmosphere electric, to the Tranmere semi at the reebok where we had 12k on and nobody could be arsed in the space of 4-5 years.

It came back for the FA Cup tie v Arsenal in 2005. 23,500 was a bigger gate than anything at Burnden since 1980

14 hours ago, ZicoKelly said:

The venues were decided by a toss of the coin.....

over the phone in RMI's ground!

True story 

Southampton away.  What a day/night.  A reflection of that era tbh - hard to think that we’d take that many away again for a night match.  Went with a mate who was a Derby fan.  He couldn’t believe the atmosphere - best away match ever in his eyes.  As usual though we cocked it up in the last minute - can see Felgate flapping even now.