Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

You Tube Bolton Stuff

superjohnmcginlay

10 hours ago, paulhanley said:

I remember that Doncaster goal. Shortly after John McGovern was sacked we went on a run of about 5 consecutive league wins and got to the fringes of midtable. They appointed Charlie Wright on the strength of that run and we then promptly went about nine games without a win. My memory of that goal was that it was from way out wide as well as being from distance. He was pretty much stood in front of the Burnden Paddock.

Yes he was; I was stood much nearer the fencing in the Paddock than normally, and when he hit it he was really close to us and so he was celebrating in front of us for a change, he'd not normally be anywhere near us for a goal.

• Moderators
7 hours ago, Marc505 said:

Now then...

I just watched that from start to finish

Some ace memories

Going to Sheff Weds away and thinking they were big time because you could have a pot noodle at half time

18 minutes ago, RONNIE PHILLIPS said:

How shit were we at the back though?!... Played some great stuff going forward mind 😊

I was saying that to my mate earlier.  The number of times Phillips cocked up, Stubbs was caught in possession or Davison just looked lost.

David Lee got a lot of stick that year for his inconsistency, from Dave Higson too but the number of assists he made was unreal. You'd never back him in front of goal though! 

31 minutes ago, ZicoKelly said:

I just watched that from start to finish

Some ace memories

Going to Sheff Weds away and thinking they were big time because you could have a pot noodle at half time

Only just getting round to watching it now, that mix tape of Higson's commentary is gold.

Convinced Sheffield Wednesday were playing in our yellow away kit in that cup game too!

• Site Supporter
6 minutes ago, Duck Egg said:

I was saying that to my mate earlier.  The number of times Phillips cocked up, Stubbs was caught in possession or Davison just looked lost.

David Lee got a lot of stick that year for his inconsistency, from Dave Higson too but the number of assists he made was unreal. You'd never back him in front of goal though! 

We were atrocious on set pieces too. 

• Site Supporter
10 hours ago, paulhanley said:

Back to New Year's Day 2001 and the completion of the double over Preston on our way to promotion to the Prem under Big Sam. Of course that was achieved with the win over PNE at Cardiff so it was a treble in the end.

This was the first time Bolton, Burnley, Blackburn and PNE had been in the same division for many years. We did well in all of the fixtures other than the 1-4 home defeat to Blackburn, 

A big away following saw us take an early lead thanks to Gareth Farrelly (as was the case at Cardiff!) before Michael Ricketts sealed the win with a late header having come on as a sub - something he did to great effect several times in that campaign. 

Just before Christmas we'd triumphed 0-2 at Burnley so it was a good festive season for derby wins.

Ricketts scored off the bench in all 3 games against Preston that season.

21 hours ago, paulhanley said:

I watched it and can't remember a hangover. There's no way I'd have been sober the night before. One of my worst hangovers at any match was a New Year's Day job a decade earlier ... when Comstive scored his two corners v Bournemouth at home.

1991.  Those corners were blown in by the driving wind and rain if I remember correctly, at the Embankment end.  We had some Swedish lads with us that day (fans of AIK).  They'd met up with some friends at Italia 90 and arranged to come over for a couple of games, (no easy feat pre-mobiles) and our lot went over to watch AIK (proper nutters their fans apparently). 

1 minute ago, Johnnyrotten said:

1991.  Those corners were blown in by the driving wind and rain if I remember correctly, at the Embankment end.  We had some Swedish lads with us that day (fans of AIK).  They'd met up with some friends at Italia 90 and arranged to come over for a couple of games, (no easy feat pre-mobiles) and our lot went over to watch AIK (proper nutters their fans apparently). 

They'll have fitted in with our lot then!! 

Aiming to post another game this afternoon. A sunny afternoon at Burnden Park!

Back to 1988 and after the never to be forgotten day at Wrexham in May, Bolton were back in Division 3. The fans were expecting a busy Summer of signings but in the end had to be satisfied with just two newcomers. Thankfully over the long-run both proved to be successful in the shape of Phil Brown from Halifax for £17,000 and Barry Cowdrill from WBA on a free. 

The season started with a 2-0 defeat at Roots Hall, Southend with the Bolton fans descending in force, drinking the Essex resort dry and causing the local constabulary all kinds of grief inside and outside of the ground. 

A 1-0 League Cup win over Chester was registered in the following midweek before fellow promoted side Cardiff City came to town on September 3 for the first Burnden league game of the new campaign (this in the days when the season started in very late August).

It was another afternoon when crowd trouble occasionally came to the fore with a lively away following from the Welsh capital (you can see one of their fans being bundled out of the Paddock early in this video)

It wasn't only the fans who were aggressive. On the pitch there were several first half bookings for both sides and just before half-time the Bluebirds midfielder Mark Kelly was sent off for a second bookable offence - a chronically late challenge on Julian Darby. Up until that point Cardiff had probably been slightly likelier to score. From then on though it was all Bolton. It ended 4-0 with all four goals in the second half and was just what was required to get the season up and running . The goalscorers  are John Thomas, Julian Darby (2 - one  a bit flukey) and Gary Henshaw. 

Edited by paulhanley

On 24/05/2020 at 14:11, paulhanley said:

Back to New Year's Day 2001 and the completion of the double over Preston on our way to promotion to the Prem under Big Sam. Of course that was achieved with the win over PNE at Cardiff so it was a treble in the end.

This was the first time Bolton, Burnley, Blackburn and PNE had been in the same division for many years. We did well in all of the fixtures other than the 1-4 home defeat to Blackburn, 

A big away following saw us take an early lead thanks to Gareth Farrelly (as was the case at Cardiff!) before Michael Ricketts sealed the win with a late header having come on as a sub - something he did to great effect several times in that campaign. 

Just before Christmas we'd triumphed 0-2 at Burnley so it was a good festive season for derby wins.

Don’t think I’ve seen that other than live. Nice one 👍🏼

• Site Supporter
3 hours ago, paulhanley said:

Back to 1988 and after the never to be forgotten day at Wrexham in May, Bolton were back in Division 3. The fans were expecting a busy Summer of signings but in the end had to be satisfied with just two newcomers. Thankfully over the long-run both proved to be successful in the shape of Phil Brown from Halifax for £17,000 and Barry Cowdrill from WBA on a free. 

The season started with a 2-0 defeat at Roots Hall, Southend with the Bolton fans descending in force, drinking the Essex resort dry and causing the local constabulary all kinds of grief inside and outside of the ground. 

A 1-0 League Cup win over Chester was registered in the following midweek before fellow promoted side Cardiff City came to town on September 3 for the first Burnden league game of the new campaign (this in the days when the season started in very late August).

It was another afternoon when crowd trouble occasionally came to the fore with a lively away following from the Welsh capital (you can see one of their fans being bundled out of the Paddock early in this video)

It wasn't only the fans who were aggressive. On the pitch there were several first half bookings for both sides and just before half-time the Bluebirds midfielder Mark Kelly was sent off for a second bookable offence - a chronically late challenge on Julian Darby. Up until that point Cardiff had probably been slightly likelier to score. From then on though it was all Bolton. It ended 4-0 with all four goals in the second half and was just what was required to get the season up and running . The goalscorers  are John Thomas, Julian Darby (2 - one  a bit flukey) and Gary Henshaw. 

Didn’t they take exception to the paddock singing ‘We will rock you’ just as the teams were about to come out?

17 minutes ago, Biggish Dave said:

Didn’t they take exception to the paddock singing ‘We will rock you’ just as the teams were about to come out?

Quite possibly! They seemed to be taking exception to an awful lot that day. It's the only time I remember Cardiff turning up at Burnden with a lively following and anything approaching decent numbers - although looking at the video I'd still say their following was only 700 or so. Others will remember detail better hopefully.

^ Those first 2 seasons back in division 3 and Darby was as good a midfielder as there was at that level.  What a superb header for the 2nd goal.

Amazing to see Cardiff fans disputing the sending off.  Already on a yellow and the bloke launched himself into a challenge like that! Even in those days you couldn't get away with that! 

7 hours ago, paulhanley said:

Thanks Paul , a good win in the end after the rash challenge for the sending off ,  these video's show how much there was to John Thomas's game beside goals , always seemed full of running. Without looking in Marlands book , how much longer did Steve Elliott stay with us?

Edited by dusan nikolic

8 hours ago, Johnnyrotten said:

we had AIK lad with us in Denmark pre season friendly early Allardyce era , he was a massive unit,  not sure why he was watching BWFC, might be same lads. 

Edited by Mounts Kipper

8 hours ago, dusan nikolic said:

Thanks Paul , a good win in the end after the rash challenge for the sending off ,  these video's show how much there was to John Thomas's game beside goals , always seemed full of running. Without looking in Marlands book , how much longer did Steve Elliott stay with us?

I don't think he was there for too long after this game. In fact I'm fairly sure he played against us for Bury in this same season. Never quite did it for us. JT was a good un for us. I reckon he was looked very slightly on the portly side for a footballer. He wasn't on his own in those days. Probably to do with lack of diet advice and hopeless training facilities at Bolton at the time.

9 hours ago, Duck Egg said:

^ Those first 2 seasons back in division 3 and Darby was as good a midfielder as there was at that level.  What a superb header for the 2nd goal.

Amazing to see Cardiff fans disputing the sending off.  Already on a yellow and the bloke launched himself into a challenge like that! Even in those days you couldn't get away with that! 

Right under the ref's nose as well. 

I think Darby was quite a limited midfielder but covered a lot of ground and had a brilliant eye for goal. When Rioch arrived things moved a level up from Julian's standard but he was still there chipping in with very valuable goals at Bournemouth and at home to Stoke.

27 minutes ago, paulhanley said:

Right under the ref's nose as well. 

I think Darby was quite a limited midfielder but covered a lot of ground and had a brilliant eye for goal. When Rioch arrived things moved a level up from Julian's standard but he was still there chipping in with very valuable goals at Bournemouth and at home to Stoke.

Things definitely moved on under Rioch and Jules was left behind.  He'd started to get some awful stick in Neal's last season which would have effected anyone tbh but I think folk forget how good he was for the couple of seasons before.  He had a great engine, was very good at breaking up the opposition play and what a finisher.

2 hours ago, Duck Egg said:

Things definitely moved on under Rioch and Jules was left behind.  He'd started to get some awful stick in Neal's last season which would have effected anyone tbh but I think folk forget how good he was for the couple of seasons before.  He had a great engine, was very good at breaking up the opposition play and what a finisher.

Rarely mentioned that he actually left us to  play in the Premier League at Coventry. Granted, their manager was Phil Neal so he might have landed lucky to an extent, but 50 odd games isn’t to be sniffed at. 

2 hours ago, Duck Egg said:

When you look back he suffered from being Bolton born,  similar to Roy Greaves, and similar to Greaves he played all over the park and rarely let the team down, and he gave me his ticket for the wolves games outside Molineux for that cup match years back the one that was beamed back to Burnden. Top Wanderer and top bloke.