Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

You Tube Bolton Stuff

superjohnmcginlay

1 hour ago, Mounts Kipper said:

When you look back he suffered from being Bolton born,  similar to Roy Greaves, and similar to Greaves he played all over the park and rarely let the team down, and he gave me his ticket for the wolves games outside Molineux for that cup match years back the one that was beamed back to Burnden. Top Wanderer and top bloke. 

Yeah, I've heard that before and although I remember Roy Greaves in his playing days, I was probably too young to notice him getting stick.  Over the years I've seen plenty of players get stick;, the lazy, the fancy Dan's, the hapless and the local. I'm not sure us Bolton fans discriminate tbh! 

10 hours ago, Duck Egg said:

Things definitely moved on under Rioch and Jules was left behind.  He'd started to get some awful stick in Neal's last season which would have effected anyone tbh but I think folk forget how good he was for the couple of seasons before.  He had a great engine, was very good at breaking up the opposition play and what a finisher.

Yep. He was a good combination with Steve Thompson and we'd have struggled without his goals. A bit like Peter Nicholson he ended up playing in quite a few different positions .... right back, centre back, centre midfield and the central striker! 

I'm glad he got to play a handful of games for us in the second tier. Reward for the hard work of being part of the set up that pulled us up from Div 4.

I'll focus on that Blackpool vid this coming weekend btw

Edited by paulhanley

The dreaded tag of the “utility player”. We’ve had a few over the years and despite being willing to put a shift in playing anywhere they would so often get really unjust stick

Never remember Roy Greaves getting it as that number 4 shirt seemed to be his and his alone but I do remember Nicko getting dogs abuse at times

29 minutes ago, MancWanderer said:

The dreaded tag of the “utility player”. We’ve had a few over the years and despite being willing to put a shift in playing anywhere they would so often get really unjust stick

Never remember Roy Greaves getting it as that number 4 shirt seemed to be his and his alone but I do remember Nicko getting dogs abuse at times

I'm pretty sure I remember Roy Greaves getting it in the neck. Even more remarkably in that era I remember times when Neil Whatmore got it in the neck. When he returned for 2 or 3 loan spells in the 80s though everybody was in love with him.

1 minute ago, paulhanley said:

I'm pretty sure I remember Roy Greaves getting it in the neck. Even more remarkably in that era I remember times when Neil Whatmore got it in the neck. When he returned for 2 or 3 loan spells in the 80s though everybody was in love with him.

He may well have done mate. It’s maybe that I don’t remember it. Or maybe the Burnden Paddock were more forgiving?

Definitely remember Nicko getting it. And Ray Train. Maybe it was just certain sections of the ground. There was always one bloke near my dads favourite spot on the paddock who spent the whole game hurling abuse and the crowd mentality kicking in

Only player at Burnden that I remember getting really serious abuse from absolutely everyone was Ian Moores. At times it felt like the whole ground was at him. 

23 minutes ago, MancWanderer said:

He may well have done mate. It’s maybe that I don’t remember it. Or maybe the Burnden Paddock were more forgiving?

Definitely remember Nicko getting it. And Ray Train. Maybe it was just certain sections of the ground. There was always one bloke near my dads favourite spot on the paddock who spent the whole game hurling abuse and the crowd mentality kicking in

Only player at Burnden that I remember getting really serious abuse from absolutely everyone was Ian Moores. At times it felt like the whole ground was at him. 

Justifiably so too..😁

39 minutes ago, MancWanderer said:

I felt sorry for him. I'm glad he'd had a decent career before joining us and afterwards too according to Wikipedia

In July 1983 he moved to APOEL in Cyprus, where he remained for five years and where he is still regarded as a legend. He played alongside Terry McDermott and won one Cypriot Championship, one Cup, two Super Cups and played in all three European competitions. 

13 hours ago, Duck Egg said:

Things definitely moved on under Rioch and Jules was left behind.  He'd started to get some awful stick in Neal's last season which would have effected anyone tbh but I think folk forget how good he was for the couple of seasons before.  He had a great engine, was very good at breaking up the opposition play and what a finisher.

Good summary.  Not difficult to compare him to Vela, even looks similar.  Neither ever completely cemented their place in one position in the team, I remember Jules playing some games at right back and centre back, and as a 2nd striker occasionally same as Vela.  They also share a similar languid style and you could argue eye for goal, although Darby far better in that department.  Both local lads with a bit of a love hate relationship with the fans. Great servant Darby both on and off the pitch, top bloke.

Darby's game was to break up the play and give the ball to playmaker Steve Thompson. Darby's job then switched to trying to get into the box in case the ball broke to him.

When Thommo left in 91, Darby was asked to do some of the playmaking as well and it was all too much. He gave the club 7 yrs good service.

Great memory, that felt like a really big game at the time. What I loved about that season was the feeling we could win games 1-0, it would be 0-0 well into the 2nd half then McGinlay etc would break the deadlock.  I've yearned for those types of games ever since and they happen about once a year now.  I might have to check stats but it feels like we never win a game 1-0 especially when its 0-0 after an hour, which is rare.  Sunderland turned out to be the only win in 8 games before and after, I hadnt realised until I just looked how much we "blew" the chance of automatic promotion. Last 4 aways we got 1 point at Stoke and lost the other 3 including Tranmere and Oldham.  Added to how crap we played at Wolves in the play offs, then in the 1st half v Reading at Wembley, we definitely rode our luck to go up.  Quite similar to how we bottled it under Parky towards the end but just managed to scrape up. 

This one's for Duck Egg
In our 1986/7 relegation season to Division 4 it was beyond New Year where most of the damage was done. We seemed to go ultra-defensive and the result was lots of drawn games - a large number of them 0-0

A trip to Bloomfield Road seemed to bring us a bit out of our shells for a Tuesday night derby in front of a reasonable away following. We created and missed a few chances before Dave Sutton powered home a header from a free kick just after the hour. In character with the 86/7 season we hung on to the lead for all of two minutes before the home side equalised.

This was one of many draws at Bloomfield Road over the last 40 years - we've not won there since 1978 despite being in a good position to do so on several occasions. 

Edited by paulhanley

20 minutes ago, paulhanley said:
This one's for Duck Egg
In our 1986/7 relegation season to Division 4 it was beyond New Year where most of the damage was done. We seemed to go ultra-defensive and the result was lots of drawn games - a large number of them 0-0

A trip to Bloomfield Road seemed to bring us a bit out of our shells for a Tuesday night derby in front of a reasonable away following. We created and missed a few chances before Dave Sutton powered home a header from a free kick just after the hour. In character with the 86/7 season we hung on to the lead for all of two minutes before the home side equalised.

This was one of many draws at Bloomfield Road over the last 40 years - we've not won there since 1978 despite being in a good position to do so on several occasions. 

Do I see Barry Siddall and Mike Walsh playing for Blackpool?

11 hours ago, paulhanley said:
This one's for Duck Egg

Thanks Paul , another game from that season we seemingly dominated and threw it away . I didn't realise what a big unit Dave Sutton was , a great header from him for the goal.

28 minutes ago, dusan nikolic said:

Thanks Paul , another game from that season we seemingly dominated and threw it away . I didn't realise what a big unit Dave Sutton was , a great header from him for the goal.

He was a tall centre back, not "big" in frame like Allardyce, Taggart or one or two more we've had. My recollection of him is that he was pretty hopeless on the ball, decent in the air, could have sound games defensively but was occasionally prone to what Dave Higson described as "dizzy moments".

23 minutes ago, Duck Egg said:

Cheers Paul. Great header and reminded me of the song we used to sing after his other goal at Plymouth

"I'd walk a million miles for one of your goals, ohhh Sutty!"

He scored a few. Certainly from my postings on You Tube there's the equaliser in a 1-1 at Brentford and a goal in a 2-2 draw at home to Bristol Rovers on a freezing cold day. Needless to say we were 2-0 up in that one.

Sutton actually started his career at Plymouth despite being born out near Southport. Odd.

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Duck Egg said:

Cheers Paul. Great header and reminded me of the song we used to sing after his other goal at Plymouth

"I'd walk a million miles for one of your goals, ohhh Sutty!"

Plymouth away...4 1?

First game I missed for about 30 months

To meet a girl...in the Balmoral

:)