Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

You Tube Bolton Stuff

superjohnmcginlay

9 minutes ago, paulhanley said:

Yes he'd have been fine if fit. Him and Came would have been OK.

He played more than 3 games for PNE in 86/7 didn't he?

Your quite right , he played 37 games in 1986/87 when they gained promotion , and the following season he played 38 when they finished mid table.

5 minutes ago, dusan nikolic said:

Your quite right , he played 37 games in 1986/87 when they gained promotion , and the following season he played 38 when they finished mid table.

He'd have done a decent job for us managed right. His experience would have been what we needed. Probably only in terms of getting us up to mid-table in 85/6 though to be fair!

For various reasons I've not managed to do a post today but I'm pointing you in the direction of a fairly new stream on You Tube instead. This guy "Red Rose Dan" is posting some fantastic stuff, mainly from the 1990s and 2000s. Well worth a look at his channel. One of his more recent postings is below- Bolton 2 Ipswich 0 from 98/9. Other gems include: Bolton 3 Sheff W 2 from 97/8; Bolton 1 WBA 0 from 94/5; City 1 Bolton 2 from 96/7; Bolton 1 West Ham 0 from 07/8, Everton 1 Bolton 2 from 03/4; Bolton 1 Norwich 0 from 00/01; Wolves 1 Bolton 2 from 03/4 and Bolton 1 Bristol C 0 from 98/9.

You'll also find one of my favourite games of the 90s - Peterborough 2 Bolton 3 from 93/4. This was the day we knew we'd survived our first year back in the second tier under Bruce and Andy Walker scored a couple on his return from injury

6 minutes ago, paulhanley said:

For various reasons I've not managed to do a post today but I'm pointing you in the direction of a fairly new stream on You Tube instead. This guy "Red Rose Dan" is posting some fantastic stuff, mainly from the 1990s and 2000s. Well worth a look at his channel. One of his more recent postings is below- Bolton 2 Ipswich 0 from 98/9. Other gems include: Bolton 3 Sheff W 2 from 97/8; Bolton 1 WBA 0 from 94/5; City 1 Bolton 2 from 96/7; Bolton 1 West Ham 0 from 07/8, Everton 1 Bolton 2 from 03/4; Bolton 1 Norwich 0 from 00/01; Wolves 1 Bolton 2 from 03/4 and Bolton 1 Bristol C 0 from 98/9.

You'll also find one of my favourite games of the 90s - Peterborough 2 Bolton 3 from 93/4. This was the day we knew we'd survived our first year back in the second tier under Bruce and Andy Walker scored a couple on his return from injury

Yes regarding Peterborough we had a bad run before that game think no win in 7/8, apart from Barnsley last game we didn’t finish that bad 

3 minutes ago, radcliffewhite1 said:

Yes regarding Peterborough we had a bad run before that game think no win in 7/8, apart from Barnsley last game we didn’t finish that bad 

It was purgatory at the time. We were playing really poor and had just started to look over our shoulders This game took us over 50 points and settled everybody down

1 hour ago, radcliffewhite1 said:

Gudjonson, what a player.  Those goals were poetry in motion and was typical of him in those days.  And Claus Jensen wasnt bad either.

18 hours ago, marple whites said:

It was always great away from home, to have a song for every player.

struggle these days to get 3 decent songs altogether !

I think players were held in greater affection than they are now, irrespective of ability.  Simon Farnworth and Dave Felgate werent anywhere near as good as Remi Matthews in my opinion, but they got a kind of hero worship if they made a save.  Matthews makes loads of saves and never gets a mention from us fans, its not as if a song for him would be difficult to make up with his classic 2 x 2 syllables!  Jason Lowe is better than Warren Joyce, but he would never get a song if he captained us to the title.  Players are viewed more cynically now, like you're earning good money  and we're crap, just be grateful.  They felt more like family 30 years ago and we accepted their faults. 

1 hour ago, Johnnyrotten said:

I think players were held in greater affection than they are now, irrespective of ability.  Simon Farnworth and Dave Felgate werent anywhere near as good as Remi Matthews in my opinion, but they got a kind of hero worship if they made a save.  Matthews makes loads of saves and never gets a mention from us fans, its not as if a song for him would be difficult to make up with his classic 2 x 2 syllables!  Jason Lowe is better than Warren Joyce, but he would never get a song if he captained us to the title.  Players are viewed more cynically now, like you're earning good money  and we're crap, just be grateful.  They felt more like family 30 years ago and we accepted their faults. 

That's just down to the differential between what they earn and what the rest of us earn on average. By the sounds of it that gap may be closing soon!

24 minutes ago, paulhanley said:

Another little gem from someone quietly posting Wanderers videos. Grimsby 0 Bolton 1 from early in 2000/2001.

Just scrolling through that lad's uploads now, they're all Grimsby games but seen at least 4 involving us I'll find some links

5 minutes ago, radcliffewhite1 said:

Great stuff marc 

grimsby was one of my favourite away days down the years must of been 6/7 times and all being well again next season 

Going off that lot we really do have a good record over them. Only just actually watched that 1990 one at the bottom, barely 2 seconds worth of footage but an appearance by the mythical blue away kit

2 minutes ago, Marc505 said:

Going off that lot we really do have a good record over them. Only just actually watched that 1990 one at the bottom, barely 2 seconds worth of footage but an appearance by the mythical blue away kit

Yeah mentioned before about our record very good and a few missing off that lot.

also took some good numbers down the years we had fans locked out for the Boxing Day clash in 96

10 minutes ago, radcliffewhite1 said:

Yeah mentioned before about our record very good and a few missing off that lot.

also took some good numbers down the years we had fans locked out for the Boxing Day clash in 96

This is one of the away games I'm hoping will be scheduled when we're allowed back in and not before, I can imaginea good turnout again. I'd take a draw right now 😆

Some great games at Grimsby.

remember a 1-0 win away when they were flying high and we were near the bottom and we got performance of the week.

went to the fuel crisis game on the coach - they had loads of chances in that game.

loved the  Christmas away game and the 2 first games of the seasons

I thought I'd already posted this but cant find it, apologies if its repeated...Can anyone find a link to a famous miss by Vaz Te at Blackburn in Jan 2006?  He beat half their team on a long run then basically fell over in front of a gaping goal.  Match finished 0-0 and was on a Friday, live on Sky.  I cant find it on Youtube.  There's a reason I want to see it which I wont bore you with.  Any help appreciated.

1 hour ago, Johnnyrotten said:

I thought I'd already posted this but cant find it, apologies if its repeated...Can anyone find a link to a famous miss by Vaz Te at Blackburn in Jan 2006?  He beat half their team on a long run then basically fell over in front of a gaping goal.  Match finished 0-0 and was on a Friday, live on Sky.  I cant find it on Youtube.  There's a reason I want to see it which I wont bore you with.  Any help appreciated.

Can’t find the video, but I’m 99% sure it was a Saturday evening kick off rather than Friday. I watched it in a pub in Lloret de Mar, which was as busy as you’d expect in January.