Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

You Tube Bolton Stuff

superjohnmcginlay

It's an increasingly odd experience posting games in sequence from our Div 4 season. The expectation of an immediate promotion then was the same as it was at the start of this season. Even though we finished 3rd, statistically it was the lowest finish we'd ever had in the football league. Just now it appears we are not going reach that bar in 2020/21

This November 2-2 draw at home against Cambridge was part of a poor run of league form punctuated by some cup wins. It meant we'd won 9 drawn 5 and lost 5. Keith Branagan was in goal for Cambridge on this day, four years before signing for us. After the excitement of the Turf Moor double header it was back to the humdrum realities of basement division life.

8 hours ago, paulhanley said:

It's an increasingly odd experience posting games in sequence from our Div 4 season. The expectation of an immediate promotion then was the same as it was at the start of this season. Even though we finished 3rd, statistically it was the lowest finish we'd ever had in the football league. Just now it appears we are not going reach that bar in 2020/21

This November 2-2 draw at home against Cambridge was part of a poor run of league form punctuated by some cup wins. It meant we'd won 9 drawn 5 and lost 5. Keith Branagan was in goal for Cambridge on this day, four years before signing for us. After the excitement of the Turf Moor double header it was back to the humdrum realities of basement division life.

Cheers Paul , good to know the promotion team let people score free headers too.

J.T certainly seemed on fire at this stage and seemed a class above this devision.  Dave seems cross Ian Steven's didn't feature at all. It looked a proper old fashioned game I think the video equipment they used helps to capture the old feel well.

Edited by dusan nikolic

38 minutes ago, dusan nikolic said:

Cheers Paul , good to know the promotion team let people score free headers too.

J.T certainly seemed on fire at this stage and seemed a class above this devision.  Dave seems cross Ian Steven's didn't feature at all. It looked a proper old fashioned game I think the video equipment they used helps to capture the old feel well.

Dave had a right bee in his bonnet all that season about Stevens. He remained behind JT, Big Trev and Steve Elliott throughout. 

I'd take Dave Sutton and Mark Came above our current central defence to be blunt! 

27 minutes ago, leigh white said:

I can remember playing Burnley in a night match in 76, they brought a decent mob, but became unstuck under the disused railway bridges on Manny rd after the game.

I think it was 77/78 ... our only home defeat that promotion year. It was a New Year fixture - maybe January 2.

I feel a bit better about posting games from our previous Div 4 season now we've won a game in the current one. Although the point in 87/88 season we've reached actually means this post is an FA Cup tie from early December.

November and the first half of December became charecterised by successes in cup games but poor league results. A win at Burnley in the FA Cup First Round (followed by a Freight Rover win at Stockport) punctuated league defeats at Burnley, a home draw with Cambridge and dispiriting defeats at Colchester and Tranmere.

Amidst all that came a Second Round FA Cup win at The Racecourse, Ground Wrexham. This was of course to be a venue that would go on to become famous among Bolton fans for promotion related reasons in the 87/88 season. The away following on this December day was impressive rather than vast - as was the turnout the following May. Great goal celebrations for the second.

John Thomas scored Bolton's two goals in this 1-2 win. A young debutant called Ian Callaghan made a real impression in midfield but was never really seen or heard of again. 

As was the old fashioned way, the following Monday lunchtime would have seen Bolton fans tuning in to Radio 2 medium wave for the Third Round draw. An away tie at second tier Barnsley was no glamour tie .. but it whetted the appetite of success starved fans enough to ensure another giant turnout in January.

9 hours ago, paulhanley said:

I feel a bit better about posting games from our previous Div 4 season now we've won a game in the current one. Although the point in 87/88 season we've reached actually means this post is an FA Cup tie from early December.

November and the first half of December became charecterised by successes in cup games but poor league results. A win at Burnley in the FA Cup First Round (followed by a Freight Rover win at Stockport) punctuated league defeats at Burnley, a home draw with Cambridge and dispiriting defeats at Colchester and Tranmere.

Amidst all that came a Second Round FA Cup win at The Racecourse, Ground Wrexham. This was of course to be a venue that would go on to become famous among Bolton fans for promotion related reasons in the 87/88 season. The away following on this December day was impressive rather than vast - as was the turnout the following May. Great goal celebrations for the second.

John Thomas scored Bolton's two goals in this 1-2 win. A young debutant called Ian Callaghan made a real impression in midfield but was never really seen or heard of again. 

As was the old fashioned way, the following Monday lunchtime would have seen Bolton fans tuning in to Radio 2 medium wave for the Third Round draw. An away tie at second tier Barnsley was no glamour tie .. but it whetted the appetite of success starved fans enough to ensure another giant turnout in January.

Cheers Paul , J.T having a real prolific time in front of goal , what a great poacher he was . I love seeing the terraces going mad on these videos,  it shows what great away support we had even at this low point in our history.

41 minutes ago, dusan nikolic said:

Cheers Paul , J.T having a real prolific time in front of goal , what a great poacher he was . I love seeing the terraces going mad on these videos,  it shows what great away support we had even at this low point in our history.

It's incredible. I reckon we took the best part of 5,000 to Wrexham on that last day. The gate was 5,900 but at least 500 of ours bunked in that day.

JT had got PNE promoted by being prolific the season before our promotion. He was good enough for Div 3 but a real marksman at Div 4 level.

52 minutes ago, paulhanley said:

It's incredible. I reckon we took the best part of 5,000 to Wrexham on that last day. The gate was 5,900 but at least 500 of ours bunked in that day.

JT had got PNE promoted by being prolific the season before our promotion. He was good enough for Div 3 but a real marksman at Div 4 level.

What do you reckon that stand behind the goal at Wrexham held?

9 hours ago, dusan nikolic said:

What do you reckon that stand behind the goal at Wrexham held?

Maybe 3,500. I think that stand is actually still there! Although its seats in the thin terrace at the front now. In the May game Bolton fans are all down the side terrace too.

• Site Supporter
2 hours ago, ZicoKelly said:

Before my time, spotted in Instagram

C1dH5JV.jpg

No badge on the shirt. Puts it between 1966 and 1975 so looking at the fashions, I’m going 3rd Div Champions under Jimmy Armfield.