Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

You Tube Bolton Stuff

superjohnmcginlay

3 hours ago, desperado said:

One of my most significant burnden memories. We were guests of the great Sir Nat. He treated the 3 generations of our family at this game.

My pops (Grandad) took Nat to his first bwfc game, he was about 10 years older than Nat and lived next door to him on Thicketford Road. He remained friends with Nat all his life and attended his funeral in 1997.

Good to hear. Another little tale that sums up the great Nat.

We're up to early January now in postings in sequence from our Div 4 season. As ever the first weekend of the new year was the third round of the FA Cup and we'd made it there after away wins over fellow Div 4 sides Burnley and Wrexham. The draw was not very kind as BWFC were paired with Div 2 Barnsley. However a huge following turned out for the day and not all of them were on their best behaviour.

The highlight of the day was a well-taken equaliser by Ian Stevens. But Barnsley had too much for us in the end and triumphed 3-1. 

January 87 was the last month that Easy Video filmed BWFC games by late that month they stopped doing it for reasons unknown and it was to be a month or more before Roadrunner took over. A number of games were therefore never filmed. When filming did start Dave Higson transferred from one to the other and the rest is history.

Our next game at Burnden after that,  South Yorkshire police were there in force with their GMP colleagues and photographs, picking out fans who'd been a bit naughty the week before.

Great header from Stevens and scenes behind the goal.  The amount of double denim on display was a bit worrying.

We're up to early January now in postings in sequence from our Div 4 season. As ever the first weekend of the new year was the third round of the FA Cup and we'd made it there after away wins over fellow Div 4 sides Burnley and Wrexham. The draw was not very kind as BWFC were paired with Div 2 Barnsley. However a huge following turned out for the day and not all of them were on their best behaviour.

The highlight of the day was a well-taken equaliser by Ian Stevens. But Barnsley had too much for us in the end and triumphed 3-1. 

January 87 was the last month that Easy Video filmed BWFC games by late that month they stopped doing it for reasons unknown and it was to be a month or more before Roadrunner took over. A number of games were therefore never filmed. When filming did start Dave Higson transferred from one to the other and the rest is history.

this is some amazing stuff , crazy. 

bet it takes some doing. 

1million clapping emojis

the el dorado of bwfc video archives

Edited by e2e4
quote added 'correctly'

On 29/11/2020 at 12:16, paulhanley said:

Remember our headed goal like it was yesterday. We were up near the back in the middle of the goal. Although the Bolton fans were no angels that day the day stood out for being attacked by coppers, dogs and Barnsley fans. I remember that coppers helmet go flying. Wasn’t the ground half-demolished as well with barely-built stands?

On 29/11/2020 at 13:52, Duck Egg said:

Our next game at Burnden after that,  South Yorkshire police were there in force with their GMP colleagues and photographs, picking out fans who'd been a bit naughty the week before.

Great header from Stevens and scenes behind the goal.  The amount of double denim on display was a bit worrying.

Seem to think that our next actual game was away at Halifax in midweek after a postponement due to fog? Or was it foggy at the midweek game? Anyway, thoroughly miserable 0-0, with about 2K on if that. There were a lot of plod at that as well - far more than needed - maybe explained by your observation of them being at Burnden soon after 

Yes, 3 days later we played at the Shay on a rock hard, icy pitch.  Phil Neal got some stick from us whilst playing one of his rare games that season.  It was a dire game but he was unlucky to be getting stick given we'd won 3 of our previous 4 league games, and played well at Barnsley in the cup.  And course we didn't take the treacherous pitch into account!  He probably thought he didn't need to be so visible to the fans and didn't play again till the end of April.

2,663 there, about 1000 of us. 

4 hours ago, MancWanderer said:

Remember our headed goal like it was yesterday. We were up near the back in the middle of the goal. Although the Bolton fans were no angels that day the day stood out for being attacked by coppers, dogs and Barnsley fans. I remember that coppers helmet go flying. Wasn’t the ground half-demolished as well with barely-built stands?

South Yorkshire Constabulary's finest weren't known for their tolerant approach. Mix that with a load of Bolton lads on a day out against higher league opposition and you've got quite a combination. As was proved.

1 hour ago, Johnnyrotten said:

Yes, 3 days later we played at the Shay on a rock hard, icy pitch.  Phil Neal got some stick from us whilst playing one of his rare games that season.  It was a dire game but he was unlucky to be getting stick given we'd won 3 of our previous 4 league games, and played well at Barnsley in the cup.  And course we didn't take the treacherous pitch into account!  He probably thought he didn't need to be so visible to the fans and didn't play again till the end of April.

2,663 there, about 1000 of us. 

Just remember standing on a grass bank(?) and it being fucking freezing and very dark. Tiny little stand on the left hand side where the players emerged from. Like watching a game on Moss Bank Park. Met up with a couple of Halifax fans that I knew through RL. They didn’t really care about the footy as Halifax RL were doing quite well at the time. The 0-0 was a decent result for them whereas as you say Neal was getting stick for not winning every game. Funny how the mood changed as the season progressed 

9 minutes ago, paulhanley said:

South Yorkshire Constabulary's finest weren't known for their tolerant approach. Mix that with a load of Bolton lads on a day out against higher league opposition and you've got quite a combination. As was proved.

As said on other threads they were out to break a few heads in those days. Still looking for revenge from being twatted regularly in the miners strike. From what I saw that day the Barnsley fans didn’t escape lightly either

Looking back now it’s amazing to think what was going on. Such different times

18 minutes ago, MancWanderer said:

As said on other threads they were out to break a few heads in those days. Still looking for revenge from being twatted regularly in the miners strike. From what I saw that day the Barnsley fans didn’t escape lightly either

Looking back now it’s amazing to think what was going on. Such different times

I imagine if we'd spent the 80s in Div 2 instead of the lower divisions there'd be quite a few tales to tell about trips to Barnsley. Type of place that will always produce a few handy lads. Some might even join the old bill. 

By the time we got back to tier 2 in the 90s Barnsley seemed to have more of a firm rather than a few fans who could handle themselves.

On 21/11/2020 at 21:34, deane koontz said:

Been watching this guys channel today its full of Okocha clips. Cheered me up and depressed me at the same time :D

We will never see his like again ...even Ronaldinho , said he copied Jay Jay . 
I remember when we signed an unknown called Sasa Curcic , turning to me dad and saying he was the most gifted player id ever seen , me Dad just nodded and said he's a good un ....as me dad had seen Puskas live. 
But even the old man agreed , Jay-Jay was something out of this world . 
Whilst Djorkaeff was the best footballer  and I would have paid just to see him , Okocha was a trapeze artist on the pitch , and to see them all together , with heroes like Ricky , Jussi , Campo , Speed , Stelios , Nolan, Bruno.... i can honestly say I can die a happy man . What a fuckin team we had .

• Site Supporter
3 hours ago, jayjayoghani said:

Was sat near the players tunnel for the 0-0 at The Shay. The management got shit loads of abuse at full-time. 

Neal said at the time, that could be the point which sends us up at the end of the season. How right he was