Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

You Tube Bolton Stuff

superjohnmcginlay

1 hour ago, Traf said:

I thought we'd blown our chance by not seeing them off in the original tie, but without letting them back in at home, we'd never have had "that night".

Me too.  In those days, occasionally one of the big sides might get held to a draw but then give their lower league opponents a proper shoeing in the replay.

I went into Anfield that night hoping we'd at least score and not disgrace ourselves.  I'd not even sat down before I was tumbling over a couple rows after leaping up when SJMs header went in! 

3 hours ago, ZicoKelly said:

first tie is always worth a watch as well for how much we batter them in the first half

Great to see that again.  I hadn't realised how much we gave them their 2 goals - McGinlay putting Rosenthal through, Seagraves finishing it off for him, then a back pass to gift them the equaliser.  Thank God we let them back in or Anfield never happens.  If ever one game gave a club a peg up from doldrums to big time that was it.  Dave Higson getting interviews with the big names after the game too, classic stuff.

12 hours ago, Traf said:

Could watch it every day. Lee's finest hour.

Oh, for that forward line now! And ye, Cuntknapps foul on Lee could have been a leg breaker! I couldnt remember that at the time either, prob because we were 2-0 up and didnt give a shit!

28 minutes ago, Johnnyrotten said:

Great to see that again.  I hadn't realised how much we gave them their 2 goals - McGinlay putting Rosenthal through, Seagraves finishing it off for him, then a back pass to gift them the equaliser.  Thank God we let them back in or Anfield never happens.  If ever one game gave a club a peg up from doldrums to big time that was it.  Dave Higson getting interviews with the big names after the game too, classic stuff.

First time I have seen Road Runners coverage - brilliant!!!

1 hour ago, woolli said:

Oh, for that forward line now! And ye, Cuntknapps foul on Lee could have been a leg breaker! I couldnt remember that at the time either, prob because we were 2-0 up and didnt give a shit!

First time I've seen that lunge tbf.

• Moderators
2 hours ago, Johnnyrotten said:

being pedantic, Winstanley

anyway

I love how on the equaliser Dave Higson is about to say someting he shouldn't, presumably "you scaley bastards", then stops himself and says "you lucky lot" instead

a true pro

1 hour ago, ZicoKelly said:

anyway

I love how on the equaliser Dave Higson is about to say someting he shouldn't, presumably "you scaley bastards", then stops himself and says "you lucky lot" instead

a true pro

My mate who is a Huddersfield fan - loved that bit of commentary from Dave.  Almost as legendary as “they think it’s all over........“

3 hours ago, ZicoKelly said:

anyway

a true pro

Well spotted, that trusty Winny right peg!   Seagraves was the guilty party for the equaliser with that wierd back pass.

Nothing against either centre back, but a bit out of depth at that level, and we had Stubbs on the bench (and McAteer?).  Its like we didn't even play our strongest team!

• Moderators
15 minutes ago, Johnnyrotten said:

Well spotted, that trusty Winny right peg!   Seagraves was the guilty party for the equaliser with that wierd back pass.

Nothing against either centre back, but a bit out of depth at that level, and we had Stubbs on the bench (and McAteer?).  Its like we didn't even play our strongest team!

Can't find details of who was on the bench but recall that 17 year old Fowler (yet to make his debut) was on the bench for them in the replay

28 minutes ago, ZicoKelly said:

Can't find details of who was on the bench but recall that 17 year old Fowler (yet to make his debut) was on the bench for them in the replay

The 2-2 draw substitutes McAteer and Stubbs and for the replay it was Stubbs and Reeves .

For the scousers in the 2-2 it was Paul Stewart and Ronny Rosenthal , and the replay was Robbie Fowler and Don Hutchinson.

Edited by dusan nikolic

52 minutes ago, Johnnyrotten said:

Sadly when Stubbs and McAteer did play and Seagraves and Winstanley were missing we got knocked out by Derby.

first game was amazing and i thought we'd blown it. Gutted that living in London the time I couldn't get up to the midweek replay, but it was on the day of my leaving do and after a day on the sesh we ended up back in the staff club, and I didn't know the score - so I've still got photos of me celebrating, absolutely battered beyond redemption, in front of the club's tv watching the highlights. Big regret not being there (Arsenal in the Cup made up for it even though that involved getting there and back from Southampton that night) but at least I've got the photos of me soiling myself in joy, albeit from highlights.

54 minutes ago, dusan nikolic said:

Sadly when Stubbs and McAteer did play and Seagraves and Winstanley were missing we got knocked out by Derby.

Good info.  I might be imagining it but I thought Lydiate played too?  I went to Derby and we weren't at the races it felt like we'd just used up all our cup energy in the previous rounds, it was our 6th cup game, to Derby's 3rd.  In hindsight, a good game to lose, we played 7 league games in March and won 6 and still only went up by 1 point.  I don't see that happening with a big quarter final to play too.  That season was up there as one of our best ever surely.

8 minutes ago, Johnnyrotten said:

Good info.  I might be imagining it but I thought Lydiate played too?  I went to Derby and we weren't at the races it felt like we'd just used up all our cup energy in the previous rounds, it was our 6th cup game, to Derby's 3rd.  In hindsight, a good game to lose, we played 7 league games in March and won 6 and still only went up by 1 point.  I don't see that happening with a big quarter final to play too.  That season was up there as one of our best ever surely.

Yep Lydiate did play sadly  , in fairness I was loads more gutted the following season after Oldham . 

Promotion was definitely the ultimate goal that season and beating Liverpool was the topping on the cake and anything thereafter was a bonus. But for me that season is definitely up there with my favourites.

I was in full length plaster due to breaking my leg playing footie.

Ex-missus drove me up from Reading to both games.  Back seat of a fiesta was not comfy.

Margaret from the ticket office was an angel.  Parking at Burnden and seats on the subs bench for the first game and freebies for Anfield.

Thanks to the ex (except when she asked Joh Barnes if he was the bloke from the Lucozade ad) and the lovely Margaret!  Anyone remember her?

Edited by Thorpey

12 hours ago, ZicoKelly said:

first tie is always worth a watch as well for how much we batter them in the first half

For the "big Big boys" there was no such thing as squad rotation or resting players back then. I remember coming home after that match and being well pissed off that we didn't win. I was not a nice person to be around for days after that match. Happy days!

• Moderators
2 hours ago, dusan nikolic said:

The 2-2 draw substitutes McAteer and Stubbs and for the replay it was Stubbs and Reeves .

For the scousers in the 2-2 it was Paul Stewart and Ronny Rosenthal , and the replay was Robbie Fowler and Don Hutchinson.

Aye, I was 15 at the time so watched the VHS recording literally hundreds of times and i know the commentary by Stinstadt(?) Word for word - "an untried 17 year old Robbie Fowler on the bench"

• Moderators
20 minutes ago, Underpants said:

For the "big Big boys" there was no such thing as squad rotation or resting players back then. I remember coming home after that match and being well pissed off that we didn't win. I was not a nice person to be around for days after that match. Happy days!

Whilst I'd done Southampton in the lever end, which was my first game, this was my first full proper season on the BT near the away fans and was my first proper big match experience as it was Liverpool and when we scored i was literally swept off my feet as the BT went mad, ace 

Didn't get to do the replay as there was no space in my mates dad car but wolves in the next round was my first ever away game

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Johnnyrotten said:

Did Derby on the big screen beam back 

One memory of that was they kept focusing on Craig Short who looked like a hard as fuck bloke

Sort of the same with John Terry, some footballers no matter their age just look dead old and hard

• Site Supporter
11 hours ago, dusan nikolic said:

Yep Lydiate did play sadly  , in fairness I was loads more gutted the following season after Oldham . 

Oldham game was probably the first game against a Premier League club where we felt we were favourites. And to be fair, the result was down to a Mark Patterson fuck up rather than getting done by a superior team.

18 hours ago, ZicoKelly said:

Did Derby on the big screen beam back 

One memory of that was they kept focusing on Craig Short who looked like a hard as fuck bloke

Sort of the same with John Terry, some footballers no matter their age just look dead old and hard

Craig Short would rival Joe Royle in the massive head cup.  Dead hard faces - Pearce, Souness, Keane, Sheridan.  But nothing to the hard blokes that you'd come up against in Sunday league, especially when you're still in your late teens and they're early 30s with real moustaches.  I'm sure some of em only got in the team coz they looked so hard, intimidating visitors from the minute they turned up in their chevettes and sierras.  Any away win was only enjoyed once back in the car and on the road.  Great days.

11 hours ago, MickyD said:

Oldham game was probably the first game against a Premier League club where we felt we were favourites. And to be fair, the result was down to a Mark Patterson fuck up rather than getting done by a superior team.

It was a gut wrenching defeat and the manner of the goal hardly helped. 

Oldham , Tranmere ( League cup) and Stoke are all games were i was confident of winning more than Nervous of Losing , but in typical Bolton fashion we managed to fuck up royally.