Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

You Tube Bolton Stuff

superjohnmcginlay

On 30/03/2021 at 13:28, RONNIE PHILLIPS said:

Me & my mate decided to go in their brand new stand, probably a wise move 😁

Where I was with my Dad. It was my 14th birthday that day. Until someone on here pointed out that it was Nicko that scored the screamer I’d gone 40 odd years swearing blind that it was Whatmore

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, MancWanderer said:

Where I was with my Dad. It was my 14th birthday that day. Until someone on here pointed out that it was Nicko that scored the screamer I’d gone 40 odd years swearing blind that it was Whatmore

I was 15 at the time. I think I remember you mentioning this some time back 😁

26 minutes ago, RONNIE PHILLIPS said:

I was 15 at the time. I think I remember you mentioning this some time back 😁

Such a shame. Newcastle stuck 5 past them on the 7th Jan (FA Cup?) and Sunderland put 5 past them on the 21st Jan. 3 consecutive Saturdays they conceded 5 and ours was the only one not on TV!!!

6 minutes ago, MancWanderer said:

Such a shame. Newcastle stuck 5 past them on the 7th Jan (FA Cup?) and Sunderland put 5 past them on the 21st Jan. 3 consecutive Saturdays they conceded 5 and ours was the only one not on TV!!!

Before about 1986.7 very little of our history was captured on film. Unless someone provides evidence to the contrary I think there is no footage of the 1983/4 season. 

That season of the 1-5 win at Bramhall Lane (1977/78) there are some games that were filmed by the BBC and ITV that have never been shown or appeared on You Tube since the day they were shown on Match of the Day or Kick Off. The first day of that season (Burnley 0 Bolton 1) is just one example. It's a shame.

Thankfully some footage is available on You Tube including the last day v Fulham (0-0), Frank's winner v Blackburn in the famous game at Ewood, the 2-1 home wins v Luton and Blackpool, the 1-0 home win over Tottnenham and the 1-0 away win at Eastville v Bristol Rovers.

• Site Supporter
15 minutes ago, MancWanderer said:

I'd love to see that game again. Had 2 good wins there in consecutive seasons having won 3-2 previously. 

1 hour ago, paulhanley said:

Before about 1986.7 very little of our history was captured on film. Unless someone provides evidence to the contrary I think there is no footage of the 1983/4 season. 

That season of the 1-5 win at Bramhall Lane (1977/78) there are some games that were filmed by the BBC and ITV that have never been shown or appeared on You Tube since the day they were shown on Match of the Day or Kick Off. The first day of that season (Burnley 0 Bolton 1) is just one example. It's a shame.

Thankfully some footage is available on You Tube including the last day v Fulham (0-0), Frank's winner v Blackburn in the famous game at Ewood, the 2-1 home wins v Luton and Blackpool, the 1-0 home win over Tottnenham and the 1-0 away win at Eastville v Bristol Rovers.

It’s such a shame which is why I’m always grateful when you post stuff on here from the 70s and 80s. Particularly the 70s and the Armfield and Greaves eras

1 hour ago, RONNIE PHILLIPS said:

I'd love to see that game again. Had 2 good wins there in consecutive seasons having won 3-2 previously. 

Oh so would I. I went with my Dad to York away in 74 and I think that this might have been only my second ever away game. Two away wins on the trot for me. That’s the peril of being sucked in to aways following BWFC 😀

1 minute ago, Take Hunt Off said:

Yep JB , Wharton & an own goal , would have been there in the 6757 crowd .

Recognised a young Roy Greaves & the unmistakable Gareth Williams on the cine film.

Bloody hell, surely more than 6757 on. Lever looked full and good numbers in embankment, surely a tax fiddle. 

2 minutes ago, Mounts Kipper said:

Bloody hell, surely more than 6757 on. Lever looked full and good numbers in embankment, surely a tax fiddle. 

Yes weren’t too many in Burnden terrace & embankment bit deceptive with bodies in front but heyho my guesstimate would have been 8-9k , but at that time we were getting a few low ones ( next one Leicester 7219) maybe for the taxman as you say.

However my first thought on seeing the footage was ‘bloody hell not many on!