Jump to content
Wanderers Ways - passion not fashion
Sign in to follow this  
superjohnmcginlay

You Tube Bolton Stuff

Recommended Posts

23 minutes ago, Duck Egg said:

Torquay iirc just needed a point from their last 2 games.  They lost at Burnley in midweek and were playing Scunthorpe at home on the final day.  Scunthorpe beat them 2-1 & would have gone up instead if we hadn't won at Wrexham.  I think Torquay eventually came up via the play offs that year 

Sounds about right. I remember thinking we'd be stuck in that division, had to look it up, last five matches we went 3win 2 draws 0 defeats, torquay 3wins 2 losses 0 defeats, scunny 1 win 4 draws ...we were promoted by 1 point

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Continuing with uploads of our Div 4 season in sequence...
 
The shock of the 4-0 reverse at Scarborough had been slightly softened by the 2-0 Bank Holiday Monday win over Peterborough two days later. August turned to September and with a trip to Edgar Street, Hereford next on the agenda the ledger read Won 2 Drawn 1 Lost 1. 
 
Away form was not something for which Bolton had been noted for more than a decade, irrespective of which division. However the club and fans had set their sights on an immediate return to Division 3 and away form would be essential to achieving such progression.  Trips to places like Hereford therefore had to deliver results - and thankfully that proof was forthcoming on Saturday, September 5. 
 
Two of the club's five pre-season signings were strikers and they made the difference in this game. Trevor Morgan opened the scoring for the whites before a John Thomas double saw Bolton through to a comfortable 0-3 win. Comprehensive away wins were not a thing Bolton fans were used to seeing or reading about! This was the result that restored confidence after Scarborough - and 10 points from the first 5 games suddenly felt like a marker had been laid down.
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Kevin 'needs a milk crate to reach the bar' rose in goal?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, paulhanley said:
Continuing with uploads of our Div 4 season in sequence...
 
The shock of the 4-0 reverse at Scarborough had been slightly softened by the 2-0 Bank Holiday Monday win over Peterborough two days later. August turned to September and with a trip to Edgar Street, Hereford next on the agenda the ledger read Won 2 Drawn 1 Lost 1. 
 
Away form was not something for which Bolton had been noted for more than a decade, irrespective of which division. However the club and fans had set their sights on an immediate return to Division 3 and away form would be essential to achieving such progression.  Trips to places like Hereford therefore had to deliver results - and thankfully that proof was forthcoming on Saturday, September 5. 
 
Two of the club's five pre-season signings were strikers and they made the difference in this game. Trevor Morgan opened the scoring for the whites before a John Thomas double saw Bolton through to a comfortable 0-3 win. Comprehensive away wins were not a thing Bolton fans were used to seeing or reading about! This was the result that restored confidence after Scarborough - and 10 points from the first 5 games suddenly felt like a marker had been laid down.
 

 Cant believe I wasn’t at that game, scratching my head in disbelieve.... very strange. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Chants of “come on you reds” and “here we go”. Unheard of in my lifetime. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 13/06/2020 at 05:13, ZicoKelly said:

I heard he smashed his face into a urinal or a sink in the bogs at some do

It was a "team building" weekend at Mottram Hall  on an FA Cup date and we were already out. I heard it was a broken jaw with a sink. Never had that in Cluedo.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Mannyroader said:

It was a "team building" weekend at Mottram Hall  on an FA Cup date and we were already out. I heard it was a broken jaw with a sink. Never had that in Cluedo.

Aye, remember it being reported as a broken jaw

The story I heard went that it was just after Alladyce turned up so was a team building do

Browny was having a piss next to him and says something to him along the lines of "you're not going to find is so easy to get in the team now your dad's not picking it", and before he knows it his face is being repeatedly slammed into some porcelain

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, ZicoKelly said:

Aye, remember it being reported as a broken jaw

The story I heard went that it was just after Alladyce turned up so was a team building do

Browny was having a piss next to him and says something to him along the lines of "you're not going to find is so easy to get in the team now your dad's not picking it", and before he knows it his face is being repeatedly slammed into some porcelain

I heardTodd went back in as he lay on floor and started to attack him again while he was unconscious and that the players had to restrain him. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That Hereford game, 3 of us in a knackered Ford Escort that broke down en route.  Got it going only to find all the turnstiles closed by the time we got to the ground.  Bloke let's us in at the main entrance and says "your teams playing well. You're 2 up" - we couldn't believe it! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, ZicoKelly said:

 

Browny was having a piss next to him and says something to him along the lines of "you're not going to find is so easy to get in the team now your dad's not picking it", and before he knows it his face is being repeatedly slammed into some porcelain

I was told on fairly good authority that Brown had made a crack about Todd's brother, who has either learning or physical disabilities.  Todd followed him into the bogs and leathered him.

It was someone pretty close to the club that told me that and you may remember afterwards when Brown talked about legal action, Colin Todd said he was surprised that Brown would want to raise the matter again, hinting that he'd brought it on himself.  No legal action was ever taken so I've always assumed my mates tale was fairly accurate.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, BWFC_LOVE said:

Chants of “come on you reds” and “here we go”. Unheard of in my lifetime. 

I remember chanting come on you reds quite a bit around that time.  Great kit, same shade of red as the 78 promotion team as well as some before and since.  That Here We Go chant was very popular with Coventry fans when they won the cup that year and it became a fashion for a bit, it was a terrible chant and I don't recall us bothering with it much. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Aberdeen were first i heard, i think

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 16/06/2020 at 18:33, paulhanley said:

Here's the fourth game of our last basement season in 1987/88 (I posted this one on You Tube more than a year ago now)

This was an August Bank Holiday Monday game - a fixture that seems to have been removed the calendar. 

The attendance of only 3,900 illustrated the  downward turn in mood after the miserable 4-0 defeat at Scarborough on the Saturday. I was at the game and remember players and fans alike were tentative. 

The penalty, converted by John Thomas, was a nerve-settler. But the nerves came back as the second half wore on and we were still only one ahead. Steve Thompson's late second was very welcome and in the evening sunshine we trooping off the Paddock we could begin to put the Scarborough debacle behind us.Won 2 Drawn 1 Lost 1

 

I remember that game vividly.  I can remember the scoreline flattered us massively, Posh were the better team.  But our 2nd goal was real quality, Brookman looked like a cracking player there, and JT's assist was superb.  The lack of player celebration for both goals is noticeable, just running back to the centre circle, like the players dont want to know each other.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Casino said:

Aberdeen were first i heard, i think

Yeah definitely.  When they beat Real Madrid in 83 Cup Winners Cup final (that seems beyond fantasy now).   I remember City fans singing Here We Go when they were in Div 2 and it seemed really naff.  Coventry definitely adopted it by 87, amongst others.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was at that Hereford game, the only match i've seen there, & iirc it was a comfortable win.

There weren't many Bolton there..........the postponed game was more eventful !!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Johnnyrotten said:

Yeah definitely.  When they beat Real Madrid in 83 Cup Winners Cup final (that seems beyond fantasy now).   I remember City fans singing Here We Go when they were in Div 2 and it seemed really naff.  Coventry definitely adopted it by 87, amongst others.

Didn't the Jocks start it in 82 at the World Cup ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm posting up the games from our last Division 4 games in sequence. I don't have them all but, one by one, and in sequence I'll share the ones I do have mixed with games I've already posted.

Three wins and 10 points from the first five games of Bolton's 1987/8 Division 4 season represented a solid start despite the embarrassing 4-0 defeat at Scaraborough. The first away win had been recorded at Hereford (0-3) and next up were Halifax Town at Burnden. 

Captained by Phil Brown the Shaymen came to have a go at Bolton but were undone by a Gary Henshaw header in the first half and an own-goal in the second - Brown just failing to clear the ball off the line. Newly signed left midfielder Robbie Savage (£35,000 from Bradford) was in the Bolton side. Of course he was to have a very memorable moment on the final day of this season and was involved in the build-up to both goals in this match.

Won 4 Drawn 1 Lost 1 meant Bolton were close to the top of the league and it looked like an exciting season ahead. Crowds remained in the 4,000-5,000 range however and it was not to be plain sailing. A run of 1 win in 5 was to straddle late September and early October and doubts resurfaced.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, paulhanley said:

I'm posting up the games from our last Division 4 games in sequence. I don't have them all but, one by one, and in sequence I'll share the ones I do have mixed with games I've already posted.

Three wins and 10 points from the first five games of Bolton's 1987/8 Division 4 season represented a solid start despite the embarrassing 4-0 defeat at Scaraborough. The first away win had been recorded at Hereford (0-3) and next up were Halifax Town at Burnden. 

Captained by Phil Brown the Shaymen came to have a go at Bolton but were undone by a Gary Henshaw header in the first half and an own-goal in the second - Brown just failing to clear the ball off the line. Newly signed left midfielder Robbie Savage (£35,000 from Bradford) was in the Bolton side. Of course he was to have a very memorable moment on the final day of this season and was involved in the build-up to both goals in this match.

Won 4 Drawn 1 Lost 1 meant Bolton were close to the top of the league and it looked like an exciting season ahead. Crowds remained in the 4,000-5,000 range however and it was not to be plain sailing. A run of 1 win in 5 was to straddle late September and early October and doubts resurfaced.

 

Thanks Paul , another solid victory for the Whites. John Thomas seems a class above this level , he must have had a good number of assists , to go with his excellent goals return.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 21/06/2020 at 23:17, bolton va va said:

I was at that Hereford game, the only match i've seen there, & iirc it was a comfortable win.

There weren't many Bolton there..........the postponed game was more eventful !!

I was at the postponed game! Great and entertaining afternoon!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The referee for the Posh game wouldn't have stood so close to the goals for the penalty if he'd seen some of our recent efforts on goal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 21/06/2020 at 22:34, Johnnyrotten said:

Yeah definitely.  When they beat Real Madrid in 83 Cup Winners Cup final (that seems beyond fantasy now).   I remember City fans singing Here We Go when they were in Div 2 and it seemed really naff.  Coventry definitely adopted it by 87, amongst others.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, dusan nikolic said:

Thanks Paul , another solid victory for the Whites. John Thomas seems a class above this level , he must have had a good number of assists , to go with his excellent goals return.

He'd been quality at this level the season before for Preston too. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.