Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

You Tube Bolton Stuff

superjohnmcginlay

Just went on the Official Youtube channel and sorted it by "Most Popular"

Top video was a POV of goalkeeper training using a GoPro camera.

Second one however was this

November 2013. Our second season in the Championship.

Incredible how shit our team got in such a short space of time. Maybe I'm being harsh but very few of those players were anywhere near Premier League level.

Line up was:

Lonergan
McNaughton
Baptiste
Spearing
Mills
Ream
Lee
Kamara
Beckford
Ngog
Danns

Only Lee, Ream were at a good level considering we'd just spent 11 years in the top flight. Still on parachute payments. How many of those players were on extortionate wages?

Aye.  It seems every relegated side these days has a couple of marquee type players that premier league sides will pay a fortune to get hold of.  We went down with very few assets we could properly cash in on and it was more a scramble to get their wages off the books.

16 minutes ago, Duck Egg said:

Aye.  It seems every relegated side these days has a couple of marquee type players that premier league sides will pay a fortune to get hold of.  We went down with very few assets we could properly cash in on and it was more a scramble to get their wages off the books.

We'd have had a big asset in Stuart Holden had he been fit. 

Then again if he'd stayed fit the chances of a relegation would have reduced. 

There was as much bad luck as bad judgement in the actual relegation. In the Championship years thereafter bad judgement became the dominant influence 

21 minutes ago, paulhanley said:

There was as much bad luck as bad judgement in the actual relegation. In the Championship years thereafter bad judgement became the dominant influence 

True re Holden.  Our other biggest assets, Cahill and Elmander had ran their contracts down.  Ngog wasn't a wonder kid we could sell on for a profit after all and then we compounded things by shelling out big wages for far inferior replacements e.g Andrews!

• Site Supporter
3 hours ago, paulhanley said:

Johnny Evans, you’re a cunt!

I still can’t believe we took relegation to the last day in that season, we were absolutely dreadful and knackered after 60 minutes every game. No doubt through a lack of training. 

That being the case, with a fit Holden all season we’d have stayed up for sure IMO. He ran the show the previous season and papered over the cracks. Without him (and Muamba of course Coyle you utter cunt) mopping up and generally being everywhere, we got completely overran. 

• Moderators
13 hours ago, MickyD said:

No badge on the shirt. Puts it between 1966 and 1975 so looking at the fashions, I’m going 3rd Div Champions under Jimmy Armfield.

the instagram caption says:

today we are taking you back to this exact point, the moment Bolton Wanderers scored their title in the third division. A goal from Pete Nicholson and two more from Stuart Lee did the trick, the fans went wild. Bolton ended up finishing 4 points clear of runners-up Notts County and six points clear of third place Blackburn Rovers. 

1 hour ago, ZicoKelly said:

the instagram caption says:

today we are taking you back to this exact point, the moment Bolton Wanderers scored their title in the third division. A goal from Pete Nicholson and two more from Stuart Lee did the trick, the fans went wild. Bolton ended up finishing 4 points clear of runners-up Notts County and six points clear of third place Blackburn Rovers. 

Title winning game against Brentford our last game of that season 1971-72

The caption has it mixed up according to Simon Marland.

The last home game of the season that year was a 2-0 win over Brentford (Nicholson & Byrom)

The penultimate home game (the one where we secured promotion?) was a 3-0 win over York (Nicholson & Lee (2))

3 minutes ago, Duck Egg said:

The last home game of the season that year was a 2-0 win over Brentford (Nicholson & Byrom)

The penultimate home game (the one where we secured promotion?) was a 3-0 win over York (Nicholson & Lee (2))

Bonus point - In the last game of the season, who played his last ever game for the Wanderers?

• Moderators
10 hours ago, Duck Egg said:

My first two games

• Site Supporter

When I think of Charlie Wright, I always remember a great photo of him with a big cigar in his mouth and him giving the reverse 'v' peace sign.

I tried to google it but no luck. However, I did find this one...

https://3.bp.blogspot.com/_x1w9f3kXWq8/TTgoyfnn8dI/AAAAAAAACO4/2UXimFDfVWM/s1600/bolton__%2Bkeeley%2B%25282%2529%2Bcrop.jpg

• Site Supporter
4 hours ago, Steejay said:

When I think of Charlie Wright, I always remember a great photo of him with a big cigar in his mouth and him giving the reverse 'v' peace sign.

I tried to google it but no luck. However, I did find this one...

https://3.bp.blogspot.com/_x1w9f3kXWq8/TTgoyfnn8dI/AAAAAAAACO4/2UXimFDfVWM/s1600/bolton__%2Bkeeley%2B%25282%2529%2Bcrop.jpg

That is so much better than Charlie Wright with or without a cigar and V sign reversed or not.