Wanderers Ways - passion not fashion

You Tube Bolton Stuff

8 hours ago, Biggish Dave said:

Did we beat Plymouth 7-2 that season or was that 1 season either side? Didn’t their goalkeeper end up playing outfield in that game? Crudgington I think he was called

Yes that was 84/5 - our first win of the season at the sixth attempt. Pretty much 12 months on from beating Walsall 8-1 in 83/4!

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The origin of the Lever End ha, ha, ha ha song..........    

I feel a bit better about posting games from our previous Div 4 season now we've won a game in the current one. Although the point in 87/88 season we've reached actually means this post is an FA Cup t

Posted Images

Back to postings of our Div 4 season in 87.88 and we've reached New Year's Day. A win over Stockport on Dec 28 meant we'd won 11 drawn 6 and lost 7 and started to get the promotion wagon on track again after a dodgy late November and early December. Next up was Scarborough at Burnden and the chance for revenge after the 4-0 away defeat in the third game of the season.

The Yorkshiremen turned up with a familiar face in goal - Jim "Seamus" McDonagh. This was a decade since our promotion season under Ian Greaves and he was very much towards the end of his career. 

In wind and often heavy rain the whites won 3-1 despite conceding an equaliser from the spot. Mark Came, John Thomas and Steve Thompson with yet another free kick bagged the goals. 

With 1988 under way we'd played 25 games and we were back in the mix at the top end of the league but with 7 defeats recorded we had little leeway for further slip-ups if we were to finish in the top three and get automatic promotion

Cheers Paul.

It was shocking weather that afternoon. I have a memory of Paul Atkinson,a loanee from Oldham, either playing or being announced as a signing that day.

Did Felgate ever save a penalty?  All the ones I can recall from that era, he seems to flop aimlessly to the opposite side of where the ball is going. 

1 hour ago, Duck Egg said:

Cheers Paul.

It was shocking weather that afternoon. I have a memory of Paul Atkinson,a loanee from Oldham, either playing or being announced as a signing that day.

Did Felgate ever save a penalty?  All the ones I can recall from that era, he seems to flop aimlessly to the opposite side of where the ball is going. 

I don't think he did! I can't bring any to mind.

Atkinson was the season before (86/7) and he didn't last long despite looking a cut above what we had. This was of course in the days before daft things like transfer windows were brought in.

One of my most significant burnden memories. We were guests of the great Sir Nat. He treated the 3 generations of our family at this game.

My pops (Grandad) took Nat to his first bwfc game, he was about 10 years older than Nat and lived next door to him on Thicketford Road. He remained friends with Nat all his life and attended his funeral in 1997.

3 hours ago, desperado said:

One of my most significant burnden memories. We were guests of the great Sir Nat. He treated the 3 generations of our family at this game.

My pops (Grandad) took Nat to his first bwfc game, he was about 10 years older than Nat and lived next door to him on Thicketford Road. He remained friends with Nat all his life and attended his funeral in 1997.

Good to hear. Another little tale that sums up the great Nat.

We're up to early January now in postings in sequence from our Div 4 season. As ever the first weekend of the new year was the third round of the FA Cup and we'd made it there after away wins over fellow Div 4 sides Burnley and Wrexham. The draw was not very kind as BWFC were paired with Div 2 Barnsley. However a huge following turned out for the day and not all of them were on their best behaviour.

The highlight of the day was a well-taken equaliser by Ian Stevens. But Barnsley had too much for us in the end and triumphed 3-1. 

January 87 was the last month that Easy Video filmed BWFC games by late that month they stopped doing it for reasons unknown and it was to be a month or more before Roadrunner took over. A number of games were therefore never filmed. When filming did start Dave Higson transferred from one to the other and the rest is history.

Our next game at Burnden after that,  South Yorkshire police were there in force with their GMP colleagues and photographs, picking out fans who'd been a bit naughty the week before.

Great header from Stevens and scenes behind the goal.  The amount of double denim on display was a bit worrying.

We're up to early January now in postings in sequence from our Div 4 season. As ever the first weekend of the new year was the third round of the FA Cup and we'd made it there after away wins over fellow Div 4 sides Burnley and Wrexham. The draw was not very kind as BWFC were paired with Div 2 Barnsley. However a huge following turned out for the day and not all of them were on their best behaviour.

The highlight of the day was a well-taken equaliser by Ian Stevens. But Barnsley had too much for us in the end and triumphed 3-1. 

January 87 was the last month that Easy Video filmed BWFC games by late that month they stopped doing it for reasons unknown and it was to be a month or more before Roadrunner took over. A number of games were therefore never filmed. When filming did start Dave Higson transferred from one to the other and the rest is history.

this is some amazing stuff , crazy. 

bet it takes some doing. 

1million clapping emojis

the el dorado of bwfc video archives

Edited by e2e4
quote added 'correctly'
  • Site Supporter
9 hours ago, jayjayoghani said:

Thing is I thought him a good keeper at the time. These videos don't paint a great picture do they. 

Nor did the train journey home from Southampton.