Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

You Tube Bolton Stuff

superjohnmcginlay

1 hour ago, Burndens Bogs said:

We hadn't yet dropped to the old 4th division - so there was a bit more grimness to come.

When you see scenes like that it makes you realise what could have been in the 80s following on from a comparitively successful 70s

20 hours ago, BoltonBoy80 said:

Fooking hell!!!!

What a gold dust video that is!!!

brilliant nostalgic footage

amazing to see the fans what a following we had in those days 

20 hours ago, BoltonBoy80 said:

12 hours ago, paulhanley said:

Must be 3000 in the away end and another 1,000 in the home end! 

The vast majority of our away support back then was young lads/pissed up young men.

Look how sterile the game has become since grounds became all seated and flat dicks started turning up! :D

Edited by Burndens Bogs

I've had no time to do any video work since Monday. I will get the Wigan home game from the 1986 Freight Rover Trophy up ASAP. In the meantime here's somebody else's work. Have any of you seen this before? Bolton 2 Brentford 0 on the last day of 1972/3. Apologies if its already been posted. It's three years before my times watching Bolton but a brilliant (if silent) capture of the day Bolton clinched the Division 3 title in 1973. Filmed from the Burnden Paddock with a full looking Embankment. Both goals  are shown. Towards the end there's some footage of Jimmy Armfield amidst all of the celebrations. Brilliant stuff! 

this isn't really a video , but i wanna put it here incase i forget it. and its kind of interesting. it might have been mentioned on here before. seems familiar. 

https://spartacus-educational.com/BOLTONwestwoodR.htm

the cigarette cards are kind of cool , too. 

At last managed to get together Bolton 2 Wigan 1 from the northern final of the Freight Rover in May 1986. An 8 minute video - all the goals and then the pitch invasion at the end. Classic stuff. Gate was 12,500 - looks like more to me even with Wigan's dismal following. There are a couple of glimpes of the Manny Road North terrace and stand lads in their full pomp here. Can't have been too often that such scenes were filmed.

22 minutes ago, Wullie said:

Just watching the end bit with the wigan "lads" coming down to the front on the terrace after a couple of Bolton went over there, I can say that they weren't too eager to do that outside after

Their poxy mob didn’t even turn up until just before half time, wankers,the lot of them.

8 minutes ago, miamiwhite said:

Their poxy mob didn’t even turn up until just before half time, wankers,the lot of them.

On the full video of the match you can see their fans sheepishly drifting across the Embankment in dribs and drabs long after kick off. They must have been letting them in from the Embankment turnstiles next to the Manny Road rather than behind the Embankment itself. Anyway - camera never lies!

1 minute ago, paulhanley said:

On the full video of the match you can see their fans sheepishly drifting across the Embankment in dribs and drabs long after kick off. They must have been letting them in from the Embankment turnstiles next to the Manny Road rather than behind the Embankment itself. Anyway - camera never lies!

Exactly mate, I remember it well.

Having spoken to a few of their lads over the years, they admitted they didn’t fancy it and could only muster poxy numbers and their train arrived after kick off, says it all :D

1 minute ago, miamiwhite said:

Exactly mate, I remember it well.

Having spoken to a few of their lads over the years, they admitted they didn’t fancy it and could only muster poxy numbers and their train arrived after kick off, says it all :D

I can remember Blackpool going in for this "arrive late" performance as well. Generally to the sound of "who the fucking hell are you" powering across the airwaves from the Manny Road terrace. Intimidating for the poor souls.

Just now, paulhanley said:

I can remember Blackpool going in for this "arrive late" performance as well. Generally to the sound of "who the fucking hell are you" powering across the airwaves from the Manny Road terrace. Intimidating for the poor souls.

Haha, I was just thinking the same too mate :D

Wigan were a dirty set of bastards too. Methven, Barrow and Walsh (?) who used to kick lumps out of every fecker. I noticed Barrow having a pop at Neal in that clip.

I was hoping to spot a 17 year old me running onto the pitch from the paddock but alas, no. Wigan missed out on promotion the same night. We didn't half give them some stick that night!

If they’d beaten us that night their fans would have got absolutely passed. They wouldn’t have come out of the away end. 

Incredible scenes and huge passion from our support. Nothing better than a loud rocking burnden. 

One scary place for an away fan in its day. 

Of all the old videos of Bolton games I've got, this is my favourite. Roadrunner's predecessor, Easy Video, started filming Bolton games at the start of 1986 - so the second half of 85/6 onwards until Roadrunner took over in about February 1988. For some reason Bolton 1 Wigan 0 in 1984/5 was filmed in isolation (as was Bolton 1 Rotherham 1 on the first day of 85/6). No commentary - just a great atmosphere created by 6,000 fans. This is proper old school Burnden much as it was from the late 1970s. This is action from the first half of the game. The sounds of the Manny Road/Burnden Paddock come through quite well and the favourite song of the day seems to be "We're on the march with Charlie's Army - we're all going to Wembley". We were knocked out of the Freight Rover by Mansfield at home soon after. 

This is our first ever home win against Wigan. Things to look out for on the pitch include a missed sitter by Wayne Foster and a powerful shot from Jeff Chandler. Off the pitch it's interesting to see the Burnden Paddock suddenly burst in to a chant of "Manny Road, Manny Road". Clearly the Manny Road North lads getting up to no good at one stage. 

There are some Bolton players here of whom there'll be very little on film. Full team is  Keeper: Simon Farnworth; Defence Brian Borrows, Ian Bailey (player who came on loan to BWFC several times), Ray Deakin and a young Jimmy Phillips. Two full-backs at centre-back there with McElihinney, Valentine and Came all absent for whatever reason. Midfield is Warren Joyce, Steve Thompson and Simon Rudge. Out wide is Jeff Chandler and Wayne Foster and George Oghani are up front. Tony Caldwell is on the bench. For Wigan a very long haired Tony Kelly is prominent. 

I'll get the second half up as soon as I can. Enjoy this Saturday afternoon from April 1985.

On 28/06/2019 at 18:51, paulhanley said:

I've had no time to do any video work since Monday. I will get the Wigan home game from the 1986 Freight Rover Trophy up ASAP. In the meantime here's somebody else's work. Have any of you seen this before? Bolton 2 Brentford 0 on the last day of 1972/3. Apologies if its already been posted. It's three years before my times watching Bolton but a brilliant (if silent) capture of the day Bolton clinched the Division 3 title in 1973. Filmed from the Burnden Paddock with a full looking Embankment. Both goals  are shown. Towards the end there's some footage of Jimmy Armfield amidst all of the celebrations. Brilliant stuff! 

Fantastic footage, my first season was the next season, wonderful to see the embankment in its full splendour and full, must have be 10,000 on the embankment alone.

Just checked and the attendance that day was 21,646, think that’s questionable, looks many more to me, back then we always questioned the actual attendances figures and this looks like one for someone’s retirement fund. 

Edited by Mounts Kipper