Jump to content
Wanderers Ways - passion not fashion
Sign in to follow this  
superjohnmcginlay

You Tube Bolton Stuff

Recommended Posts

Was there something like a combined crowd of 150,000 for all 3 games ? That what I was told in the pub last night by someone who went all 3 or is it just poor memory on is part . 

Edited by Farnywhite

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Farnywhite said:

Was there something like a combined crowd of 150,000 for all 3 games ? That what I was told in the pub last night by someone who went all 3 or is it just poor memory on is part . 

 Nearer 140k which is still pretty good. I went to Burnden and Leeds. 3-3 at Burnden one of the best games I have seen on there. 2 class goals from Super Mac.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, paulhanley said:

Well, well - never seen that before. A little before my time, but what an occasion it must have been. Didn't we have a second replay at the Hawthorns one year as well?

Fulham

It was the second replay, first replay was at burnden, where we equalied from 40 yards after about 100 minutes

Bobby moore, who was never ever sent off, oh no, was sent off

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mannyroader said:

 Nearer 140k which is still pretty good. I went to Burnden and Leeds. 3-3 at Burnden one of the best games I have seen on there. 2 class goals from Super Mac.

I also only did the 2

The newcastle one was main game on sportsnight

I watched it as live and it was a pretty uneventful 0 0 with siddall motm

 

 

As for the game at leeds, pretty sure macdonald was announced as injured and i was convinced at that point we would win

Replaced by somebody called cannell who i never heard of again

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Casino said:

Fulham

It was the second replay, first replay was at burnden, where we equalied from 40 yards after about 100 minutes

Bobby moore, who was never ever sent off, oh no, was sent off

Yes I've heard about that from my Dad. Apparently had a big strop at the ref.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Casino said:

Fulham

It was the second replay, first replay was at burnden, where we equalied from 40 yards after about 100 minutes

Bobby moore, who was never ever sent off, oh no, was sent off

The 2nd replay at the Hawthorns was v Cardiff, Bolton took a few thousand & Cardiff about 1 coach, it snowed & we won.

The 2nd replay v Fulham was at St Andrews, where Bolton took a lot more supporters than Flum but Birmingham fans turned on Bolton after the game. I think we won that one as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fair enough  :)

was cardiff earlier than fulham?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Casino said:

I also only did the 2

The newcastle one was main game on sportsnight

I watched it as live and it was a pretty uneventful 0 0 with siddall motm

 

 

As for the game at leeds, pretty sure macdonald was announced as injured and i was convinced at that point we would win

Replaced by somebody called cannell who i never heard of again

Paul Cannell. I work with his niece. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cardiff was prior to Fulham by a few years .Stuart Lee scored the only goal it snowed & the attendance was 6 thou & summat.

Oh & the ref was the eccentric Robert Kirkpatrick always pretty good to us though .Those were the days.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, White on Tyne said:

Roger? I bet his head got cold. 

Aye thats the one with big sideburns as well.Not Robert .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 15/02/2020 at 08:06, paulhanley said:

Well, well - never seen that before. A little before my time, but what an occasion it must have been. Didn't we have a second replay at the Hawthorns one year as well?

Newcastle at Leeds would be the nearest Bolton got to one of the old skool FA Cup semi finals since we actually reached them in the 50s.By 2000 the occasion had been killed when they had been moved to Wembley.Late 50s there was a replay with Preston at Ewood Park, that would have been a good one

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As a kid getting into the wanderers mid 70s, 1958 seemed forever ago

In reality, it's the blink of an eye

Its also a reminder of how we are very up and down

Its nowt new

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

At the time of Neal's tenure I thought he was crap .I even wrote to the local rag calling for his resignation. He didnt have that extra gravitas of Rioch nor could he manipulate the board in the way Bruce did.In retrospect I was out of order Phil Neal improved our squad year on year but it was a gradual process which in those days I didnt have the patience for

The parallels with then & now are similar so all those nobheads on twitter are me thirty odd years ago !

Wrong fuckin thread 

Edited by Take Hunt Off

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Casino said:

As a kid getting into the wanderers mid 70s, 1958 seemed forever ago

In reality, it's the blink of an eye

Its also a reminder of how we are very up and down

Its nowt new

This is my argument with lads my own son's age. They think Bolton are a Premier League team which has gone off the boil for a few years. 

Far from it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, MickyD said:

This is my argument with lads my own son's age. They think Bolton are a Premier League team which has gone off the boil for a few years. 

Far from it.

I was thinking about this on Saturday.  I see a group of lads who walk to every home game. They're probably all aged around 14-16 and will have no, or very little, memory of us as a premier league team.  Poor buggers. They've seen almost nothing but a downward spiral

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Duck Egg said:

I was thinking about this on Saturday.  I see a group of lads who walk to every home game. They're probably all aged around 14-16 and will have no, or very little, memory of us as a premier league team.  Poor buggers. They've seen almost nothing but a downward spiral

Exactly my lad 15, had it really bad, one of his first memories was on my shoulders walking up Wembley way for the Stoke Semi, he is still scarred to this day. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not You Tube related, but interesting to see the North West BBC News report on Harry Gregg tonight.  They showed a few clips of him playing at a packed Burnden, good clips of Embankment and Burnden Paddock with the massive Pack Horse Hotel advert.  I think it was an FA Cup Semi as we werent the opponents.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Johnnyrotten said:

Not You Tube related, but interesting to see the North West BBC News report on Harry Gregg tonight.  They showed a few clips of him playing at a packed Burnden, good clips of Embankment and Burnden Paddock with the massive Pack Horse Hotel advert.  I think it was an FA Cup Semi as we werent the opponents.

Must have been 1966 semi Everton v MU which Everton won 1-0 .I was there on the embankment 20k on there scary as fook .Everton fans had the Great Lever End & had a large ‘red arrow Indian’bouncing around (effigy) I hasten to add that although neutral I was rooting for the scousers even though sectioned with the stretford rags.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That's the one.  Amazing to think you could go to a semi final at Burnden in those days between 2 huge clubs.  If it was now tickets would only go to S/T holders of either club, in those days I get the impression it was every man for himself, as S/Ts and memberships werent really a thing.  Must have been a great atmosphere, love those 50s and 60s clips of Burnden packed out.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The ‘locals’ got a 20k ticket allocation believe it or not.My old fella watched the Whites but also used to go to Goodison  now & again .Strange as it sounds it was quite usual to go watch other teams then.

Went to the other & last semi at Burnden Leeds v MU. in 1971 sold programmes to get in .Again the rags lost to a Billy Bremner single goal .Again a 20k local allocation .Quite obvious were the local loyalties lay when Leeds scored.Watched from Manny rd north 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, Johnnyrotten said:

That's the one.  Amazing to think you could go to a semi final at Burnden in those days between 2 huge clubs.  If it was now tickets would only go to S/T holders of either club, in those days I get the impression it was every man for himself, as S/Ts and memberships werent really a thing.  Must have been a great atmosphere, love those 50s and 60s clips of Burnden packed out.

 

Great footage. Another remarkable thing about Gregg and his fellow keepers in those days, none of them wore gloves.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Take Hunt Off said:

The ‘locals’ got a 20k ticket allocation believe it or not.My old fella watched the Whites but also used to go to Goodison  now & again .Strange as it sounds it was quite usual to go watch other teams then.

Went to the other & last semi at Burnden Leeds v MU. in 1971 sold programmes to get in .Again the rags lost to a Billy Bremner single goal .Again a 20k local allocation .Quite obvious were the local loyalties lay when Leeds scored.Watched from Manny rd north 

Great info.  I imagine a high proportion of those 20k either went to United/EFC fans in the first place, or were sold on the black market, that would have been a nice profit.  Cant easily find footage of the Leeds-Man U semi, it must have been a draw as the Billy Bremner goal was in the replay at Forest.

I know it was usual to watch other teams.  People would go to watch Stan Matthews or Jimmy Greaves if he was playing local at Bolton or Blackpool, crowds would be huge for some games and small a week later when there was no 'star' attraction.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Johnnyrotten said:

Great info.  I imagine a high proportion of those 20k either went to United/EFC fans in the first place, or were sold on the black market, that would have been a nice profit.  Cant easily find footage of the Leeds-Man U semi, it must have been a draw as the Billy Bremner goal was in the replay at Forest.

I know it was usual to watch other teams.  People would go to watch Stan Matthews or Jimmy Greaves if he was playing local at Bolton or Blackpool, crowds would be huge for some games and small a week later when there was no 'star' attraction.

Bremner scored at Burnden.. 1-0Leeds

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, RONNIE PHILLIPS said:

Bremner scored at Burnden.. 1-0Leeds

Absolutely our fans went wild 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.