Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Non League Chatter

leigh white

• 2 weeks later...

I went to Chorley today to watch Connor hall against Barnet.

it was a lacklustre performance by Chorley and he received very little supply tho on another day he might have scored a couple as he was only inches away from connecting with a header and a cross.

he put in 100% effort for little reward. I think he’s the kind of player that defenders enjoy marking , he needs to drop deeper to receive the ball if it’s not going his way, or maybe move across the pitch to loosen the shackles.

ok, I’m judging him on one performance but I don’t think he’s part of the answer to our goal scoring problems either this season or next. 

• 2 weeks later...

Connor Hall grabbed his third goal in 6 games and was awarded motm for Chorley after a workmanlike performance against Chesterfield, who incidentally brought about 200 fans! 

He plays off the shoulder of the last defender, that seems to be his natural game, he’s looking for through balls to race on to, that’s how all his 3 goals have been scored.

Chorley play so narrow, no wonder they can’t score, everything is down the middle, the ball is launched into the box regularly from the half way line, not from the by-line, so the full backs can tuck in so Connor doesn’t get as much room as he might do in a conventional set up.

He’s looking for the midfielders to feed the ball through the eye of a needle for him to race on to, that’s how it seems, so obviously he isn’t getting much service. 

When he did get a chance he took it superbly, cracking finish from a quickly taken free kick.

if he can keep it up til the end of the season then there may be teams with a more suitable style sniffing.

anyone else any thoughts? 

1 hour ago, Ruba Mustafa said:

Connor Hall grabbed his third goal in 6 games and was awarded motm for Chorley after a workmanlike performance against Chesterfield, who incidentally brought about 200 fans! 

Chesterfield are another cautionary tale from a BWFC point of view having played them the other year in the league and now they're in serious danger of dropping to Conference North

I had a passing thought of going to Barrow v Wrexham & it seems they had over 3000 on last week & expect similar tomorrow.

Just looked,  & every National League club average over 500. ( Boreham Wood are lowest, which is a bit odd seeing how they're in a play off position !! )

1 minute ago, Sweep said:

If Bolton don't play, are there many people who go watching jumpers for goalposts football instead?

I've tried to watch my local non league team a couple of times and I just can't get into it at all.

I’m just going for a catch up with a few lads & cheap beer, doubt I will watch much of it 

2 hours ago, radcliffewhite1 said:

Pitches or this bloody virus? 

Radcliffe still on 

Gainsborough player self-isolating. Stafford played Gainsborough midweek so now can't play anyone in case they've got the virus from the Gainsborough player. Ended up being quite a few off because of similar sequences.

1 hour ago, Sweep said:

Surely it's not £9 to watch Radcliffe Borough is it?

Not the most expensive in the league by some distance. Colls the cheapest at £8. Ashton United and FC United both £12. Stalybridge a tenner. To be honest I don’t find it to be bad value when you consider some Conference clubs two leagues above charge £20+