Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Non League Chatter

leigh white

11 hours ago, Ghana White said:

Match today bit better, I'd say 80% wearing masks and some social distancing.. official league attendance 150.. there was 300 there.  Hopefully get to keep season going with masks and 150 in.. bit worried if club can afford it though

Who you go watching mate?

announcer at Radcliffe had to send a few messages out to move crowds from the bar areas yesterday

Watching stockton town in Teesside, feel sorry for them, grounds not designed for big crowds yet but been victim of own success. They were getting 800 at some games last year.. they're pretty shrewd they've started showing games in the clubhouse for people who cant get into the ground and were selling masks yesterday that loads were buying. Not sure what happens if 150 gets enforced they've got over 220 season ticket holders 

• 3 weeks later...

Colls 1 Ashton Utd 0

You know it’s all set for a good game when the first 10 minutes bring a missed penalty, a red card, a mass brawl and one of those classic disallowed goals when the players are celebrating (against their old club, no less) for ages before they realise it’s been chalked off. 

Cracking game all round and a quality winning goal just topped it off 👍 Up the Colls

A cracking game on Colls tonight watched by a crowd of 420, Colls beat Ashton United -managed by former manager Cleggy, 1-0. It was a tense affair with a ten man brawl at one point, Ashton had a player sent off, Colls missed a penalty, 

First time out for weeks and I'm glad i made the effort

13 minutes ago, Carlos said:

Where does this leave Scouse clubs then as they technically shouldn't be leaving Scouseland? Will AFC Liverpool go to Penistone? Will Newton Aycliffe go to Lower Breck? Shildon to Bootle? Etc.

I'm not sure? Is it law or is it public health advice not to leave the area? I think its advised not to attend sporting events so they could do it I suppose. Woild look terrible if an outbreak came from a match were they had done that though

• Site Supporter
20 minutes ago, Carlos said:

Where does this leave Scouse clubs then as they technically shouldn't be leaving Scouseland? Will AFC Liverpool go to Penistone? Will Newton Aycliffe go to Lower Breck? Shildon to Bootle? Etc.

And do Penistone or Lower Breck want to host them?

• Moderators

I made this point when I went to Grantham the other week to film our game, if they'd provide their footage to us then I've no need to go from the Covid capital of the UK to a low infection area. But clubs are obtuse, maybe thought we were pulling a fast one.

Credit to Stafford Rangers for not taking up their (90) allocation this weekend, encouraging people to not travel.

4 minutes ago, MickyD said:

And do Penistone or Lower Breck want to host them?

Lower Brek is in Anfield but I take your point be interesting to see what happens. I can't remember the full story but olly baylis said that In the fa cup a team said they couldn't play due to covid but then changed their mind so the hosting team said hang on I thought your squad had covid so refused to play, not sure how that panned out.

"You should try to avoid travelling outside the very-high alert level area you are in or entering a very-high alert level area" is the typically vague advice from Government when in comes to travel in tier 3 areas. Even then, organised sport is allowed to continue and in reality visiting teams will be facing very little risk given the hoops that clubs have had to jump through in order to host games. 

However, the loss of income from clubhouses being closed in tier 3 areas and the risk of local councils - again, not the Government - deciding that games should be behind closed doors might see their arms forced a little and try to push their home games until later in the season, while the other clubs concentrate on getting as many fixtures fulfilled as possible.

I don't think there will be a blanket suspension of the non-league season and rather it'll be treated on a case by case basis, if nothing else to appease clubs who are in lesser affected areas.