Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Non League Chatter

leigh white

4 hours ago, radcliffewhite1 said:

I see the league are in talks with the fa about having supporters back even though we’re in t3, think the rule only applies to elite sport 

Let me know when you hear about Radcliffe mate.  See if we can squeeze 8 pints in next time 

9 hours ago, radcliffewhite1 said:

I see the league are in talks with the fa about having supporters back even though we’re in t3, think the rule only applies to elite sport 

There is a big meeting on Tuesday with all of our level (Northern Prem, Southern Prem, Isthmian League) with all the chairmen, they are to vote on whether to split the leagues in two and play 20 or 28 games or scrap the season all together, it is that much of a stark reality now, we simply cannot operate on behind closed doors and the government will not cover our costs for staging games, and when you think some teams expenditure is at least double what we spend, there is no way can the leagues continue with no fans

3 minutes ago, athywhite1958 said:

There is a big meeting on Tuesday with all of our level (Northern Prem, Southern Prem, Isthmian League) with all the chairmen, they are to vote on whether to split the leagues in two and play 20 or 28 games or scrap the season all together, it is that much of a stark reality now, we simply cannot operate on behind closed doors and the government will not cover our costs for staging games, and when you think some teams expenditure is at least double what we spend, there is no way can the leagues continue with no fans

I thought some funding was given by the government or maybe It didn’t go down far enough? Potential disaster for many clubs 

14 hours ago, Ruba Mustafa said:

Chorley just beat Peterborough 2-1 to get into the third round of the fa cup!

A trademark opening goal by Connor hall as he nipped in behind Mark beavers to score from an angle.

lets hope they get a great draw in the next round.

Great win for Chorley, like you I hope they get a good draw 

On 28/11/2020 at 20:02, athywhite1958 said:

We need summat like £1500 per week to put  a game on, some teams need at least double that due to high players wages, the government will not pay it 

What is the biggest outgoing at that level? for a normal club. 

• Moderators

People’s budgets are thrown about and you hear all sorts of figures, there’s a team in our league that we beat (and who were awful) I was told were spending 7K a week.

South Shields can pay enough for lads to stay up there a few days a week, Jason Gilchrist is a Scouser for example. Random stab in the dark is he’s on a grand a week, possibly more.

On the other hand, many clubs have ongoing financial issues but can attract people because of their stature, Hyde United, FC United etc.

I’d say 5 grand a week isn’t far off the average wage bill in the Northern Prem. Colls can’t see that from where they are.

There’s a lot of deluded folk who think they should be in the league, ask them which league club they think they are bigger than, you’d have a very short list!

2 minutes ago, Carlos said:

People’s budgets are thrown about and you hear all sorts of figures, there’s a team in our league that we beat (and who were awful) I was told were spending 7K a week.

South Shields can pay enough for lads to stay up there a few days a week, Jason Gilchrist is a Scouser for example. Random stab in the dark is he’s on a grand a week, possibly more.

On the other hand, many clubs have ongoing financial issues but can attract people because of their stature, Hyde United, FC United etc.

I’d say 5 grand a week isn’t far off the average wage bill in the Northern Prem. Colls can’t see that from where they are.

There’s a lot of deluded folk who think they should be in the league, ask them which league club they think they are bigger than, you’d have a very short list!

Them figures are embarrassing for jumpers for goalposts.

How are they sustainable even in normal times. I know had lad who was playing regional conference on £900 a week 10 years plus ago. Left Brentford for it as it was more money.

• Moderators

You have to look at each club individually, South Shields are (or were!) getting crowd of 2k+, they can well afford it, not a problem. They aren't walking the league so brought in Jack Hindle from Barrow. All of Colls frontline came from clubs in the North West Counties! If you are hell bent on getting out of the league, this would appear to be the most cost effective year to do it. Most clubs have multi-millionaires at the helm, but still lack of revenue will be hurting.

I think that this lockdown will cause a massive overhaul myself, I'm on the outside of the club, haven't got a scooby doo what's going on, the league haven't communicated anything whatsoever. It's a shambles.They are busy wanking over Marine's success (and well done to them), you can't keep the punters entirely in the dark, feeding them shit. I'd rather watch Bolton on iFollow than watch a league that may or not get played to completion. I suspect I'm not alone on that front.

Edited by Carlos

• Moderators

I had an email this morning off the west lancs league saying if the rules dont change about the travelling between tiers, they wont be able to finish another season. 
We dont have floodlights, so we can only play at weekend during this time of year.

I can see it being knocked on the head very soon. 
At a higher level where players get paid, they need to have a look at themselves. Especially in the counties.

• Moderators

Obviously everyone has fixed costs, doubt there's many under contract in the Counties so it's pay as you play. Once you go up a league, there's contracts, £x per week, if there's no get out clauses then clubs are spunking money out with zero coming in.

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, tomski said:

I went to watch Chorley once on an Easter Monday when we weren’t playing. Some big game. It was gash and we went to the pub after an hour which I should of done an hour earlier.

Spot on

How many of us actually care about the football?

The result, definitely

But one nil to the wanderers could never be matched by some six five jfg

• Moderators
4 hours ago, Carlos said:

Obviously everyone has fixed costs, doubt there's many under contract in the Counties so it's pay as you play. Once you go up a league, there's contracts, £x per week, if there's no get out clauses then clubs are spunking money out with zero coming in.

See how many play for zero cash 👀

• Moderators

Laburnum have only played 2 league games, if it's a bad winter, even if it isn't, pitches won't handle being cut up twice a week then a shorter summer break to recover. You aren't getting all them games in, end of.

Play the games and stream them, you may get some new fans, who knows. Knocking it on the head whilst Prem games are on tele is suicidal imo. It's a massive challenge, some clubs will come out of it better than others.