Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Non League Chatter

leigh white

• Moderators

The government don't have a pressing deadline on this, the NPL do, and get paid to manage it accordingly. Beyond null and void it again, what could they possibly have in their heads? Start up again in Aug/Sept from where we left off? Beyond that, fuck knows! Either way, you have to communicate this to the paying public, surely?

2 hours ago, Carlos said:

The government don't have a pressing deadline on this, the NPL do, and get paid to manage it accordingly. Beyond null and void it again, what could they possibly have in their heads? Start up again in Aug/Sept from where we left off? Beyond that, fuck knows! Either way, you have to communicate this to the paying public, surely?

So much of it will be dictated by other leagues, so there’s not a lot they can do until the National League commit one way or another. And they won’t commit until the EFL do. And they’re waiting for the Premier League. And they’re waiting for UEFA. Etc. 

• Moderators

Isthmian have already voted to continue their pause, NPL went rogue in sanctioning games.

National League is “elite” so may finish their season, someone (Blyth) are getting a fucking massive reprieve.

It’s a clusterfuck.

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Leyther_Matt said:

So much of it will be dictated by other leagues, so there’s not a lot they can do until the National League commit one way or another. And they won’t commit until the EFL do. And they’re waiting for the Premier League. And they’re waiting for UEFA. Etc. 

They did last time though

1 hour ago, Horwich said:

They did last time though

Their hand was forced on that one by Conference North pushing for elite status. Bullet dodged to say the least on that front. This time, however, the big spenders will be insisting on a team being promoted so that means finishing in line with the leagues above. 

NPL games postponed up to 12th January now, albeit that’s only one extra game for Colls than what was already off. 

• Moderators

There seems to be a commitment to giving clubs 14 days notice of a restart. But the way this is being implemented is a rolling cancellation of games up to and including... So at the very least, in the next couple days the games on the 16th will be knocked on the head too I expect. The 12th thing was a knee jerk reaction.

Emley boss saying leagues should just play half a season, seems best solution at step 5 and 6, form new northern league at step 4 and have no relegation as teams just replace clubs who have gone up. Higher up though clubs will be getting lawyers involved if relegated I guess. Should never  have cancelled last season, was obvious pandemic wasnt over.

• Moderators

With local leagues, sure, have a knock up and get 20 games played in some sort of Covid Cup.

Northern Prem, Colls have got Basford from Nottinghamshire as next home game. Clearly you can't have that in the current climate.

We've played in Lincolnshire already. Absolute fucking madness. Those games should have been locked down, essential staff only, played in a bubble as much as is possible, home fans only. Football has played its part in this situation we currently find ourselves in. Watching back the first games of the season, people packed together, like the message never got through. Stafford Rangers away was like Bolton v Wolves with them spitting at our players. Unreal!

Yep matches I went too have had zero social distancing with big groups of people stood together who must live in a commune if they're in the same bubble.. I backed the 150 capacity as gave chance to find a space, i was fine but people still stood in big groups then they're all moaning when its cancelled.. I was hoping by easter would be able to play fixtures with reduced capacities and covid controlled club houses.. looking at news today though not sure now. Vase match I went to couple of weeks ago was still the same and bloke selling programs telling people "you dont have to wear masks today"

• Moderators

Folk from Scarborough were unreal. Utter fucking madness given their council wouldn't let them play home games. It's easy to criticise, but you can't complain if the season is cancelled if you were happy to take whatever money you could, ignoring the consequences. 150 in theory, or even 300, spread around. Not one club had the bollocks to say home fans only.

19 minutes ago, Carlos said:

Folk from Scarborough were unreal. Utter fucking madness given their council wouldn't let them play home games. It's easy to criticise, but you can't complain if the season is cancelled if you were happy to take whatever money you could, ignoring the consequences. 150 in theory, or even 300, spread around. Not one club had the bollocks to say home fans only.

To be fair it was a good month or two between those two points. We were still being encouraged to Eat Out to Help Out at the point of the Colls-Scarborough game so any sort of restrictions other than overall numbers would have been ridiculed at the time. 

9 minutes ago, Carlos said:

Scarborough played a home game against Ashton 3 days after the Colls game behind closed doors. If they can’t get in to a home game, why the fuckery were they allowed to head to M46?

It was only announced late on the Saturday after the Colls game. To be fair, I was in Scarborough the week before that so there absolutely weren’t any travel restrictions, to the extent that we even managed a couple of days in North Wales the same week which has been nigh on impossible whenever there’s been any sort of threat.

I don’t think any sort of away fan ban is feasible at non-league level unless games were made all ticket and fans had to show photo & address ID to get in. Neither of which are particular feasible.  

15 minutes ago, Carlos said:

Off until 6th March now, null and void city!

No other option once it reaches that point. Although the two year season might have made sense in hindsight, I’m not convinced even that would have been finished in the end. And that’s without whatever issues it might have created with the National League. 

Will keep my standing order running anyroad and a few quid for the inevitable GoFundMe. 

• Moderators

The 6th March thing is better than a rolling postponement, but it is essentially null and voiding it already in not so many words. Prejudicing any subsequent vote.

GoFundMe is a mad world, Daisy Hill have raised nearly as much as Colls. People wanted to do this years ago and were laughed out the club. Clubs like Stalybridge doing online football cards. Going to be a fucking tough next few months.