Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Megsons Fans Forum

captainmed

Speaking ahead of the trip to Tranmere Rovers, Megson said:

?We have to stop looking at targets that are maybe too far ahead.

Before I got this job, the team had picked up two points from a possible 18 and had let in 25 goals in the last six games. That?s the reality of where we are ? twice as near to the relegation zone as the promotion zone."

It sounds like avoiding relegation to the basement is Megson's ambition for Sheffield Wednesday

Speaking ahead of the trip to Tranmere Rovers, Megson said:

?We have to stop looking at targets that are maybe too far ahead.

Before I got this job, the team had picked up two points from a possible 18 and had let in 25 goals in the last six games. That?s the reality of where we are ? twice as near to the relegation zone as the promotion zone."

It sounds like avoiding relegation to the basement is Megson's ambition for Sheffield Wednesday

I hate the fact that Megson is brought up so regularly

But I have to admit, I read that and had a wry smile...I'm so glad he's not "our" cunt anymore

ace

he said after saturday's 3-0 the players thought they just had to turn up to win

followed up with another 3-0

I'll enjoy their flirtation with relegation

Said on tv the other night SWFC have another 4 away games before there next home one.

If there poor form continues how long will it be before GM blames the SW fans :lol:.

• Moderators

I hate the fact that Megson is brought up so regularly

But I have to admit, I read that and had a wry smile...I'm so glad he's not "our" cunt anymore

too right

I'm "over" Megson, to be honest, when he was in charge he was never that much of a problem "on the pitch" for me, cack footy at times but no different than under sam/coyle

it was just HIM, and his demanour, he was/is a dour cunt of a man

I love to mock this and will continue to do so regardless of who he manages and how well he does

for me it's nowt to do with lisbon or playing 4-5-1 against hull or any of that

"Before I got this job, the team had picked up two points from a possible 18 and had let in 25 goals in the last six games" is the new "rock bottom when I took over with 5 points"

• Site Supporter

Anyone seen the letter from Super John to Megson?

Mates just sent me a picture of it, not sure if it's real but it's very funny.

Can't upload picture, on my phone, but I think it could be in the Bolton News.

Here is the link

http://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/wanderers/wanderersnews/8871763.John_McGinlay_Column__Letter_to_Mr_Megson/

too right

I'm "over" Megson, to be honest, when he was in charge he was never that much of a problem "on the pitch" for me, cack footy at times but no different than under sam/coyle

it was just HIM, and his demanour, he was/is a dour cunt of a man

I love to mock this and will continue to do so regardless of who he manages and how well he does

for me it's nowt to do with lisbon or playing 4-5-1 against hull or any of that

"Before I got this job, the team had picked up two points from a possible 18 and had let in 25 goals in the last six games" is the new "rock bottom when I took over with 5 points"

Something tell's me this phrase is going to be over-indulged by Megson over the coming couple of years, assuming he avoids the drop.

Gotta love SJM, he's still as passionate for our club as he was in his playing days, i'd love to see him alongside OC on the Reebok touchline in the near future.

Bit wordy

I think he could have summarised

Oi, Megson

Your'e a cunt

I know a lot of Wednesday fans, having worked in that city for a good while in the past. They're far worse than us when it comes to abusing/harassing managers. If Megson thinks he's in a safe port there, he's very much mistaken. He needs promotion and a good second season in the Championship or he'll be hounded out of there even faster and with more hostility than he ever got here.

Probably why he's going all out on the PR job.

Is that why he's got his own thread with 2 pages so far?

That's not a fair comment

Most folk are simply reacting to his constant commentary on BWFC

Maybe if he stopped talking about us, we'd then have no reason to talk about him

I hardly think he says what he does in the media as a reaction to what WW's posters say about him

Basically, he started it sir.... :D

Went to a dinner last night with Paul Merson as speaker. He said that after his Pompey days he wanted to get back to the Midlands where he'd settled down (previously with Villa).

Harry Redknapp arranged for him to go to West Brom on a free but Merson said 'There was fucks chance I was going to spend all season kicking the ball into the corner flags for that ginger wanker' :D

• Site Supporter

Went to a dinner last night with Paul Merson as speaker. He said that after his Pompey days he wanted to get back to the Midlands where he'd settled down (previously with Villa).

Harry Redknapp arranged for him to go to West Brom on a free but Merson said 'There was fucks chance I was going to spend all season kicking the ball into the corner flags for that ginger wanker' :D

like it, was Merson good, heard some good reports about him as after dinner speaker.

more nonsense from the bitter bastard...

Bolton fans may have tried to airbrush him out of their history, but Gary Megson hasn't forgotten.

He hasn't forgotten the stick he took at the Trotters, from the night he was appointed in October 2007 and a "scruffy git" told him he wasn't wanted to the day two years later when he was finally hounded out.

Neither has he forgotten the lack of recognition he got for saving Bolton from oblivion, or for being the only Bolton boss to beat Manchester United at the Reebok, or for making history by guiding them to the last 16 of the old UEFA Cup.

Bolton fans, in their haste to hail current manager Owen Coyle as the Messiah, conveniently overlook the fact that his success has been built on the solid foundations laid by Megson.

All this rankles with the proud Megson and as he begins another salvage job at his beloved Sheffield Wednesday - "a miles bigger club than Bolton" - he is keen to put the record straight.

"It sticks in my craw, the stick I took," he said. "I'm the only English manager to go to Red Star Belgrade and win - and we did it with the reserve team.

"I must be the only man in history who got slagged off on the radio for winning 4-1 at Sunderland.

"It's difficult to stomach, because people don't realise how much trouble that club was in. I got there and the staff were fighting among themselves, there were two different camps of players. All that had to be brought together.

"It was public knowledge that they were ?96million in debt, so imagine what would have happened if that club had gone down.

"The average age when I was there was 32. I leave after two years and the average age is 26. Out of the squad I took over, we got rid of 34 players and only two went to Premier League clubs, which would suggest that 32 of them were not up to the job.

"When Sammy Lee left Bolton, they asked Abdou Meite what could be done and he said something like, there's only Sam Allardyce or Jesus Christ who can save Bolton from getting relegated. I'm neither, but we still did it.

"Not only did we keep them up, we took them to mid-table, we lowered the wage bill, we lowered the running costs massively, saving them millions. In total the net spend was ?9m.

"I'm incredibly pleased that everything I did was justified."

Having been appointed by Wednesday earlier this month following the end of his one-year exile on gardening leave, Megson is under no illusions about the size of the job facing him at his and his dad Don's former club.

With the Owls 10 points off the play-offs, five points off the drop zone and enduring a nine-game winless league run, he admits their promotion hopes have gone.

"It's too late for this season," he said. "We're twice as near to relegation as we are to the play-offs. We're not going to put right 15 years of neglect in a few months. It's going to take time."

Today's FA Cup clash with Birmingham at St Andrew's gives Wednesday something to aspire to, but Megson insists he isn't jealous.

"Birmingham is a nice ground, but it's not as good as Hillsborough," he said. "The crowd won't be as big as what we get either. We are miles bigger and it's just that they have been brilliantly run and we haven't, for a long time."

like it, was Merson good, heard some good reports about him as after dinner speaker.

You'll enjoy it mate, he was piss funny, didnt hold back, very open and honest about his addictions and takes the piss out of himself a lot. Worth the money anyway.

IHe was on the next table to us and I asked him 'If I mentioned "Dean Holdsworth" what would you say?'.

He said 'faaaaaaacking hell, what a miss' :D

Said we'd battered them that day and spoke well of Bruce Rioch too.

more nonsense from the bitter bastard...

Bolton fans may have tried to airbrush him out of their history, but Gary Megson hasn't forgotten.

He hasn't forgotten the stick he took at the Trotters, from the night he was appointed in October 2007 and a "scruffy git" told him he wasn't wanted to the day two years later when he was finally hounded out.

Neither has he forgotten the lack of recognition he got for saving Bolton from oblivion, or for being the only Bolton boss to beat Manchester United at the Reebok, or for making history by guiding them to the last 16 of the old UEFA Cup.

Bolton fans, in their haste to hail current manager Owen Coyle as the Messiah, conveniently overlook the fact that his success has been built on the solid foundations laid by Megson.

All this rankles with the proud Megson and as he begins another salvage job at his beloved Sheffield Wednesday - "a miles bigger club than Bolton" - he is keen to put the record straight.

"It sticks in my craw, the stick I took," he said. "I'm the only English manager to go to Red Star Belgrade and win - and we did it with the reserve team.

"I must be the only man in history who got slagged off on the radio for winning 4-1 at Sunderland.

"It's difficult to stomach, because people don't realise how much trouble that club was in. I got there and the staff were fighting among themselves, there were two different camps of players. All that had to be brought together.

"It was public knowledge that they were ?96million in debt, so imagine what would have happened if that club had gone down.

"The average age when I was there was 32. I leave after two years and the average age is 26. Out of the squad I took over, we got rid of 34 players and only two went to Premier League clubs, which would suggest that 32 of them were not up to the job.

"When Sammy Lee left Bolton, they asked Abdou Meite what could be done and he said something like, there's only Sam Allardyce or Jesus Christ who can save Bolton from getting relegated. I'm neither, but we still did it.

"Not only did we keep them up, we took them to mid-table, we lowered the wage bill, we lowered the running costs massively, saving them millions. In total the net spend was ?9m.

"I'm incredibly pleased that everything I did was justified."

Having been appointed by Wednesday earlier this month following the end of his one-year exile on gardening leave, Megson is under no illusions about the size of the job facing him at his and his dad Don's former club.

With the Owls 10 points off the play-offs, five points off the drop zone and enduring a nine-game winless league run, he admits their promotion hopes have gone.

"It's too late for this season," he said. "We're twice as near to relegation as we are to the play-offs. We're not going to put right 15 years of neglect in a few months. It's going to take time."

Today's FA Cup clash with Birmingham at St Andrew's gives Wednesday something to aspire to, but Megson insists he isn't jealous.

"Birmingham is a nice ground, but it's not as good as Hillsborough," he said. "The crowd won't be as big as what we get either. We are miles bigger and it's just that they have been brilliantly run and we haven't, for a long time."

Wrong he has received credit for that and most the other factual elements in this article - but he just misses the point over and over again and it's the point he missed at forest, WBA (board), stoke from reent history to be truly successful you have to engage with all stakeholders in the club from 1st team players not in your plans to fans to tea ladies he just can't help himself the sad sad man - oh and he also forgets we were in the Bottom 3 when he started and when he left - i saw Merson couple of months ago at Little Lever CC was a good night I thought he was ok but one of them speakers rattled off his script and then did one which is fair enough it was funny especially the Walsall Manager stint

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.